Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 29th March 2020, 19:37
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight connector issue

Some time back I bought some fancy ceramic headlight connectors because apparently the plastic ones are prone to melting with Halogen bulbs.

Ceramic Headlight connector by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

But....the terminals that came with the connectors are the wrong size (6.3mm) so I have ordered some 7.8mm ones.

Wrong size terminals by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

A bit odd so I wondered if anyone else had come across this issue?
Available from eBay
Old 4th April 2020, 09:48
Enthusiast

All sorted now. The 7.8mm (5/16") spades fit perfectly and they fit in the ceramic casing fine. Must have been a batch fitted with the wrong size spades.
Old 4th April 2020, 10:08

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Can I ask where you got the ceramic connectors? I ask because although they seem readily available, all the ones I've seen have a partial loom attached, and I'd prefer separate terminals (of the correct size) to attach to my wires.
Old 4th April 2020, 17:32

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
All sorted now. The 7.8mm (5/16") spades fit perfectly and they fit in the ceramic casing fine. Must have been a batch fitted with the wrong size spades.
I think you are correct Peter and the wrong ones were supplied.

And keep up the good work. It is a joy to behold and gladdens the heart in these uncertain times. Peter
Old 4th April 2020, 17:42

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
Can I ask where you got the ceramic connectors? I ask because although they seem readily available, all the ones I've seen have a partial loom attached, and I'd prefer separate terminals (of the correct size) to attach to my wires.
I have fitted these ceramic type connectors to my Marlin Hunter and to a classic, both of which have remote headlights in bowls so no ventilation / cooling. With upgrade to QhZ bulbs both suffered from melted plastic connectors.

I bought them complete with tails which I soldered to the existing wiring, plus two layers of heat shrink sleeving (put on first!) for added insulation. Since fitting them, problem cured!

I bought one pair from AES but have also bought identical ones from autojumbles. Consequently I now have at least one pair in stock! As you do!

The AES link is below. Peter.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....010/category/7
Old 5th April 2020, 09:38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
Unfortunately, they were cheap ones from China off ebay. (Buy cheap, buy twice!) They did come with the tails that you see on all of them but they had the wrong size spade connectors. As suggested by Peter, I think buying some from a reputable supplier would be a safer bet. I have used AES https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ for other parts and they have all been good quality parts. You can buy the 7.8mm spades separately if you want to join them to your loom directly.
Old 5th April 2020, 09:44
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey V8 Pete View Post
And keep up the good work. It is a joy to behold and gladdens the heart in these uncertain times. Peter
Thanks Peter, glad you are enjoying my updates.
The quality of this kit is in a different league to most. All the holes line up and the panels fit together perfectly. A tribute to John Barlow who designed the car and the laminators who made the body panels.
Old 5th April 2020, 12:27

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Unfortunately, they were cheap ones from China off ebay. (Buy cheap, buy twice!) They did come with the tails that you see on all of them but they had the wrong size spade connectors. As suggested by Peter, I think buying some from a reputable supplier would be a safer bet. I have used AES https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ for other parts and they have all been good quality parts. You can buy the 7.8mm spades separately if you want to join them to your loom directly.
Thanks for the info - complete connectors plus some spades it is! I guess they all probably originate from China, but I'm more than happy to buy from AES, I've had very good service from them previously.
Old 8th April 2020, 22:09

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Car Builder Solutions have them at £3 +vat. I don't know about the quality. They have 150mm fly leads.