Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 30th March 2013, 12:10
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Pilgrim Cars

It looks like Pilgrim Cars are planning to wind down to a 'spare parts only' company.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/pilgr...usiness-5.html

It's a shame to see such a big supplier who brought affordable kit cars to the general public with the famous 'A car is born' video having to take these steps.
Available from eBay
Old 31st March 2013, 11:12
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

It is a shame but I'm not totally surprised.

My first and only kit build to date was a Pilgrim Sumo. Very cheap way of getting into the Cobra hot seat. Cost me about £9k all in to build a V6 based Cobra, loved it although I did stray away from the standard build to make it look less 'Pilgrim'

That was 1989 and it looks like they are using the same ad material from that period. Once they were the go to budget Cobra, now there is no longer a big price differential.

Sammio and Tribute have clearly shown that there is still massive interest in the 'budget' end of the kit car market.

John
Old 31st March 2013, 11:31

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Just read the link, it looks like the operation isn't closing but scaling down to something more like Sammio and Tribute offer. You'll still be able to buy a body and chassis with a basic instruction pamphlet and the rest is up to you. And like the owner says, if you need more help than that then you're probably not capable of finishing one anyway.

That opens up possibilities for the more adventurous builder too. Why not find a suitable chassis donor to take the pilgrim body so you can avoid the onerous IVA test? I've often wondered if old 3 or 5 series Beemers would fit under the Cobra shell. Just a thought...