Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 15th September 2020, 09:08

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Kidney Stones

I passed five of these over three or four days a few years back: the last one took 15 hours:. 'Regular' pain hasn't seemed so bad since .

Thanks for commiserations.

Regards, Mick
Old 19th September 2020, 08:14

Exclamation Rare Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
With advancing years, I'm not sure that I've got another build in me. The only one that I'd definitely go for would be a Sherpley, but so few were made (I think I've heard 12?) that the likelihood of a part completed project coming up is remote, but never say never!

Thanks for kind comment regarding my posts, given the many hiccups along the way so far, I'm sure there'll be a good few more to report on before the thread morphs into 'on the road'.

Regards, Mick

My daily eBay Kit Car and Replica searches turned this up this morning. Lots I don't like about it, but lots I do. If only my between houses car access was a little wider, and I was loaded...

Regards, Mick
Old 19th September 2020, 10:59

paul_n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
With advancing years, I'm not sure that I've got another build in me. The only one that I'd definitely go for would be a Sherpley, but so few were made (I think I've heard 12?) that the likelihood of a part completed project coming up is remote, but never say never!

Regards, Mick
About 4-5 years ago one came up on Ebay unstarted with a donor Sherpa about £8k IIRC.

There are 2 versions :-

Speed 6 - original with custom chassis and Sherpa running gear usually with better engine , picture in first post

Speed 4 - same body kit but made to fit Sherpa chassis and use van's engine

Speed 4 is easier build as no SVA however front looks wrong as springs not attached to ends of chassis - like the £28k listed !

I have 2 kit car reviews and original build manual [ vague does not cover it ! ] and some other stuff , PM me an email address and they could be winging there way to you.

I am building a Edwardian ' tribute ' on a Freight Rover chassis as I decided if I had a Sherpley I would spend all my money and time chasing the Blower Bentley look and not being happy with the results ?

If I build in the style off no one can say that's not right , and like your Moss I want to drive past and someone say ' what the h*ll was that !

I have sat in/seen a Sherpley that was for sale a couple of years ago , door on passenger side hard to get into and get under steering wheel very uncomfortable when sat in it and the build was crude [ maybe like your Moss ? ] I have pictures of that as well.

All the best Paul

Last edited by paul_n; 19th September 2020 at 12:15..
Old 19th September 2020, 13:30

Default Yes Please :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_n View Post
I am building an Edwardian ' tribute ' on a Freight Rover chassis.

Why not start a thread, or maybe there is one and I've missed it?

Many thanks for above info. and kind offer.

You have a PM.

Regards, Mick
Old 19th September 2020, 17:49

Quote:

Why not start a thread, or maybe there is one and I've missed it?

Many thanks for above info. and kind offer.

You have a PM.

Regards, Mick
Very kind of you to invite me onto the forum.

I do have a thread , but not here !

https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/ga...s-1920s-471162

I am trying to turn a Sherpa into a lose copy of this:-

this is the plan ?

I did build a 1/6 scale model [ Action man sized ! ]

with an idea of the internals ?

mocking it up :-

You can see how high I will be ? looks like any higher and I will take my head off on the garage door !

Also you cannot see the front wheel I have moved engine/gearbox back about 30" !

I did not chose this forum , although I am a frequent visitor as:-

a) I am not building a kit car.
b) I felt I was going to have all sorts of grief in the build, like my steering column is now about 40" from the steering box so I choose a hot rod forum as
it is more their field of expertise , your car's look marvellous , however you tend to favour a single donor and rebody.
c) some of the hot rod,s have used Sherpas in the past

all the best Paul

ps will answer PM when I am on my desk PC and can assess the situation regards the volume of the stuff

Last edited by paul_n; 19th September 2020 at 22:07..
Old 28th September 2020, 11:49

Default Win one, lose one.

Since bleeding the brakes I've had zero enthusiasm for things mechanical as the A352 has been playing silly buggers yet again.

Yesterday I had a slight feebleness bypass and decided to address a couple of Weber related problems. The first was the attachment points for the air cleaner. There are four M5 tappings in the carb. body, two if which were completely stripped, and the other two almost. Looking at the meagre amount of cast ally around these, I'd previously fought shy of tapping them out to M6, as disaster seemed to be beckoning. Sod it, I thought, it's got to be done. I gaffer taped over the choke holes etc., carefully cleaned my M6 tap and set to with extreme caution, backing off every couple of turns and popping a drop of oil in to pick up the swarf. A nervous 40 minutes or so later the job was done.

Next question: screws or studs? I decided on the latter, cut four to length, thoroughly cleaned both them and the carb. tappings with acetone, and screwed them in with Loctite. Another job done. The second problem will have to wait.

I quit while I was ahead.

I'd been to Sainsbury's in the Lotus earlier and thought I'd go for a spin as the forecast for the rest of the week wasn't too clever. Despite the brilliant sunshine and the Lotus being bright red, I wasn't able to.

I generally think of Gloucester as fuckwit central, but this took the biscuit, the surprise being that it was 'only' a BMW rather than a Chelsea Tractor. I couldn't be fagged to go knocking on the doors of my legion of numpty neighbours so, despite the miniature Satan on my shoulder urging me to key it or douse it in brake fluid, wrote a polite (yes, really!) note in huge black felt tip and trapped it under a wiper. I heard it leave as dusk fell.

Regards, Mick
Old 28th September 2020, 12:16

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

I know you shouldn't have to but anotice saying 'Entrance in constant use Please do not obstruct' might work. BMW owners are often a bit thick but will respond to a warning. If you knew where it was rig the Police and tell them about the party he is attending. Get the council to put a white line by your drive. I love the S4 Lotus, not widely appreciated but nice.
Old 28th September 2020, 14:07

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Ask the council to paint a solid white line on the road to try and stop idiots from blocking your access,
Old 28th September 2020, 15:42

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Ask the council to paint a solid white line on the road to try and stop idiots from blocking your access,
They will only do that if you have a legitimate dropped kerb and looking at the kerb-maybe not.

Last edited by froggyman; 28th September 2020 at 15:43.. Reason: spelling
Old 28th September 2020, 16:35

Still worth asking, or paint one youself! You can get Rollls of white line, lay it ad melt it with a blowtorch. Then deny all knowledge,' Doh I thought you did

Last edited by Dpaz; 28th September 2020 at 16:39..
Old 29th September 2020, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
Still worth asking, or paint one yourself! You can get Rollls of white line, lay it ad melt it with a blowtorch. Then deny all knowledge,' Doh I thought you did
I did one myself outside my gate using aerosol line marking paint so I could get my motorbike in and out. Did it make a blind (yep) bit of difference? Nope. Gloucester is technically a city but the mentality is that of an isolated medieval village...

Thanks for kind words regarding the S4. It garners nearly as much interest as the A352 . I'm displaying it at the Castle Combe Historic meeting this weekend, I'd better get the bucket and sponge out!

Regards, Mick
Old 29th September 2020, 08:43

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Still pretty advanced compared to people from the Forest !
Old 29th September 2020, 10:01

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Still pretty advanced compared to people from the Forest !
Ah, the joys of a trip to play rugby in Lydney or Berry Hill.
Old 29th September 2020, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
Ah, the joys of a trip to play rugby in Lydney or Berry Hill.
Surely they won every time, what with their extra fingers giving them superior ball grip?

The after game banjo concerts weren't much consolation either...

Regards, Mick
Old 31st October 2020, 12:50

Talking Woo Hoo!

Today the nice postperson delivered my new V5c

'Triumph Moss Monaco'. That'll do.

Re-bleed brakes; cover seats; get her running properly; buy insurance; job done.

Maybe I can replicate the original inspirational photograph this Yuletide after only four years?

Regards, Mick
Old 31st October 2020, 14:59

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Well done ! A simple enough process once you've gone through it a couple of times.
Old 31st October 2020, 15:18

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Good afternoon Mick , maybe worrying to much but is it wise to put on the net the details from your V5 , Geoff .
Old 31st October 2020, 19:21

It looks great and I remember that feeling of 'At last its legal and on the road'. Congratulations!
Old 31st October 2020, 22:13

Mick

Excellent achievement !

Surprised to see the Number of seats was not filled in ?

Also you don't seem to have to specify the number of doors ? glad really as I can't decided between 2 , 1 or 0 doors

Paul
Old 6th November 2020, 07:19

Thumbs up Homing in....

Yesterday I wandered down to the sunlit cave and re-bled both the clutch and brakes, this time successfully. Riding that wave, and with a freshly charged battery and a squirt of ether, I fired her up. Lumpy and reluctant to idle, but running . The next two days are forecast fine here in Gloucester, so I can have a good game under the metaphorical bonnet.

It seems that, at long last, I have a genuine purchaser for the A352. Its insurance runs out on 2 December so perhaps everything will fall nicely into place?

Regards, Mick