Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 3rd February 2015, 08:58

zèbre69 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Thanks for your response !

I will work on my sammio on the month of may, the weather will be better than now, too cold for me !

Don't worry, during the winter I work in others projects and drive my others cars or solex ! Few pictures :

My traction 11BL 1955 during a trip with wife and childs with clothes acroding to the year 60's

My new project bought 2 weeks ago , a good barn find ! another citroen 11BL but older because built in 1952.

Thats all falks !

New pictures of my SAMMIO project here :
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...3208#post63208

Last edited by zèbre69; 3rd February 2015 at 09:08..
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Sebastien - Great photos, you have a lot of nice toys.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Scratching The Surface:
The good news is I am slowly catching up on all my non car related stuff.

The bad news is that I just can't find the time for a decent session on the car.

But I do know that if I get out of the habit of working on it, it is much harder to start again.

So as long as I can do even a little bit of tinkering that is still a good thing.

I plan to use a thin layer of bonding paste between the petrol cap base base ring and the body shell.

But I will also use some rivets to hold everything in the right place until the bonding stuff has set.

So whilst the ring will look like it is only fixed in by the rivets, but it will actually be more secure.

This meant drilling six holes around the outside for the rivets to sit.

Then I drilled a pilot hole so I can cut out the inner circle when I finally get some new jigsaw blades.

Finally, I just tidied up the hole edges with my angle grinder.

Although it did make a refreshing change to be pulling metal splinters out of my fingers, rather than fibreglass ones.

Then I found the box with my fog light switch in.
( I'm still lovin' my new box filing / index system. )

This originally came with a three pin socket fitted to it like this.

So I pulled out the box with all my spare wiring in it, so see if I had a match.

The good news is that I do have the other side of the socket.

The bad news is that it appears that I have already "recycled" one of the three wires for another part of the loom.

Still, at least I can remove the pin and carefully re-wire it if I need to.

But first I just need to double check the Spitfire wiring diagram to work out just how many wires I need & where I will re-attach this to the loom.

Thankfully that is a job I can easily do indoors, regardless of the weather outside.

Side Repeaters - To fit, or not to fit?
I posted a link to the rules about side repeaters on the Tribute side of the fence the other day, which got me thinking.

My car is actually old enough to be legally driven without side repeaters.

But given the generally poor driving standards in London, I thought they might be worth fitting anyway.

Plus I had a spare set after I decided they were too small to use as front indicators.

I have already built in the required connections into the loom, but they would be easy to blank off.

The last time I looked at options for fitting them, I realised they would highlight the difference on each side of the body shell.

But now I plan to extend the body shell to include the bottom of the bonnet, so this problem will go away.

Anyway, thinking about the wiring for the fog light switch is tempting me to make a decision about this one way, or the other.

Question:
Do you think fitting these side repeaters is a good idea?
- Will it look like an old racing car put back on the road recently with modern lighting?
( Similar to my old style wooden dash, with some modern heater controls fitted underneath. )
- Or will it look more like a modern car pretending to be an old car?

Obviously I know the last statement is what I am actually doing, but I wont tell anyone if you don't.

Note:
I will not be able to fit an ageless number plate until after the car is on the road with an MOT.
Although the decision to buy one may well depend on how much I have spent by that point.

So that's all for now, until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:15

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

Scratching The Surface:

But I do know that if I get out of the habit of working on it, it is much harder to start again.

So as long as I can do even a little bit of tinkering that is still a good thing.
I had a two and a half week break while I rectified my ex-wife's car after a mammoth MOT fail. When I came back to the Marlin I had some very negative thoughts... I couldn't see a single task I felt like doing, although in fact there were several which needed doing. Gradually my interest has returned and I am now back at full steam. It take a great deal of will power and self control to keep plugging away, especially when you feel it could have been easier had you started from a different place. In my case this car is my second choice, I actually wanted the car I have already built but was rejected by DVLA.
Old 3rd February 2015, 18:48

swifty is on a distinguished road

Paul my feelings are i think side repeater will spoil the look of the car if you are trying to replicate a fifties style so if your car does not require them then don't fit unless you personally feel they may make it safer.
Old 3rd February 2015, 20:06

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul, I think side repeaters are a good idea for self and passenger preservation on today's roads. How about incorporating lamps with clear lenses and orange bulbs in some sort of stainless or aluminium motif to disguise them when not in use? In my opinion the orange lamps look wrong for your car and would spoil the overall look.
Old 4th February 2015, 07:55

davecymru is on a distinguished road

umm.....

I think it's a totally personal choice, but lets evaluate the main pro's and con's

Pro's - Safety
Con's - Looks

There... as clear as mud!

TBH i'm also completely undecided about fitting side repeaters. All i do know is if i ever do then they will either have to be:
a) Hidden in some way so that you can only see them when they're on.
or
b) Period looking to fit in with the rest of the car.
Old 4th February 2015, 08:45
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Side repeater are a good thing as are 4 way flashers.
As Paul said on today roads anything that tell the "idiots" which way your going can't be bad but as the side repeater's are nornaly on a blank panel they tend to show up more than the fixed indicators.

4 way flashers or hazzards are also a must, I personaly I would hate to brake down on a main road or motorway hard sholder with-out a set of 4 way hazzards flashing

If you look closly at my G-46 that had both fitted.
The side reperter where mini led style (about 15mm dia) with a chrome surround, small but very bright, and I think the look quite "period".
Old 4th February 2015, 08:54

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I'm not being facetious, but the ultimate period-look for a car with an open cockpit is to back-up your indicators with hand signals.

Hazards are a must, and you can flap both arms for that.
Old 4th February 2015, 10:33
Enthusiast

Hand signal are not in the highway code any more so you'll just get the "idiots" waving back
Old 4th February 2015, 11:25

Ed - I know it is easy to get disheartened when there are so many things much left to do.
But in order to finish the car, every job needs to be completed, no matter how small.
So I do feel better if I manage to take even the smallest of steps towards the finish line.

Swifty, Froggyman, Dave, Micky & Oxford - Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

I guess the safety aspect needs to be put into the overall context of the car itself.
As we are not building sturdy Volvo estates with modern crumble zones and air bags.

I only considered fitting side repeaters as they were "left over" & I like recycling bits.
However, I think I will stick to KISS principles and not make extra work for myself.

Note:
The original Spitfire hazard warning switch and all associated wiring has been retained.

More Holes:
A new jigsaw blade made light work of the centre hole in the petrol cap base.

Although, given I could only 'clamp & cut' a small section at a time, it wasn't my neatest job.

Once the inside edges were tidied up with a hand file I could test fit the rubber seal.

Whilst the jigsaw was "loaded", I dragged it to the front of the house and cut the body shell.

Unfortunately, the passenger hump was in the way this time, so another untidy hole.

But at least the rubber seal fitted inside the hole.

This allowed me to test fit the metal ring over the hole with the seal in place.

Then I marked up the rivet holes on some masking tape stuck to the body shell.

Before drilling them out.

Then I could test fit the petrol cap that came with my donor in position.

I had to use the flash for this next photo which isn't great.

But you can see that with just a smear of bonding paste & the rivets to pull the ring tight to the body shell, this will be a good fit.

So I am happy with that and thanks to Dave for giving me the idea in the first place.

Also the new fuel hose arrived today.

But I will not cut that to shape until the body shell have been bonded into position.

Even though this was a small job, it was a great boost to morale to see the petrol cap it place.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 4th February 2015 at 11:27.. Reason: Typo
Old 4th February 2015, 11:26

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

I also think it will spoil the period look Paul.

I have had lots of cars without side repeaters and never had a safety problem with any of them
Old 4th February 2015, 11:27

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
Hand signal are not in the highway code any more so you'll just get the "idiots" waving back
Errr...

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...road-users.pdf

Unless this PDF is out of date of course...
Old 4th February 2015, 11:30

Scottie - Cheers.

Sorry we posted at the same time.
Old 5th February 2015, 07:35

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Nice result on the filler ring!
Old 5th February 2015, 14:02

Ed - I've seen a few hand signals whilst driving that don't appear in the Highway Code.

Dave - Cheers, I like the fact I can now use the original Spitfire petrol cap seal.

Wiring Diagram:
I've only had the chance to have a brief look at the wiring diagram for the fog light switch today.

It took me a little while to confirm that I did in fact have the two correct halves of the 3 pin connector.

As the switch has Black / Green / Black & White wires, but the other side of the connection has Black / Red & Green / Blue & Red ones.

Despite this, the connections required are quite simple:
- Black to earth
- One wire to the fog lights
- One wire to the battery

The original Spitfire set up took the battery feed from the headlight switch.

But I also found this in the MOT rules:

A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems.

So I could connect to any of the wires that lead back to the battery.

I'm sure Mister Towed mentioned something about the fact that the Herald headlight switch was independent of the ignition switch.
( In other words, someone could just flick the switch while you were parked and the lights would come on, draining the battery. )

It appears that the Spitfire has a similar set up, although I didn't check this on the donor before taking it apart.

However, I think my battery cut off switch would prevent this (when it is turned off).

Either way, I need to have another look at my wiring loom and see where the easiest place to connect the fog light switch will be.

Mirror:
The other thing I have been looking at is some sketches I made for a plinth design for the passenger side wing mirror.
( As I am actively looking for small jobs that I can fit around my time and the weather. )

Initially I was thinking of making this is metal in a similar way to Mr T.

But now I think I will be able to get a better "aero" shape if I make it in fibreglass around a foam mould.

I am only planning to raise the mirror on the passenger side, the driver's one can stay fixed to the body shell.

With a bit of luck, having an obviously difference from one side to the other will draw your eye away from other areas.

Exhaust:
Finally I may steal another idea from Dave's Miglia, as I really like his exhaust shield.

Which would be a nice finishing touch to my twin pipe arrangement.
( Excuse the old photo. )

Although as I don't have any alloy sheet knocking around, I might make them is steel & then paint them body colour.

Which would match the look of the metal petrol cap base ring, especially if I added a few rivets to it.

So until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 6th February 2015, 06:51

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Reference the tail pipe bling Paul, if you like I will cut out a lump of stainless steel big enough to make what you want, and mail it to you?

That would look really nice, ( Just like chrome if you polish it and like ally if you don't) Let me know.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:28

Scottie - Thanks for the kind offer, I really appreciate it.
Although I'd like to have a go at making them in steel first to see if they would look OK painted.
At least when I've made the templates I'll know how much I would need.

A Collection of Small Jobs - Part 1:
It is never a good sign when I have to take ice off the cover, before I take the cover off the car.

I removed the dash from the car, so I could play with this section for the fog light switch.

Unfortunately, I dropped one of the fixing nuts and it has "disappeared" somewhere.

My luck didn't improve much when I realised I couldn't re-use the old choke hole.

Because my home made dash securing plate was bolted in behind it.

The next problem I had is that the back of the switch has to avoid the metalwork behind the dash too.

So I used some masking tape, and the right hand edge of the tape in the photo marks the edge of the metal.

The next "challenge" was the fact that when the switch was tightened into position, the backing plate was at an angle.

This limited my fitting options, so this was the best place I could find for the hole.

I just needed to file the hole out a big larger by hand until the switch surround could be tapped into place.

So this is where the fog light switch will sit, next to my new oil pressure guage.

And here is the view from the back.

While this section of dash was out, I also refitted the switch for the hazard lights and the indicator warning light.

I spent ages carefully trying to unpick the chopped earth wire from the original fog light connection pin.

Before I finally had the bright idea to have another look in my "spare" wiring bag.

Sure enough, I had another "spare" plug with a matching pin with wires already attached.

It literally took seconds to pop one of the pins out and fit it into the fog light connection.

I don't often think of an easy way of doing things, so I was very happy with that.

Then I was on a roll, as next I found one of the original fog light wires with a matching connection.

Although part of the other end of the wire had been recycled, so I crimped another section of wire on to extend it.
( This is the wire that will eventually run all the way to the back of the car. )

End of Part 1...
Old 6th February 2015, 12:32

A Collection of Small Jobs - Part 2:
Sticking with the fog light theme, I started to fit connectors to the fog lights themselves.

Based on Big Scary Monster/Ed's advice, the two power wires are joined together.

As this will be either off (reflector mode), or fully on (fog light mode).

Although, just for a bit of added fun & games, both lights had different coloured wires.

I did double check the wires with a battery before I joined them.

I am using simple blade connectors, because the wires will need to feed through a small hole in the body shell.
( The reflector mounting bolt is in the middle. )

I don't want to start wrapping the wires up just yet as I need to finalise my earthing points.

Next I started the process of removing the "extensions" I had previously built into the loom for the side repeaters.

Given how well I had wrapped up the wires in the first place, this took a while.

Eventually I was able to remove the extra wires.

But before I re-wrapped the loom I wanted to have a look at where I would re-connect the fog light switch.

So I started to lay everything out, so I could get a better look.

But at this point I realised I really should go back and double check the wiring diagram (again ).

However, I have a few other "non car" things to do first, so that is all for now.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
I know I wasn't working outside for long, but it is very cold out there.
Old 10th February 2015, 10:20

A weekend away with my family & then feeling under the weather has kept me away from my build recently.

Thankfully I did manage to get a small bit of wiring work done today.

The good news is I could do this work indoors and not get cold, which would not help my recovery.

But the bad news is that some of the indoor photos are poor.

Dash Board Wiring:
I dug out the new rubber seals I bought for the original dash board dials.

Then I refitted the speedo and rev counter.

Next I refitted the fuel & temp. gauges, plus the head light switch, to the middle section of the dash.

Then I simply wrapped the wires at the back of both the hazard & fog light switches.

The main reason for getting this stuff in place was to help me layout the loom at the back.

Which in turn, would give me a better idea of what I needed to do with the fog light switch wiring.

The easiest wire to sort out on the fog light switch is the one leading to the lights themselves.

There is a big block connector for all the wiring needed for the back end of the car (lighting & fuel gauge).

If I put the original fog light connector in the same place...

There is still enough wire leading back to the switch to run along the existing loom without any issues.
( I plan to simply wrap this wire to the outside of the existing wrapping, rather than unpick everything & start again. )

There is also an obvious point to earth the fog light switch, as it is near where the wooden dash is fixed to the metal one.

But rather than cut down the replacement earth wire I had fitted to the original connector, I swapped it for the other, shorter, wire.

This just left one fog light switch wire to sort out, which was the live/power feed.

After spending quite a bit of time looking at the wiring diagram, I think I have a solution.

There is currently a 3 way connector that is used by the hazard warning light switch (among other things).

This green wire allows the hazards to operate independently of the ignition.

So in theory, I could add the fog light switch to this circuit and it would operate in the same way.

I don't really fancy the idea of driving in conditions where I would need to put the fog lights on anyway.

So as long as I can keep the MOT tester happy, that will do for me.

The other good thing about using this connection is that is was in the same area as the side repeater extensions.

So I wouldn't need to unwrap any more of the loom to make the connection.

While I was at it, I also tidied up the wires where I removed the extension wires the other day.
( This will look a lot neater when the wrapping goes on over the top. )

Whilst wiring is one of the few areas I feel comfortable with, I want to check my fog light theory before making a permanent connection.

So at some point I will to connect the lights, switches, etc. up to the battery and see if it all works the way it should.

But for now, I think I will simply go and lie down, as I still feel rubbish.

Take care, Paul.
Old 10th February 2015, 18:28
Enthusiast

Hi Paul, I think the fog light has to operate with the dip beam and only with the dip beam ie; it shouldn't work with only the side lights or when the full beam is used, but I would check first as I could be wrong