Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 2nd June 2008, 20:59
Kit Car Dreamer

Vowlesy is on a distinguished road
Default So, I want to jump in the deep end?

Hey all,

Having sold my second car a few months ago now (An Mx-5 because I know work two yards down the road). I've been looking for a cheap to run, cheap to insure car because at my lovely age of 19 insurance just loves me! Someone mentioned kit-cars, and looking into it seems like a great idea. Having seen the 5EXi I loved it!

So, I have very little mechanical knowledge, engine wise and the likes but I'm handy with tools and good at electrics.

So basicly, what chance does someone like me, whos never even concived about building a kitcar before have with a 5EXi. Also what sort of time-frame would this project take, I've got roughly a year and half to insurance a car to keep my no-claims.
Any other info people wanna throw feel free!
Cheers,
Lee
Available from eBay
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:20
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

2 years isn't an unreasonable time frame, though it really depends how much time you can throw at it, and how pig-headed and determined you are.

It might be wiser financially, and more instantly rewarding to buy a well built caterfield.
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:05
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post
2 years isn't an unreasonable time frame, though it really depends how much time you can throw at it, and how pig-headed and determined you are.

Agreed! I had not built a car before and although I have had my kit for 2 years I have only been building for about 19 months properly and it is finished!

This time frame includes a hell of a lot of changes to everything from chassis to interior to engine mods so if just using standard kit I defo would have been finished after about a year

Craig
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:02
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Not an easy build by any means for a newbies. No a nut and bolt togther job like some other kit cars. So don't exect that.

But other newbie novices, including me have done it.

As above, depends how much time you can throw at the build, and ability.

Your looking at £10K at the very least. Most average around the £13K mark.

Good choice of engines though, 1.1 up to 2.0. Honda 1.6 Civic lump is a best bet for a young person I would have thought.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:42
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

Hi Lee,

I'm currently building now, and am a newbie, its manageable and you have taken the first right step by finding this forum as you well get load of help, when you get stuck chances are someone else has beforehand too.

The manual is not of the westfield or caterham haynes style it relys more on you working it out but provided you ask if your not sure you shouldnt go too far wrong.

I'm currently looking at just over the year mark to complete my build to the basic level e.g. through SVA and registered. That involves me spending approx 12 hours a week on the car on average.

My build is going to come out around the £14.5k mark, but £1k of that is the dash (which is optional).

I recommend hooking up with someother people who have built they can give you the full low down, whereabouts are you based, we may know a builder near you.

I think teh 5exi is unique for its look's in the kit car area so a good choice.

David.
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:46
Enthusiast

No No please don't mention costs!!
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:17
Enthusiast

Lee,

What are your aspirations for your second car? Unique looks, sense of smug satisfaction at driving a car built by your own skill and determination, Sunday driver, track toy, ¼ mile weapon?

Whilst not wanting to sound like a bore, I think it’s pretty important that you really consider what it is you want from the car, and secondly if in 2 years you’ll want the same things. At 19 I’d imagine you’ve got a fairly dynamic lifestyle, and consequently things could change quite significantly in 2 years.

Do you have friends / relatives with kit cars, and do you therefore have a feel for the whole build / ownership experience? Were you to build a car, would you be building it in your own garage, or would you be relying on the good nature of parents / friends to provide you with somewhere to build the car?

I’m still unsure, if I had my time again I’d build a 5EXI – I’d probably buy a cheap Elise with a dead drivetrain, and re-engine it with something more potent. That said, there’s no disputing the 5EXI a visually refreshingly different car, but that it’s a much lower volume machine means it has quite a few problems. My personal opinion is that by far and away the biggest flaw with the car is the dynamics – mine really did drive like a pig as it left Marlin. It’s not a case of the adjustable aspects of the suspension being horrendously aligned (they were about as good as it could be given the restraints), it’s the fundamental geometry that’s the issue. This is all my personal opinion of course, and some might have no issue with the way the cars handle, but my car was on the road for little more than 2 months before I decided to take it off the road and start correcting the myriad of foibles – it’s the most dynamically inept car I’ve driven asides from an LDV panel van! I’m not talking straight line pace, but predictability, and enjoyment of hustling along.

If you’re seriously considering building a 5EXI, PM a few people, and try and speak to them on the phone / in person. Likewise drop me a PM if you want my phone number and would like to discuss my experiences.

Good luck with your decision making.

John.

p.s. as for costs, you don't want to know what I've spent!
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
No No please don't mention costs!!
Sorry to depress everyone!
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:09
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Smile Buy one ready built!!!

Hi Lee,

Glad to hear of another exi enthusiast....

My build took me about 9 months with approx 450 hrs....100 of these were getting the body looking good ~(Bright orange gelcoat)

....not sure how delivery times are from Marlin at present with the factory move; but last time I spoke to David H he was struggling to get kit parts from Marlin anywhere near when he wanted them.

The solution....??...buy mine ready built!...if you check out Marlin's website in the for sale section or look on CKC website / mag you will see my car.

Built & SVA sept 06....CKC award at Capesthorne 07 & Marlin showcar at Donington in 07.

1.6K series, 4000 miles...great car...

PM me if you're interested or give me a call 01270 651042.

Rich
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:21
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

Lee

I would look seriously at Rich`s car I saw it last year at Stoneleigh and it does look very nice, and maybe a better buy than building one yourself.

If you are serios though about building a car, have a good look around, there are some very nice kits out there, also e bay is a good place to look for part builds that may save you forunes.

Whatever a kit manufacturer feels you can build a car for add 20+%, and make sure they include vat, some dont include it in order to make it look cheaper, an EXI will likely cost you an easy 14K if your lucky and can use all the donor parts.

The 14K will buy you alot of insurance even at your age.

If you live in the South East area, PM me and you can have a run in mine if you want more of an insight into a 1600K series.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:39
Enthusiast

Lee, basically two options here

1. buy the kit and enjoy the build,.... advice on here when needed! I have enjoyed my build and you do end up with something different

2.Or as john said buy an elise for about 6k (loads of them about) and drop a supercharged honda lump in it for another 5k if you do it yourself!! so 11k all in

You will end up with a car that will kill any supercar on the road, period!

Craig

ps If you choose the kit option think carfully about engine choice as the honda route is expensive! mine is probably sitting at about 27k give or take a couple of k and its not painted yet but it is built with all new parts
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:53
Kit Car Dreamer

Cheers for all the replies! Giving me loads of optiosn to reply to a few,
What am I after? Well, I like standing out amongst the crowd, while all my mates are still confined to 106s,saxos and clios. I had a RWD stunning MX-5 pictured below, you can see I took great care of it and even cleaned the engine bay up as well as installing a brand new raditor and replacing hoses.

So Im after the same thing really, a small, two seater 'sports' car that doesn't need to break land speed records but be 'nippy'. The elise idea sounds great and I'm already searching for some but they're all priced 10k and above and I'd need to see what insurance would say seeing as with two years no claims they wanted 2.8k for my Mx-5 which was a big reason to sell actually.
(Sold for a profit on ebay actually!)
Cheers again!
Lee
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowlesy View Post
The elise idea sounds great and I'm already searching for some but they're all priced 10k and above!
Lee
Where have you been looking to find them over 10k

30 seconds and found lots and lots under 8k and some under 7k with only 30k on the clock

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=558
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:15
Kit Car Dreamer

Ah mate your a star! Yup, getting some quick quotes of confused Im getting 2.5k mark, normally.. if I phone I can get a few quid off by posh sounding voice. Hmm, so I'd need a budget of say about 11k like you said for on the road, Christ thats just under a years income for me! Do love Elises though! But as Im in no hurry to get on the road, If could be worth my while looking for one a bit broken and fix it up. Theres a few really bad ones in eBay (Cat C write offs), that look totally flattened. Hmmm
Old 4th June 2008, 06:47
Enthusiast

Hi mate.

As above really, ready built, get Rich's.

Fancy getting your hands dirty, elise is a good option.

Build a 5EXi from scratch. Can spread the payments due to being in modules. But I suppose you can do that with the two options above with a loan.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:16
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Lee

I got just the car for you.

MG Midget.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/9/7...31136401_o.jpg

On eBay now, that would turn some heads....needs a bit of work, not fast but pretty.

eaa53

Last edited by eaa53; 4th June 2008 at 19:18.. Reason: wrong link
Old 4th June 2008, 19:27
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaa53 View Post
Lee

I got just the rusting shed for you.

MG Midget.

On eBay now, that would not turn some heads....needs a ton of work, not fast and very ugly.

eaa53

Old 4th June 2008, 19:36
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap that isn't 19 View Post
MG Midget.
that would turn some heads....for all the wrong reasons....
edited for accuracy!

[I've never understood the attraction of old MGs...... or the new badge cashing ones]
Old 5th June 2008, 07:15
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed View Post
or the new badge cashing ones]
Good for gear change spares.

MG GTS I've seen with a T16 turbo. Not straight forward, but is fun on the bends!

Videos

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver....Olly1strun.avi

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver....Olly2ndrun.avi

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver....nson/curb1.avi
Old 5th June 2008, 07:32
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

You 'boys' are cruel. I still thinks is a pretty car 'for its age'. When you grow up you will appreciate the finer things in life.

Yes its rusts but so does the 'original' powder coat on a kit car we all know.

My Midget has just had a few more years to develop the rust!