Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 21st July 2018, 13:41

nellieb is on a distinguished road
Default Cordite

Hi all,

Would you believe it, this is my Cordite! I am now using the fibreglass body as a buck and as you can see I am rebuilding an aluminium body, which will be left in its natural state. I have used the Cordite, now for at least 4 years. It has proved to be reliable and reasonably quick, due to the lightness of the body. I have a slightly tuned engine and the brakes and suspension have been upgraded. It always attracts positive attention and, I hope, with its aluminium body I will become more of a rarity and add to its lightness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37561308_10215118476128137_9129830273372913664_n.jpg (50.0 KB, 329 views)
Available from eBay
Old 21st July 2018, 15:01

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the rebody in aluminium. I love the look of unpainted aluminium bodied race cars from the 1950s and how challenging welding aluminium can be.
All the best Dave
Old 21st July 2018, 20:19

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Neil – Good luck with your efforts to build an aluminium body.

I take it you have seen Lucky’s build thread?

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=6588

What about this guy on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvD...GDfluG7C0FsXag

Finally…

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellieb View Post
... hope, with its aluminium body I will become more of a rarity…
How rare do you want to be?

There must be less than 10 Cordites on the roads in the UK and I guess you have the only one in Scotland.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 22nd July 2018, 05:59

Default Cordite in aluminium

Hi, I did not explain my intentions well enough! I am fabricating the aluminium body and then that body is to be used on another Spitfire chassis and that new body will have certain deviations from the original. Then as the body evolves it should attain a unique shape of its own, maybe a D Type nose or another 50s racing car variation. The fun of these builds is the creative flexibility of the endless potential within the moderate man's income. I am trying to achieve a 50s aluminium racing car that looks fairly authentic and is still affordable and still creats the thrill of open air driving. I am sure that this is the same ideology of all involved on this sight. And most of all to enjoy what we do!
Old 23rd July 2018, 22:36

Quote:
… I am fabricating the aluminium body and then that body is to be used on another Spitfire chassis...
OK, now I understand.

Even more reason to look forward to seeing this build.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 25th July 2018, 09:48

Wink Cordite in aluminium

Hi Paul, Iam glad that you replied and also that you are pleased with my new project! If you and your family fancy a trip to Scotland and to experience the joy of empty roads you are welcome for anytime? We have a spare cottage so accomodation is available? Your constant adventures on this forum have constantly motivated my personal progress and so often look forward to your future activities!And so as we are all together on this concept of enjoying open air driving in our idiosyncratic hand built Specials! http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru.../icon_wink.gif
Old 27th March 2020, 12:01

Default Cordite in alloy

Hi all,

The Cordite is being transformed into aluminium. I am using the Cordite as a buck. I wish the original mould was symmetrical as it involves lots of guesswork. the project is keeping me fit and taking my mind off COVID-19.
Best wishes to all
Old 27th March 2020, 13:29

Neil - Great to see an update.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 27th March 2020, 15:14

Hi Paul, slowly making progress ! The amount of hours that I have spent on the Cordite is enormous! Been fun though !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91613074_513982126155868_5450096667200061440_n.jpg (100.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 27th March 2020, 16:19

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi all,

The Cordite is being transformed into aluminium. I am using the Cordite as a buck. I wish the original mould was symmetrical as it involves lots of guesswork. the project is keeping me fit and taking my mind off COVID-19.
Best wishes to all
Don't worry too much about it being symmetrical, even my 250 Testarossa was 1 1/2" longer on one side compared to the other ! You couldn't see it but I knew it was there !
Old 28th March 2020, 10:04

Thanks for the encouragement! The welding of the alloy took some mastering, especially when you blow holes in a piece that has taken weeks to shape!
Old 4th April 2020, 16:21

Default Cordite

Talk about labour intensive! Well, it has kept me occupied while we're in lockdown. Also, I am getting the hang of welding aluminium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92024233_3020943691290019_8946352818130780160_n.jpg (98.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 11th April 2020, 12:34

Default Cordite in aluminium

Hi all, run out of gas so sadly stopped! I cannot even take her out in this sunny weather as some one may report me as a non essential! It is getting essential for me as the odd little blast keeps me sane and healthy. I cannot watch tv as requested I believe we who build these projects are the active individuals who also do not need daily walks. I have thoroughly enjoyed working in ally and even now considering my next project may be using a BMW 6pot? Take car every one best wishes Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92433846_213977689908003_601847457881522176_n.jpg (93.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 11th April 2020, 17:07

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Looking good, I'm a big fan of the all ali finish, please don't paint it !

I've been looking at BMW 645's, what a car and what an engine. The earlier examples aren't even much money ! Under £4k buys a big aluminium 330BHP V8 and there are some with manual gearbox options too. Very tempting ! Much better value than the Chevy crate engines that are available.
Old 11th April 2020, 17:54

Smile

Hi, It will never be painted as I just love the raw look ! Never been into pristine concept always liked the worn and driven and hammer marks like an old classic Norton or old 45 Harley.I realised that I could never afford to buy one so this was my only way of getting one that was affordable.I called in for petrol just before the lock down and to my surprise at the petrol station people came over and asked questions about it! Yes I am looking for a candicate with more grunt and power also the historic status possibility. Thanks for your interest as it it helps with the motivation and also your advice! Regards
Old 13th April 2020, 12:32

Quote:
It will never be painted as I just love the raw look!
Glad to hear it.

Old 13th April 2020, 13:49
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Looking good!
The time and effort you are putting in to this project must be tremendous !!

Could you let us know how are you forming the panels and what technique you are you using to weld the panels together?

:
Old 13th April 2020, 16:46

Hi forming the panels was by hitting the panels on a sand bag and then using a wooden stump to flatten. A lot of the tools are home made out of steel bon my forge. I use a wooden ball from a bowling green to help create curves I worked every day over the winter bashing away I am certain the neighbours hate me! You learn as you go and slowly you get into the flow of understanding the material you have to enjoy it and expect mistakes. I use gas oxygen and acetylene and this was at first a pain until you understand the gentleness of the flame. I cannot wait to start another build as the body is so light and good to look at! Hope that this helps!
Old 4th May 2020, 10:53

Hi all, it's like being a caged animal, especially when the sun comes out! We live in a little village in Scotland and I am a little conspicuous if I try and sneak out for a short spin. So I spent Sunday imagining that the Cordite had just returned from Le Mans with battle scars and patination - all in the mind, I'm afraid. And even though I'm 70 I am still a boy at heart. Roll on normal days with wind in your hair, driving down the country lanes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95643230_259905465199011_1602657451545460736_n.jpg (99.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 4th May 2020, 19:48

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Amen to that!