Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 9th June 2006, 14:00
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

I'll check with the guy at protocast then...
Old 16th June 2006, 11:49
Kit Car Dreamer

GJGB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyP
no, i beleive that model only ran for one year, which i suspect was 92-93.
I think that's a bit of misinformation from Norman unless someone wants to correct me

The EPC parts catalogue I have for the UK and Jap Celica models seems to show that there were two versions of the front indicator lamps during the model run but the later one is marked as substitutional for the early one so I reckon they have the same fitting and should all go into a Vortex.

The relevant Celica model for the indicators (as well as for the side windows and window lift mechanisms) is the 5th Generation, AT180/ST180/ST185 (GT4) model - the last of the pop-up headlight ones with the rounder body. Toyota list it as running from 10/89 to 11/93

There are a couple of sellers of lights on www.ebay.co.uk but beware some lights are not E marked so will fail SVA and MOT if the tester is awake
Sellers are ultimate-lighting and jdmhondaparts among others and jdmhondaparts does E marked Lexus style MX3 tail-lights in both siver and black for those looking for them

I've yet to buy any but will when I can get the wife's attention distracted

Hope that helps
Greg
Old 16th June 2006, 17:18
Enthusiast

Well I got the guy at Protocast to measure some, his measure 245x58mm which is what we need. The part number he has are: 81520-20730 and
81510-20730, for a pre face lift '94-'96 GT / ST202
His are made from moulds off the originals so it's a lense replacement job, but it is an exact replica so all markings etc are still present so that should be good enough for SVA!

Rich
Old 16th June 2006, 17:55
Kit Car Dreamer

GJGB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
Well I got the guy at Protocast to measure some, his measure 245x58mm which is what we need. The part number he has are: 81520-20730 and
81510-20730, for a pre face lift '94-'96 GT / ST202
His are made from moulds off the originals so it's a lense replacement job, but it is an exact replica so all markings etc are still present so that should be good enough for SVA!

Rich
Hi Rich.

I checked the parts lists again and guess what - it looks like Toyota carried forward the front indicators from the ST180 onto the ST220 (the 4 headlight model). Got pretty much the same part number (81510 and 81520 right and left) and I believe the last few digits are sourcing identifiers.
Has anyone looked at the 4 headlight Celica to compare? It would certainly mean the lamps are a lot easier to get than has been suggested.

Your guys moulding from the originals will have an E Approved marking just from the mould Doesn't mean they conform to whatever the hell E Approved means but I doubt any SVA or MOT will ever know!

In passing, the Ebay offerings seem cheaper than Protocast.

Regards
Greg
Old 17th June 2006, 10:29
Enthusiast

The ebay ones are the earlier style which are too short and the later ones have squarer ends.
I'm all for a cheaper option if you can find one Greg!

Rich
Old 19th June 2006, 10:39
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

it isnt a myth, norman is correct, there are 2 different lengths both fitted to the same gen celica. i know this as ive got both sorts, and modded my body to accept the shorter ones.
From what i've read lights don't HAVE to be e marked for sva, cant rememebr where i read this but ill dig it out. If they do have to be ill jsut get a pair of normal celica ones cheap for sva then swap afterwards.
As for the rear lights from JDM honda, ive got a pair of the black ones, they are nice but the build quality isnt the best, theyre a bit messey with the glue, they do look a lot nicer than the standard mx3 items tho.