Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 30th April 2013, 19:13

morris is on a distinguished road

Finally got chance to have another look at this tonight. I found a small but persistant seep from the bottom right angle union on my facet lifter pump so I've pulled it out and refitted it with extra ptfe. Hopefully this will sort the problem but it will now take a few days for the stink of spilt petrol from disconnecting the pump to clear so I'll have to wait it out to see if it's worked.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:29
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

If the PTFE tape doesn't work, try this stuff:

http://www.frost.co.uk/brake-and-pipe-seal-75ml.html

I've used it on a variety of threaded unions, and it works a treat.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:54
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I always have a very weak smell of petrol in my garage. I think it is just the tank venting as there has never been the slightest sign of any leak.

Be careful with blocking any vent for the tank completely - it is possible for them to literally "blow up" like a balloon. You only have to leave the car in the sun (what's that) for a few hours on a sunny day to warm up sufficiently to cause a problem. Remember also that the high pressure fuel pump uses the petrol as a coolant. The fuel returned to the tank is significantly warmer adding to the problem.

I used the one way valve to allow air into the tank. But I also made a small nick in the rubber washer inside the valve which allows the build up of any pressure to be slowly released. I did this after filling up one day when there was a huge rush of escaping air when I took the filler cap off.

Robin
Old 1st May 2013, 13:52

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

I had a friend many years ago who had a mini that smelt of petrol, There was supposed to be a vent pipe from the top of the tank but it had fallen off. So he blocked the hole with plasic filler.
During the next week or so there were mysterious boing sounds from the back of the car.
When he went into the petrol station to fill up he could get only 2 gallons in the tank as it had been crushed by creating a vacuum inside it.
Old 1st May 2013, 21:07

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Well done Ian, it had to be something like that, not your hoses ( unless they had a split of course.
Old 1st May 2013, 23:18

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
- Marlin supplied one way valve on the tank vent has been turned around so it only lets air in not out.
-
Ian,

CBS now do a clever little two way pressure relief / spill protection valve. It's not cheap but should stop your tank blowing up / collapsing under changes in pressure. (Extreme wording used for effect only, but you get the picture!!)

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/I...er_Valve_FTBV2
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:02

Looks like the fuel pump leak is now fixed and the smell is definitely strongest around the filler cap. I'v sent CBS an email and they got back to confirm that the vented cap they sell is just open to atmosphere, no pressure basis at all. I've asked nicely if they'll swap for a non vented one and then I can buy the two way ball valve vent Nigel linked to. Let's see what they say. If they're not interested I'll just have to ebay it but will be a fair waste of money I'm sure that way
Old 28th May 2013, 19:30

well, CBS kindly exchanged my vented cap for a non-vented one at no cost other than postage and the smell from around the filler has unsurprisingly now gone. Unfortunately the general smell in the garage has not

It's been well over a week since I swapped the filler and many more since I last spilled any fuel (a month) so unlikely to be residual stink from that. The smell is strongest from the back end of the car so I'm starting to wonder if it is the facet pump itself that is defective but no real evidence to support that.

Running out of ideas now as there's no sign of a leak anywhere
Old 28th May 2013, 20:43
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Petrol smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
well, CBS kindly exchanged my vented cap for a non-vented one at no cost other than postage and the smell from around the filler has unsurprisingly now gone. Unfortunately the general smell in the garage has not

It's been well over a week since I swapped the filler and many more since I last spilled any fuel (a month) so unlikely to be residual stink from that. The smell is strongest from the back end of the car so I'm starting to wonder if it is the facet pump itself that is defective but no real evidence to support that.

Running out of ideas now as there's no sign of a leak anywhere
Hi Ian

I had exactly the same problem. Mine turned out to be a jubilee clip that was not quite capable of clamping the tube tightly enough to make a seal.
Sounds daft but have you tightened all the screw type connections on the pump/filters?
What connection do you have in to your tank? - this could be your problem as presumably the threads were cut in the soft aluminium by Marlin and may be too large? PTFE tape might help, (or whatever is required to work with petrol.)
What thread did you screw in to it?

Mike
Old 28th May 2013, 21:02

The fittings on the tank are just plain 10mm non-barbed and I'm using the proper fuel hose mini clips rather than jubilees. They were very tight to slide on so I'd be surprised if it was leaking from there though I'm not discounting anything yet. I've even been round the system swapping out the clips for the next size down where appropriate to ensure a tight seal without having to tighten to the full length of the thread. Even stripped the thread on one by over tightening.

I'm pretty convinced it's coming from the back end of the car now as any scent I pick up around the engine is not at all strong so more likely just residual odor from my injector seal issues a while back plus general oily/engine smells.

One of the problems is once you get the scent of petrol in your nose it's then hard pick up a real leak from just background so I tend to have to decide on a place to shove my hooter then leave it an hour before trying again
Old 29th May 2013, 20:47
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Sounds very frustrating !!
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Patrick had a problem with pin holes in his Marlin supplied tank. (he had them welded up)
In the long run it may be time to remove the tank and inspect all the welds closely under a strong magnifier and bright light?
As an alternative to welding, there are tank sealers about like Slosh ( http://www.rust.co.uk/products/produ...rol-tank-seal/ ) but I have no personal experience and I'm not sure if they are suitable for an aluminium tank. (but one below says it is)
Some other products here...
http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/gastank.htm
and here...
http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-fuel-tank-sealers.html
and here...
http://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/

I hope you get it sorted soon as I bet your other half is getting a bit miffed!