Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 25th January 2012, 20:09

Paul D is on a distinguished road
Default Even more tyred..

I have now borrowed a 165/65/15 to test, same as Dave Cymru.

The chassis is from Herald 13/60, quite a late model that is on an 'L' plate - possibly it went abroad initially before being registered here.

Although this size tyre worked for Dave, it does still touch the frame when fitted both sides. It restricts about the last one eighth of a turn.

However, the front springs on my car have not been lowered yet. I think I will need to remove about 2.5 " from the front ride height - since the back has 3" of lowering blocks and a swing spring fitted.

At the moment the point of contact with the chassis is at the top of the frame section - as in photo 2 and 4 above. So logic dictates that with lowering, this point will rise above the frame into the bulkhead area which has already been heavily modified.

Also these tyres are brand new with full tread. A part worn tyre with just the edge of the shoulder worn away a few millimetres would probably clear o.k anyway.

So that's it for our car, 165/65/15 it will be. may have to review the decision after chopping the springs though.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul D; 25th January 2012 at 21:03..
Old 27th January 2012, 09:38

MikeD is on a distinguished road
Default Fitting and balancing wire wheels

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know an OK place to have tyres fitted and balanced on wire wheels in Sw London / Surrey area?? I have a lovely set of chrome wires and have been reading some worrying facts about balancing.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:40

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Don't know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know an OK place to have tyres fitted and balanced on wire wheels in Sw London / Surrey area?? I have a lovely set of chrome wires and have been reading some worrying facts about balancing.
Sorry, I'm not in your neck of the woods.

I've wondered about whether kwikfit et al can balance centre lock wheels too and decided that a bit of steering judder will just add to the period charm...
Old 28th January 2012, 08:01

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Anybody know if tyre fitters still stock inner tubes for wires or do you need to supply your own?
Old 1st February 2012, 22:07

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Well, I've just bought a set of 15" wires from ebay so now I have 13" and 15" to choose from!

I think I may need some new adaptors for the 15's though as they are off a TR4 and the splines are different I think?

I pick them up on Sunday so will know when I get them home. I might have to do some tinkering with bulkhead by the sounds of things - I want to run 165/65 or 165/70 and my chassis is a MK1 Vitesse 1600 so it will be interesting to see the clearance.