Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 17th December 2007, 11:37
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Cold start problems

If anyone can offer any suggestions why my car is reluctant to start when cold, it would be appreciated, to date I have changed both the temperature sensors, idle control valve and the fuel pump relay. The car takes three to four turns firing each time and running for a second or two, but after maybe fourth time keeps going, you then can hear it over fueling, as if on full choke. When its warm it runs fine, and starts ok even if then left for several hours in the cold.

It’s a 1600 K series taken from a Rover 216 donor, which seemed fine when I was driving it.

Thanks
Available from eBay
Old 17th December 2007, 20:48
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Not wanting to sound patronising, but have you got continuity on all pins to the ECU?
Old 17th December 2007, 23:35
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road

Any suggestion is good, because sometimes its the obvious you overlook, I assume so, but this maybe an area worth investigating.

Thanks
Old 17th December 2007, 23:50
Enthusiast

The reason I mention it, is my friend's car runs a standalone management, and when the coolant temp sender fails (bad connection, out of range...) then the ECU assumes a coolant temp of 80 deg. The car will start when cold, but takes a few attempts, and then runs fine.

Is the Rover ECU OBD2? You could buy a cheapo USB OBD2 reader from Ebay, and read coolant / intake temps direct from the ECU, that'd soon tell you if the ECU is getting eroneous values. I used to have one, and it worked pretty well.
Old 18th December 2007, 07:29
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve/John.

Steve's car runs MEM's. What I would do Steve is find a friendly garage to do a diagnostic check on it. I have a local guy (who I slip him a drink). Only did it the once. But it is amazing what the ECU remembers. Like the Coolant sensor. I was playing with the wiring for a while. But remembered that the connector, at one stage, was disconnected. Reset fine. But found I had a faulty cam sensor (causing the car to run rich).

I might be getting one very soon. Watch this space.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:16
Enthusiast

John, OBD2 is an international communications protocol for cars (I'm reasonably sure of that statement...), not the type of ECU. I think the inclusion of an OBD2 port is a legal requirement on vehicles produced after 1999, though many cars older than this have the port – my ’97 car does. I bought my reader on ebay for approx £30 about 2 years ago, as I had issues following an engine conversion with my car’s engine stalling when coming to a halt, and didn’t have a clue why (it was running fine otherwise). With the reader I could see all that the ECUs inputs and outputs (rpm, injector duty, ignition timing, temps, % load, air flow, fuelling status…..) along with read and reset fault codes. In my case I discovered the road speed sensor signal was not reaching the ECU, hence the stalling issue – problem with over-run fuel cut I think.

Unfortunately I lent mine to a friend, who being a clumsy *** lost it. If I still had it, I’d pop it in the post for you to borrow.

Old 18th December 2007, 18:11
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi John.

Sorry John. I thought OBD2 was the Honda engined Rover as I have seen this mentioned there.

Tried to buy a diag tester but lost out.

The Rover one is a little round connector.