Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 17th June 2013, 06:41

w3526602 is on a distinguished road
Default What master cylinder will suit?

Hi,

I'm new here, first post. In my "dim and distant", I have owned a Jago Jeep and a Dutton Sierra, and have had an interest is home-brewed cars since I was 16 (that was in 1956) when they were called "Specials", mainly Austin 7s.

I'm currently rebuilding a 1959 Land Rover, starting with a new chassis, and am meeting similar problems to kit buildrs. I am not a purist. Now read on....

I wish to do away with the remote "bean can" brake and clutch hydraulic reservoirs, and use master cylinders with the reservoirs built in. The problem is that the Land Rover pedal box tips the master cylinder down at the front, so fluid will spill out before the reservoir is full. What I need is a sloping master cylinder with a vertical reservoir. The two fixing holes must be vertical, and I'm assuming I can modify my pedal box to suit whatever bolt centres come with the new cylinder.

I think a Triumph Herald master cylinder is the shape I need ... can anone confirm? BUT ... my post-1971 Lockheed catalogue shows that the early Spitfire Mk 3 & 4 (same as Herald?) master cylinder has a bore of 15.9mm (5/8"), while I need a piston of 19mm (3/4").

Can anyone suggest a master cylinder that is the shape I need, with a suitable size bore? Alternatively, is there a cylinder that can be sleeved down, or even over-bored and sleeved up?

The later Spitfire 1500 uses a 17.8mm bore, which I could probably get away with, but that is dual circuit, and the rest of the hydraulic plumbing is already in place.

Any ideas?

602 ("last three" of my RAF number, but I also answer to "John")
Available from eBay