Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Show off your cars > Show us your Kit Cars

Show us your Kit Cars You've just taken 2 years to build your pride and joy, right? Then why not show it off here. Let us see your creations.

Old 8th August 2015, 23:53

wqqdster is on a distinguished road
Default Woodie roadster

I built this car in 76-77, initially with a VDub engine. In 1980 I drove it from San Francisco to New York City and back, putting 8,000 miles on it in a month. I swapped in a '68 Corvair and roll bar when I got back and continued to drive it all over California and the western states.

Kids were born in the mid and late 80's so the car sat for several years. In 95 my oldest son and I restored it, making some changes to the shape and making improvements (disc brakes being the best change) My son and I drove it on Americruise in 2000 from San Fran to Lincoln, Nebraska to Idaho and home.

In 2002 it won 'Car of the Show' at the Handcrafted Car Show at Knott's Berry Farm.

The only major change recently is the addition of a top.... I'm too old for multi-hundred mile topless cruising!

It has over 50,000 miles on it and the engine just dropped a valve seat. I found a couple 140 hp engines and will be swapping the heads over after reconditioning. Looking forward to driving it again soon.

Kinda cool still having it after almost 40 years.....

Gary O

Available from eBay
Old 9th August 2015, 09:59

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Ha ha that's pretty mad

I have seen a couple of model t type vw based rods....

I'd like to see a wooden track style nose on this ,that would make it look very swoopy

40 years ..that's amazing...
Old 10th August 2015, 04:11

I have thought the same thing, that a track nose would look great. If I had done it when the car was restored in '96 it would have worked because the wood colors would be the same. You can see in the top pic what happens when different samples of the same wood are used.

The grill is a real, live pre-1921 T grill that I found in a barn as a young kid.
Old 10th August 2015, 08:39

garyh is on a distinguished road

Varnish it black?
Old 10th August 2015, 08:45

That would kinda defeat the nature of the wood....
Old 10th August 2015, 08:59

garyh is on a distinguished road

Just the cowl... wouldn't have to worry about mismatch of wood.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:08

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqqdster View Post
I have thought the same thing, that a track nose would look great. If I had done it when the car was restored in '96 it would have worked because the wood colors would be the same. You can see in the top pic what happens when different samples of the same wood are used.

The grill is a real, live pre-1921 T grill that I found in a barn as a young kid.
Yeah I saw R em wood looked better in the other pic.

Where the grille as nostalgia in every way doesn't it.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:08

Yeterfer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqqdster View Post
I built this car in 76-77, initially with a VDub engine. In 1980 I drove it from San Francisco to New York City and back, putting 8,000 miles on it in a month. I swapped in a '68 Corvair and roll bar when I got back and continued to drive it all over California and the western states.

Kids were born in the mid and late 80's so the car sat for several years. In 95 my oldest son and I restored it, making some changes to the shape and making improvements (disc brakes being the best change) My son and I drove it on Americruise in 2000 from San Fran to Lincoln, Nebraska to Idaho and home.

In 2002 it won 'Car of the Show' at the Handcrafted Car Show at Knott's Berry Farm.

The only major change recently is the addition of a top.... I'm too old for multi-hundred mile topless cruising!

It has over 50,000 miles on it and the engine just dropped a valve seat. I found a couple 140 hp engines and will be swapping the heads over after reconditioning. Looking forward to driving it again soon.

Kinda cool still having it after almost 40 years.....

Gary O

wooh! It's amazing! I hope I can see a wooden track style nose on this. Thanks for sharing anyway!