Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 14th April 2012, 14:19

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default New Demo Car....

I have decided its time to put a car together for myself....

I have acquired a 1963 Herald Chassis and a tatty Mk2 Vitesse rolling chassis.

I am going to upgrade the Herald with some of the vitesse parts and throw a Rover V8 into the mix but set it back a little for better weight distribution...

On top of this is going a Cordite body...the shorter body will help me with some extra engine room . A roomier Cordite bonnet will also be used but will need the area between front arch and bulkhead stretched about 8'' to deal with the longer Herald wheelbase...

I am not sure what issues this combo will throw up yet and the plan may change a little along the way , but thats the plan at the moment....

Updates as and when ....but heres my starting pile...

Available from eBay
Old 14th April 2012, 16:03

garyh is on a distinguished road

I think the V8 will bring in a whole new lot of admirers to the Sammio range. Everyone's got a Cobra!
Old 14th April 2012, 16:40

mulberry is on a distinguished road

sounds like a great idea, but also sounds like alot of hard work, good luck keep the pictures flowing...

gary and mell
Old 14th April 2012, 18:30

davecymru is on a distinguished road

You don't do thing by half!

Go for it Gary and let's see your progress as you go
Old 14th April 2012, 20:55

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Mad Professor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now lets see what's laying around the workshop!!!!!!!! approach to design everyone has to have at least one V8 in their life, looking forward to seeing this one evolve.
Old 14th April 2012, 21:41

Roadster is on a distinguished road

A stretched out cordite front - a spyder rear and a V8 sounds great.

Are you nearly finished jeanettes 550
Old 15th April 2012, 13:25

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road
Talking

Not planning to put your feet up then?
Old 15th April 2012, 14:21

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Are they Maestro/Montego wheels on the back of the upper chassis?

If so, that could be the source of the larger steels with 92.5mm pcd that some builders are looking for.
Old 16th April 2012, 19:16

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Gary,

I bought a spare Herald engine & gearbox off a guy in Chandlers Ford a couple of months back, he had taken it out to install a 3.9 litre fuel injected Rover V8 into his Herald saloon. He had cut out bits of the main chassis rails to get the transmission in (from a 4x4) and I think had made up a new cross member. It was running and sounded awsome! I could put you in touch if it might be any help in sharing chassis mod issues. Oh, and you should see his bonnet mods - not exactly subtle.

Paul D.
Old 16th April 2012, 21:00

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The guy I bought my Scimi from has recently aquired a collection of Rover 3500s P6's. All V8 and manual boxes. lots of spares too. Let me know if you need his details. Lots of spare panels too but probably of less interest to you
Old 17th April 2012, 17:25

Thanks WCA ....Will do.!

Jennettes 550 is moving forward ....now resides on the development bench whilst I workout gear selectors and exhaust - all fighting for the same space !

My initial plan is to get this version to Exeter as at least a rolling , looking finished concept ....on the road late 2012 or early next year...

If the 'long nose' idea works , I will mould the new bonnet making it another option to be built on a Herald/ Vitesse base , a stock engine could move from being mounted at front of suspension upright to being mounted off the rear , quite easily and the gearbox mount isn't too complicated either ( could probably develop a kit to do this...... ) , the only modification , other than moving bulkhead parts , brakepipes etc back 8'' or so , would be an extended steering column...

I plan to use some original and slightly tarnished parts in my build , not getting too carried away with making her all sh*te and briny ....want the car to look like a survivor ...not a dragged out recently barn find , but a car that looks like it has been around a while and not restored recently

Mike thinks I am nuts but thats what I want , weathered seats , bit of patina etc......

Last edited by lancelot link; 17th April 2012 at 17:27..
Old 17th April 2012, 19:25

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

The patina'd look sounds pretty good to me.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:26

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road
Default Singin' off the same song sheet!

Brilliant! Love to see cars the way you're planning to go. I wish I'd got the phone number of a bloke at Stoneleigh Jaguar spares day who had a load of pukka old Monza filler caps, just good enough to clean up without ever looking new. I'll let you know when I track him down.

How do you go about getting the right paint finish so that it's not looking brand new?

Best of luck with the project.
Len.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:41

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
....want the car to look like a survivor ...not a dragged out recently barn find , but a car that looks like it has been around a while and not restored recently

Mike thinks I am nuts but thats what I want , weathered seats , bit of patina etc......
I will look forward to seeing that. I had the same thoughts but wasnt brave enough, didnt want it to look like I had just done a shit job if I couldnt pull it off. I'm sure that It will look the muts nuts when done.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:52

lOOKING SHIT IS DEFINITELY AN OPTION !!

I did a couple of patina'd Rod builds a few years back ...the knack is not overdoing it.

I painted red oxide on first as primer was primarily red on early cars generally , then top coat. You only 'distress' areas that would naturally wear , ie, door tops from years of being lent on , stone chips to front , panel edges etc...not too much...allow the red oxide to show through a bit...

I used plasticote aerosols , lots of them , and good old palm grease to polish certain areas.....its not an exact science ......................
Old 17th April 2012, 22:10

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

all sounds a bit like my attempt at plastering - I can do the 'rustic' look for walls!

I think that getting the lived-in look actually takes longer and is more skillful thant a nice new paint job. Looks great if it comes out as expected!
Old 18th April 2012, 11:36

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Sixer View Post
How do you go about getting the right paint finish so that it's not looking brand new?
By painting it myself is how i achieved it I'd never painted a car before (ignoring my old Capri 20 years ago) and the finish i've ended up with is by no means A1, but equally it's not that bad either and just looks..... old! Although more through luck than planning

That slightly dodgy paint job, combined with a 2nd hand Spitfire filler cap and 2nd hand steering column surround give my car a whole air that it was made quite a few years go.

i.e. i don't feel embarrassed driving it around