Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 2nd January 2012, 18:43

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Stripping

I've had a good day stripping the Vitesse and it looks like I may have been a lucky lad!
The tank was first out which let me get at the rear tub mounting bolts. Rear seat next followed very quickly by the front ones. The carpets and trims went straight in the bin as they were pretty manky (though not damp luckily) and I've taken all the trim panels off too. The result is that I've now got 10 items for sale on eBay and it still looks like a Vitesse from the outside. THe interior, however, is a different story:
Driver's side Footwell - Looking good!

Passenger's side footwell

Driver's side floor

Passenger's side floor

Driver's side rear view

Passenger's side rear view

Driver's side door

Passenger's side door

Boot

All wiring now tidily wrapped up in the footwell and tomorrow I may get onto the bumpers and brightwork.
Happy times!
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:53

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

THAT LOOKS PRETTY SWEET .....

Probably going to upset some purists , but I still say that starting with a good solid base car is the best way to go.....

I think you have the basis of what could be a great car.....

£1000 for a complete chassis , drivetrain , bulkhead etc. is still not a lot of money compared to some other kit packages.

I know not everyone can afford a solid donor and there is nothing wrong with starting with a ropier car ....they all get to the same point in the end.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:58

Default Colour code for Mister Towed

Sorry it's taken so long but I've checked out the colour code from the commission plate. It's a '17' which according to the link on the first page is 'Damson'.
Old 8th January 2012, 15:08

Default The strip continues

It's been 'orrible weather for photos but there has been plenty going on with the strip.
The interior is now bare with the dashboard and instruments out, extra wiring was found to a bizarre alarm system consisting of a 'heath robinson' motion sensor linked to two air horns! The wiring loom has now been completely disconnected from all lights etc and is rolled up either side of the bulkhead.
I've removed all the bolts holding the roof down (Including the 'B' Post fixings) so all that's holding it on now is the mastic. The sills are nearly off apart from three bolts needing some touches with the angle grinder.
On another subject, I've been the lucky bidder on a set of 4.5 x 15 wire wheels and adapters. (Without researching too much as to whether they will fit the Sammio as even if they don't I'll be happy to refurbish and sell them on). They should be arriving on Thursday so I'll get a 'before' photo prior to my taking them to my favourite blast/powder coaters.
Photos when it clears up. I've got my first batch of eBay items finishing tomorrow so I'll report back on those too.
Old 8th January 2012, 18:28

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
Sorry it's taken so long but I've checked out the colour code from the commission plate. It's a '17' which according to the link on the first page is 'Damson'.
Thanks Andy - changing my mind about what colour I'm going for on an hourly basis at the mo'.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:28

Default eBay sales

The first batch of items from the donor finished their sale on eBay yesterday so as promised, here's a quick run down:

Upper dash Millboard: £6.00
Wooden Cap Strips: £34.00
Rear side trim panels: £10.01
Door trim panels: £10.01
Seats: £21.98 (A bit disappointing but heigh ho!)
Boot lid: £30.00
Number plate Light: £3.76
Fuel Tank: £26.17
Wheel trims: £20.00

Next batch will include dashboard, doors, bonnet, glass, bumpers, body tub and assorted trim. Will update as it goes. This is as much a record for myself as interest for readers so excuse the detail if it's overwhelming.
Old 19th January 2012, 09:21

Right.. Where am I? ....

All the interior has now gone, the exterior has been stripped of its shiny bits and there are a heap more parts for sale on eBay.

In the engine bay I've removed the shrouds for access, taken the front valance (Rotten) off and as it looked very exposed, took the radiator out. I've stripped off the (rotten) master cylinders and all other bits and bobs from the bulkhead so I'm good to go there.

Nothing but sticky stuff is now holding the roof on, the nuts and stays are off the bonnet and there's only two loose bolts holding the doors on. All six bolts holding the tub on in the boot are out but as none of the four bolts holding it onto the chassis were up for playing, I had to grind their little heads off. I nearly forgot the two seat belt ring bolts at the tunnel though as they weren't referred to in my book but looking at other folk's photos I noticed the brackets and luckily figured what they were. As I see it, there should be nothing holding the tub down now but firm shaking of it doesn't seem to move . Is there anything I've missed or does it need a good lever?

Now making room for the car behind the house rather than the currently exposed area at the front before removing the big assemblies. Then the fun can start!
Old 19th January 2012, 10:27

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is there anything I've missed or does it need a good lever?
I also found that after all the bolts were out things still wouldn't move and when i finally did get it apart i could see that for me it was due to all the sticky gloop and sealing strips that had been applied over the years!

If memory serves me right, the front edge where it connects to the driver/passenger footwells is sealed/joined as well as bolted and while the back end of the tub all lifted up fine, i had to cut/saw through the cr@p along the front edge before i could finally get it out.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:23

Just seen a possible donor going cheap(At the moment) up my neck of the woods on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3306738581...84.m1438.l2649
Old 19th January 2012, 19:08

Don't forget the handbrake cable compensator under the tub. Mine wouldn't budge so I had to cut through the handbrake cable that runs between the rear wheels before I could move the tub more than an inch or two.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:19

It looks like I'm in the same boat with the handbrake. It won't move so I'll do the same as you and cut the cable. I assume I'm right in that as long as the rear cable isn't wrapped around the hoop the tub can be freed?
Old 30th January 2012, 16:16

Quote:
It looks like I'm in the same boat with the handbrake. It won't move so I'll do the same as you and cut the cable. I assume I'm right in that as long as the rear cable isn't wrapped around the hoop the tub can be freed?
Yep, so long as you've undone all the other bolts holding the tub to the chassis there's just the handbrake cable routed through the compensator holding it on.

You should be able to move the tub about if all the bolts are undone, but not backwards by more than an inch or two before meeting resistance. With hindsight I'd have undone the handbrake cable at one end and threaded it through or cut the compensator off to save the cost of a new cable later.

Good luck.
Old 30th January 2012, 16:24

Thanks. So by way of a quick check list, the six bolts in the boot, four under the outriggers, the row joining either side rear to footwells, two anchor bolts into the tunnel for seat belts, disconnect the brake cables from compensator and pull like hell ?
Old 30th January 2012, 18:43

Quote:
Thanks. So by way of a quick check list, the six bolts in the boot, four under the outriggers, the row joining either side rear to footwells, two anchor bolts into the tunnel for seat belts, disconnect the brake cables from compensator and pull like hell ?
Yep, as I recall that's about it assuming you've already removed the loom.

I didn't have to worry about the bolts in the boot floor as my donor had no boot floor left to speak of. Once you've undone all the relevant bolts and broken any seal between the front and rear floors the rear tub should be free to move.

I managed to lift mine off on my own and I then cut the handbrake compensator off so I can re-use it on the Sammio.

Don't go weighing in the rear tub btw, mine went for two hundred pounds even with a rusted out boot floor.
Old 4th February 2012, 12:08

I thought it would be nice to let you all know that the Preston Sammio is now....IN PROFIT!
Yes, with some items still to go that came with my Donor purchase, the tally is now standing at -£100. Yes, you heard it right in that having sold most of the items, it has more than paid the purchase cost of a fairly reasonable conditioned set of running gear with engine. To say I'm pleased with it is a major understatement.
The Tub is loose now and having sold, it will be a matter of days and I'll post a photo or two of what lurks below. First sight isn't too bad but until then it's a mystery
Old 4th February 2012, 14:05

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations. That's pretty cool.
Old 4th February 2012, 15:34

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Cool! I didn't quite make my money back, but I was still stunned with how much I made, so to make a profit is really good going :-)
Old 4th February 2012, 16:51

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Andy. Well done

I have made over a grand on my bits and was given the donor car a few years back so mine has nearly paid for kit too!

Don't you love eBay! I got my purple star today for 500-999 feedback. I think I might go to the pub to celebrate
Old 15th February 2012, 12:34

Default Progress

After a little effort helped by my lad, we can now see the wood for the trees and a first assessment of the chassis now I've pressure washed the muck off.

The engine came out with no problems though even the application of heat didn't separate the manifold from the exhaust pipe so it got cut off.

Front chassis is quite clean with no repairs required that I can see:

A towbar has obviously needed this strengthening. That should come off easily enough but the left hand extension has a hole in it. Whether to repair it or as it's likely to come off anyway, just clean it up and leave it?

Left hand rear outrigger has a hole in it. I'll change that:

Right hand outrigger has had a crack in it that someone has tried to stop extending by a 'stop drill hole'. As a result it's visibly weak so that will be changed too.

But overall, it's not bad at all and now I can get at it, the suspension strip starts here.

Looks like I've got my weekend sorted
Old 15th February 2012, 14:33

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Cracking on then Andy

Looks pretty solid so should allow you more time for tinkering with body!