Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 29th January 2012, 17:37

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default UJ bolts

Nick

I have been caught out on that before, have you taken the bolt all the way out as the splined shaft is notched to take part of the bolt diameter.
Old 29th January 2012, 18:01

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Bolt is sat in what is left of the bulkhead :-(

I am putting my faith in WD40 and a lump hammer.

Also need to get the steering wheel off but don't have a big enough socket.
Old 29th January 2012, 18:50

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

sounds like this is moving forward nicely Nick ....you are discovering the cheap donor versus dearer donor disadvantages by the look of things .....

plus points are that your time is mostly free and if a builder doesn't have much money it doesn't prohibit them from getting involved in building a Sammio....

If you want a Cobra or similar , there is no alternative , the nice shiny kit will always be a major expense.

You have £100 invested so far and that has been recouped via parts sales , I believe , so you are starting a car build with most of your major mechanical components sat in front of you for virtually nothing !!

Not many cars that you can start on that basis !
Old 29th January 2012, 19:30

Yeah but wait until I explain the hot V8 and full drive train as a replacement for the current 3 litre Essex and overdrive to the wife!!!

If I get the steering column sorted I should get the body off and chassis cleaned up a bit during the next week. I am busy for the next couple of weekends but the current plan is to get it down to you by the second half of Feb for the fitting stuff we talked about.

Just need to see whether I can face the welding needed or do I bring extra donuts and ask you ;-)

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 30th January 2012 at 11:55..
Old 30th January 2012, 14:20

Just nipped out in my lunch hour with a bigger hammer and the steering wheel is now out and the body standing clear. I just need a couple of mates to lift off the shell and put it down nicely. There is a limit to what I can do on my own.

Health and Saftey people may want to look away.

Old 30th January 2012, 15:28

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

looks perfectly secure to me
Old 30th January 2012, 15:40

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default WCA, keep it tidy!

You don't want to upset the owners of that stateley home, just behind the car...
Old 30th January 2012, 19:20

Default That's nothing

We did it the hard way we took the body (whole) off and then cut it up. Strapped it to a 1 tonne chain hoist connected to the garage roof trusses and hoisted it.

In my defence I had no idea we was going to build a Sammio at the time.

The floor pan can be lifted with two so that's not to bad, but a major problem if you are only one!
Old 31st January 2012, 10:10

Before

After
Old 9th February 2012, 12:20

Haven't updated this thread for a while so here goes.

Body off - tick
Chassis part cleaned of rust - tick
Chassis welded - Trying to persuade a friends dad that he needs to have a go
Chassis rust proofed - Started on the good metal at the back, lack of welding (and cold) stopped play
Chassis in the garage - tick. Hopefully will be warmer
Wheels cleaned and painted - Tick. Mainly cosmetic but makes it look less of a wreck and I needed to take the wheels off to clean up the rear of the chassis.
New suspension bushings ordered - Tick. Well the request for a quote went to Graham Walker Ltd.
Scimitar SE5 parts manual found - Tick. Well copied of the Graham Walker site. Anyone else want a copy showing exploded diagrams of all the parts and listing their part numbers?

Well from some angles it looks like the car is almost ready

From other angles it still looks a long way from ready

If I can get the welding done soon I will be off to Poole with it to let Gary sort out the extra framework and the body. If I can't then I might take it down anyway and get Gary to do the welding.

https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/2012-02-05
Old 9th February 2012, 13:54

andrewhush is on a distinguished road
Default scimitar chassis number location

Saw your build site. The chassis number should be on the offside suspension upright. I didn't know this before I had my chassis shotblasted and hot dip galvanized so I will have to restamp the number myself. See http://www.sporting-reliants.com/my_car2005.htm and scroll down to June 2005.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:28

I have looked on the upright and can't see anything but rust so far :-(
Old 9th February 2012, 17:35

Default Chassis work and number

Nick

Good to see progress on the WCAG46 or is that the G46WCA.

We used Black smooth hammerite on our chassis (had a tin under the bench) the metal was so solid after 38 years we reckon it would last out long enough for us with a splash and dash!

Recently sent of log book to change the engine particulars for the V8 and you want to see the proof they are asking me for the ownership of the engine, despite I had it registered to another car for 7 years and bought it about 12 years ago they want me to provide a receipt. Can I find the receipt, can I F----.

Worse than that I took the VIN plate off the old SE5 and can't find that either so will need to apply to DVLA before we can have the VOSA inspection.

I can't see the chassis number on the suspension uprights, but I have never really looked, I will do so later.

No progress on the car for the last few weeks and won't get back onto it for another two weeks at least.

At the rate WCA is going he is going to sail past us which is good, hope Gary is working hard on more development of the G46, feel a bit left out with the Sammio and the Cordites. Started looking at Spitfires on e-bay!!!!!!!!!
Old 9th February 2012, 17:59

At the rate WCA is going he is going to sail past us

I doubt that! I need to work out how to knock up a wiring harness and I haven't even started to look at the engine other than removing the cat* when I collected it.

*as in pussy cat, not catalytic converter
Old 9th February 2012, 19:08

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Despite you building a completely different beast, its fun to see how similar the build process is to the Spyder! Keep up the good work and a little tip I found quite late into my build was to use "chassis black" rather than hammerite. Tis good stuff!
Old 9th February 2012, 21:48

POR15 and then POR Chassis black is the plan.
Old 12th February 2012, 17:48

Spent most of the weekend at a family wedding and felt a bit vacant this afternoon so haven't managed much. I decided to start looking at the oily bits while I wait for a friend of a friend to work out if he wants to help with the welding. I took the rocker covers off and there was nothing too nasty. I took the knackered carb off and then lifted the inlet manifold off.

There appeared to be bits of the gasket blocking some of the holes.

When the old gasket was scraped off there was a sludgey goo behind it.

Inside the engine was similar with three out of the four holes appearing to be blocked by the gasket and back filled with sludge. One fo the four holes was completely dry and clear of sludge.

The sludge in the engine block was more rusty.

The question is - Is it worth continuing to work on this engine or are the internal water runs likely to be blocked?

I don't have access to any special tools or machines for clearing these. Will it be cheaper / easier to swap this engine for a reconditioned one?

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.
Old 12th February 2012, 19:15

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Either way it is worth continuing the strip down to see what lies beneath. The sludge is probably caused by infrequent oil changes and white froth is water in the oil.

Strip it right down before you make your final decision. But keep an eye on eBay anyway in case of the worst!
Old 20th February 2012, 08:07

An eventful weekend that was so busy I haven't updated my blog and am posting this from the train.
I spent most of saturday stripping the engine down. This is probably an really easy task for you proper mechanics but I have never done anything like this before so it was a slow but interesting process.
Saturday night involved a surprise party and getting to bed at 4am and sunday morning started with a 10am mountain bike ride. Not a good mix!
I wasn't feeling great after the ride but got a lovely email from Chaman.tech offering me the engine and box he had taken out of his scimi for a very reasonable price. I was going to pick it up in my TVR but decided to take the reliable and practical japanese pick up instead. It broke down twenty miles from Charman.techs house with a knackered alternator. The RAC managed to get me going by recharging the battery and disconnecting the alternator. I would be fine for the journey home as long as I didn't drain the battery using unnecessary things like head lights. The drive home in the dark was interesting

Anyway I now have two engines and gear boxes. Today I will order the new outriggers to weld on and next weekend will be busy
Unfortunately it will be busy fixing the pick up first then sorting out a tripping fuse in the merc then working on the G46. Who would have thought my TVR would be the least trouble of my four cars.

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 20th February 2012 at 08:13..
Old 20th February 2012, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
An eventful weekend that was so busy I haven't updated my blog and am posting this from the train.
I spent most of saturday stripping the engine down. This is probably an really easy task for you proper mechanics but I have never done anything like this before so it was a slow but interesting process.
Saturday night involved a surprise party and getting to bed at 4am and sunday morning started with a 10am mountain bike ride. Not a good mix!
I wasn't feeling great after the ride but got a lovely email from Chaman.tech offering me the engine and box he had taken out of his scimi for a very reasonable price. I was going to pick it up in my TVR but decided to take the reliable and practical japanese pick up instead. It broke down twenty miles from Charman.techs house with a knackered alternator. The RAC managed to get me going by recharging the battery and disconnecting the alternator. I would be fine for the journey home as long as I didn't drain the battery using unnecessary things like head lights. The drive home in the dark was interesting

Anyway I now have two engines and gear boxes. Today I will order the new outriggers to weld on and next weekend will be busy
Unfortunately it will be busy fixing the pick up first then sorting out a tripping fuse in the merc then working on the G46. Who would have thought my TVR would be the least trouble of my four cars.
Clad to hear you got home OK, It never occurred to me that it was going to be dark by the time you reached home I could have lent you a torch to hang out the window!!!!!!!!!!!!!