Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th July 2012, 09:26

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnysoutherner View Post
I hate to be a party pooper but I'm thinking the £5-6k prices people are putting up are, shall we say, a little hopeful??? Have any actually sold at this level? £3-4k seems more realistic in a crowded kit car market.
The last time my car was listed I had several offers around £5-6k, all of which I turned down. In the past several have sold for upto £7k with I beleive the lowest price sale being £5300.

At the end of the day, if you want one of these cars and dont have the skill or confidence to build one yourself then you either pay somebody to build it (not cheap) or you buy one thats already built so we as builders set the market.

Last edited by GazDavies; 19th July 2012 at 09:28..
Old 19th July 2012, 09:34

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I completley agree with Gaz and others and i'll throw in a few facts in here to try and back up what is being said:
  • There are only ~100 Sammios in existence, and that includes those being built.
  • So far only a very small number (1/2 a dozen?), have actually been sold (66, 48, and a few others) and that includes part-finished cars
  • All of those sold so-far have been Herald and not Vitesse based, apart from the unfinished GT6 based one.
  • So far all the completed cars that have sold, have sold for >£5k
  • This latest fail-to-sell, is the cheapest i've seen for one so far. BUT you have to remember that he states that ATM it isn't correctly registered (that will put people off) and that he says the paint needs redoing (that will also put people off)

So i have to agree with what has already been said and what my father has always said "something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it!"
Old 19th July 2012, 11:36

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

The unsold car was also on a home made frame. How easy will it be go register seeing as the chassis is already altered ( the parts that fall off after inspection). I would certainly be hesitant to part with my cash . Pops
Old 19th July 2012, 23:43

donnysoutherner is on a distinguished road

I'm delighted to stand corrected!
Old 21st July 2012, 11:38

mulberry is on a distinguished road

i never built my sammio to sell on ebay or even try to make a profit. the time and money i have put in this build would cost easliy 15k upwards. the seat`s came in at £980 . But there has been a huge change in things at home so sadly she has to find a new home. with fingers crossed i let here go for 8k
i agree with you other guys im sure these cars are far to cheap. it would only take few good examples to push the price up.
a part of me hopes it wont sell, and she stays with me.
its been great building one of these cars, somthing i never thought i would every dream of. but thanks to Gary Janes and his IDEA/VISON , he has made 1 of my dreams real, and wot a joy these cars are to drive ... to all of you starting out with your build or half way through happy building and driving its worth every penny at the end ..."gary you know any winning lottery numbers"
Old 21st July 2012, 11:52

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Good luck with your sale Mulb, it's a shame it's got to go after all your hard work.
Old 22nd July 2012, 21:01

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road
Default Another potential donor

Not very well listed though so you might have missed it.

ebay; 221078077203
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:22

It's a shame for the sellers that higher prices weren't realised. As far as the performance/price equation being reflected in the relatively low prices I think that would evaporate if these cars were sold in the traditional 'classified ad' way. Ebay is great for shifting unwanted items to a wider audience but if interested parties actually drove the car before making an offer then the character would far outshine the lack of performance when compared to a bike engined seven. And don't forget that the build cost isn't in five figures like most kit cars so I expect both cars at least broke even. And finally, I doubt anyone actually sets out to build one of these in order to sell it for a profit, but sometimes people's circumstances change and their hands are forced. I'll be hocking my soul to Il Diablo before I give mine up though...
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:43

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Coming at it from the other direction (and acknowledging that some are put in a position in which they have to sell).......if I assume that DVLA will let me drive until I am 70, and that the total build cost is £5,000, I will be "repaying" £3.85 a week for the next 25 years to own and drive something that is fun and beautiful. That's what I call "getting your money back".
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:19

garyh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for reminding me how old i am...
Old 24th July 2012, 18:18

mulberry is on a distinguished road

update, im still the owner of 1 sexy sammio spyder, lets just say bidder let me down...however the car will be placed in the buy it now section for a far higher price "one to increase the price on these cars and second i wanna keep her" but i am getting pressure to sell her.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
update, im still the owner of 1 sexy sammio spyder, lets just say bidder let me down...however the car will be placed in the buy it now section for a far higher price "one to increase the price on these cars and second i wanna keep her" but i am getting pressure to sell her.
I was going to say bad luck that your buyer let you down, but I reckon they did you a favour. Your car's worth much more than four and a half grand any day of the week. Enjoy your Spyder while the sun's shining and good luck getting a decent price for it if you have to sell.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:16

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road
Default Selling up

Hi Guys,
long time no speak. Busy packing MY stuff while the ex isn't around. Regards Jason's car, it is mot'd and taxed but still as a Herald. He initially spoke to DVLA instead of Vosa and it went from bad to worse from there, as he tried to "explain" to them what to do if you get my drift. I think to be fair he has had enough, and decided to cut and run. Thats where it was last time we spoke, although I haven't seen the car in the flesh. This brings up the question of cars that "look" like a Sammio, but aren't registered as one.

My car is now on hold until the house sells, and I get my life sorted. Does anyone know of a place I might rent in the Wymondham area of Norwich, with or without accomodation. PM me if you hear of anything.

Thanks Guys

Rocker
Old 24th July 2012, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
Sorry to hear the buyer let you down but Its glad that you are still the owner. That sort of money was way too cheap for a car like that!

If its any help, I put my car straight back on ebay and Ive had a lot more interest this time around with offers coming thick and fast. It seems however that I may very well be taking it off ebay shortly as Ive lined up a part ex deal with something that is every bit as sexy as a Spyder. Watch this space..........
Old 24th July 2012, 20:29

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Just typed Sammio into eBay and there is 1 Sammio up for grabs but more interestingly there are 2 triumphs both saying suitable donors for Sammio builds. Looks like Triumph owners are becoming aware of the potential new market.
Old 24th July 2012, 20:51

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road

WCA, just replied to the brake hose question. Keep up the good work, nearly ready for a "burn" up the road then! Tee Hee
Rocker
Old 25th July 2012, 16:09

BazMason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
If its any help, I put my car straight back on ebay and Ive had a lot more interest this time around with offers coming thick and fast. It seems however that I may very well be taking it off ebay shortly as Ive lined up a part ex deal with something that is every bit as sexy as a Spyder. Watch this space..........
oh, you tease....
Old 25th July 2012, 16:17

I have now removed the Spyder from eBay as I have agreed a deal with Patoune for his unfinished G46 that is in Poole with Gary.
Old 25th July 2012, 16:54

Don't act too hastily, methinks there may be a part built Sammio going on ebay from an unhappy chap soon...
Old 25th July 2012, 16:57

BazMason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
I have now removed the Spyder from eBay as I have agreed a deal with Patoune for his unfinished G46 that is in Poole with Gary.
Get it finished pronto then matey!!! (and drive it up to Scotland to show me )