Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 30th May 2017, 22:56

Motocross is on a distinguished road
Default Pop Up Headlights for Lamborghini Countach Replica

I am looking for a Set of Pop Up Headlight Motors, and Mounting paraphenalia for a Countach Replica. My headlight doors are mounted and swivel to the open and closed position properly when pushing them manually from the undercarriage, now I need the motors and electrical items required to install the headlights.

Let me know if you have a set for sale, or can point me in the right direction as far as what type of car used these type of headlights and motors. I know that certain Corvettes, and the Acura NSX, and the Mazda MX5 all made dual bulb pop up headlights, but I want to buy the right ones for my replica.

email garyp@ersantenna.com -Gary P.

Last edited by Motocross; 30th May 2017 at 23:03..
Available from eBay
Old 31st May 2017, 07:37

Axel is on a distinguished road

Lamborghini originally used the motors from the Fiat X1/9, I had them as well and they worked fine.
They were a bit tricky with the electrics to get them stopping at the right point up or down.
Enclosed is a picture of mine (not a very good one but you can guess how it looks like and see the number).

Best regards, Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocross View Post
I am looking for a Set of Pop Up Headlight Motors, and Mounting paraphenalia for a Countach Replica. My headlight doors are mounted and swivel to the open and closed position properly when pushing them manually from the undercarriage, now I need the motors and electrical items required to install the headlights.

Let me know if you have a set for sale, or can point me in the right direction as far as what type of car used these type of headlights and motors. I know that certain Corvettes, and the Acura NSX, and the Mazda MX5 all made dual bulb pop up headlights, but I want to buy the right ones for my replica.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0131.jpg (93.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 31st May 2017, 17:41

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Mitsubishi GTO pop up headlights are common and cheap on Ebay.co.uk
Old 31st May 2017, 18:06

Thanks Axel and Jaguartvr,

Im located in the USA in the state of Michigan, so I'll have a look at both the Fiat and Mitsubishi GTO motors, then fabricate one of them to work on my car.

Gary
Old 31st May 2017, 18:08

If you are in the US it will be the Mitsubishi 3000GT or the Dodge Stealth.
Old 31st May 2017, 18:21

Thank you, Ive just pulled both of them up, and can see the motors are inexpensive and similar to one another.

Do I just need to fabricate from sheet metal the holder of the light bulbs that will set underneath the pop up door, or is there a standard built holder ?

Once I have the motor in place and working, is the motor wired and working in conjunction with the lights themselves, or are the pop up doors and the headlights wired and switched separately ?
Old 31st May 2017, 18:41

Normally the mitsubishi units come out in one unit that consists of the holder, motor, light and top flap. If they are cheap enough it's just a matter of buying a pair and making them fit. The headlights themselves are not particularly bright so a later light may be needed, again a matter of just trying.
Old 31st May 2017, 18:46

Thank you. I saw their 1 piece construction versus the X19 which is just the motor.
I would buy the headlights and their electrical sockets new and give it a slight upgrade as to ensure they are bright. Your right, some old units were dim, and not worth using since were spending time to build it right, might as well do it right
Old 1st June 2017, 12:04

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocross View Post
My headlight doors are mounted and swivel to the open and closed position properly

I may be thinking at a tangent, but if you are just moving covers in front of headlights (with the headlights fixed behind) this can be done with a modified wiper motor and some linkages. My Quantum kit car uses this method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5554.jpg (93.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5555.jpg (94.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 1st June 2017, 17:07

The wiper motor is an interesting concept. Do you have any pictures of your configuration under the hood ?
Old 1st June 2017, 18:19

I have some photos, but they don't really show how it works. I'll try to post up a couple of pages from the Quantum instruction manual, as that will show more.
It's basically a wiper motor with a modified parking segment which means it parks in 2 positions with about about 90 degrees movement. So all you then need is one motor inside the nosecone, and a threaded rod (8mm) attached to the wiper motor via a lever. When the motor is activated the 8mm rod moves a lever on both sides (attached via thin rods to flaps) The flaps then move down when required (lights on) or up when lights off to 'mask' the headlights.
I'll try to attach the instruction pages to a note this evening (2-3 hours from now)
Old 1st June 2017, 18:28

Thank you, thats a good description, so I definitely understand the concept. It's OK if you don't find the instructions, as I can now visualize what needs to be done using your method and a wiper motor. I have to fabricate the control arms and mounts from scratch since Im starting from scratch, but Im looking forward to the challenge, and will try to document and photograph each of my steps, then post to a forum on this site
Old 1st June 2017, 22:29

The manual is over 100 A4 pages in PDF, and I can't work out how to send it. I have copied to a word document the diagram which may help though. The main thing is to make the motor park in 2 positions - I'll try to send that if you need it. Update - Even one page exceeds the file size. Really frustrating.
Old 1st June 2017, 22:53

I understand. Dont try to send the document, thats more time than you need to spend. I understand the concept and shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks again,

Gary