Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 27th March 2012, 09:19

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Exhausts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volospian View Post
I think I see what you mean with the exhausts now. Running them down a recess in the bodywork. That's what I was thinking of too, a la C-Type, but, as I said, I was thinking of a single side exit (although I don't know it that's feasible yet, depending on pipe routing....)
Yep, exactly like a C Type, cherry bomb under the door exiting just behind. The exhausts under the car would be under the chassis rails, very very low.

The only disadvantage with side exit pipes being my experience of Madmarks, Healy BN1 with a 350 chevy, that the first half hour is a fantastic but after two hours your ear drums are bleeding.

And I forgot most importantly you don't keep grounding out on the crap roads we have here in Surrey, thank God we live near the Sussex border, great roads!
Old 27th March 2012, 11:57

andrewhush is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
Very impressive I am afraid old technology for me, I would have to have an auto electrician on stand by for yours.

I suppose you get the same problem with a four pot as a V8 the engine sits back a lot further than the V6, love the chassis
Yes the 4 pot is a bit longer and has the added difficulty of the distributor being mounted on the gearbox end of the cylinder head. When I can get the body on I will be able to see how accessible it will be. Possibly another reason to change to a distributorless system.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:15

volospian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
The only disadvantage with side exit pipes being my experience of Madmarks, Healy BN1 with a 350 chevy, that the first half hour is a fantastic but after two hours your ear drums are bleeding.
Prior Triumph GT6 and TVR Cerbera ownership has put me in good stead for that. I remember one day I'd had the Cerb idling on the drive for a while for some reason. It had sports pipes fitted. I left it running while I went upstairs for a quick pee and I could actually feel the bathroom floor vibrating with the sound of the exhaust. If you timed it right, the overrun would set off car alarms as you passed
Old 27th March 2012, 16:16

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Check out the TVR music from my wedge. The last picture is actually a video. You may want to turn your speakers down a bit first

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewe...04070771211345
Old 27th March 2012, 19:12

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

LOOKING VERY IMPRESSIVE ...Like the way these cars are going....

Round arches is definitely an improvement - might have to change that !!

Keep us updated with pics please ....
Old 27th March 2012, 19:22

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

GOTTA AGREE THE NAVY BLUE DOES SHOW THE LINES OF THE CAR A LOT BETTER....

DARK BLUE WOULD REALLY SUIT IT AS A FINISH COLOUR , OR RED , OR SILVER , OR .......
Old 27th March 2012, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
..... OR SILVER , OR .......
Old 28th March 2012, 06:14

Default more cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
LOOKING VERY IMPRESSIVE ...Like the way these cars are going....

Round arches is definitely an improvement - might have to change that !!

Keep us updated with pics please ....

Gary the one thing we are concious of is not to drift to far from the base and not to upset you, thanks for your comments.

We have now rounded the front arch and as you can see this is true to your design as it is slightly flat at the top and slopes forward, so we have retained that stance.

[IMG][/IMG]

Having done that late yesterday afternoon we decided to go all the way. I am losing my assistant Charlie for three months on Saturday he is going back to work so we decided to cut it all before the weekend which will then leave me three months to stick it back together bit by bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

So this is the bulkhead cut

[IMG][/IMG]

Bulkhead slipped back

[IMG][/IMG]

Standing back to get a look!, covered half the village in dust

[IMG][/IMG]

Back in the garage with the offside door gaffer taped in approx position, whilst the rear door shut is not there we were keen to see the line over the bonnet, across the extended bullhead, door and to the rear wing wheel arch, coke bottle retained we think it works well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cardboard, gaffer tape bit of filler should be OK shouldn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit more cutting tonight should see it done.
Old 28th March 2012, 06:20

Default silly picture

in reply to a question on seating position and could go into the thread obligatory photo!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 28th March 2012, 06:33

Yeah, looking nice!!
Old 28th March 2012, 06:58

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Looks like I need to get a spurt on to catch up! Just wondering about the gear box on yours, will you need to reach through the dash to change gear or has sticking the V8 so far back moved the 'box back far enough?

Looks great so far. I think the round arches make a huge difference. The flat tops were distinctive but rounded is more pleasing on the eye.

What are you doing about electrics, have you managed to reuse what was there?

I need a new loom so was thinking of getting one of these : http://rapidfitlooms.co.uk/modular-deluxe.htm

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 28th March 2012 at 07:06..
Old 28th March 2012, 10:50

Default Wca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Looks like I need to get a spurt on to catch up! Just wondering about the gear box on yours, will you need to reach through the dash to change gear or has sticking the V8 so far back moved the 'box back far enough?

Looks great so far. I think the round arches make a huge difference. The flat tops were distinctive but rounded is more pleasing on the eye.

What are you doing about electrics, have you managed to reuse what was there?

I need a new loom so was thinking of getting one of these : http://rapidfitlooms.co.uk/modular-deluxe.htm
Yep the engine and gear box is much longer and the gear stick should just fall to hand, may need slight bending of the stick but no remote extensions although I do have one if needed.

With the electrics we will have a complete loom made, in my case not dissimilar to to a standard Cobra Kit car range. I seem to recall the the old Scimitar was a nightmare with earthing etc and the loom is huge which reflects the amount of earth wires they ran. I would imaging it would be easier to have a new loom in yours rather than pick apart the existing one?

Don't worry I am not miles ahead just some rapid progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28th March 2012, 13:49

Looking good. What height is your chassis from the ground at the moment? To get the suspension wishbones and trailing links at the correct neutral position (for a scimitar) I have got mine set on fixed struts. This puts the chassis 6 1/2" from the ground to the underside of the mail chassis rails. This measurement was calculated from the often quoted scimitar ride height of 27" to the top of the wheel arches.
Old 28th March 2012, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhush View Post
Looking good. What height is your chassis from the ground at the moment? To get the suspension wishbones and trailing links at the correct neutral position (for a scimitar) I have got mine set on fixed struts. This puts the chassis 6 1/2" from the ground to the underside of the mail chassis rails. This measurement was calculated from the often quoted scimitar ride height of 27" to the top of the wheel arches.
The car is standing on the original coil over shocks well old not a lot of movement in them.

The car is going to gain say another 100 - 150kgs before completion.

The revised wheel arches are 680mm (27") off the ground.

The underside of the main chassis rail is 210mm (8") off the deck under the engine rising to 220mm (9") at the rear

I thinking it will need slightly softer springs than the Scimitar and dropping by about 75mm (3") on the spring length.

What do you think? all a bit suck it and see I think the body would look good with the chassis 125mm (5") off the deck or is that to low or would it work with 100mm (4").

I should add the car is sitting on 14" 70 profile tyres at the moment and the wire wheels I have are 15" 70's. so it will be going higher before we lower it.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:40

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Its looking great - the shell will go back together with no problems

I found bonding paste was a great help - think of it of very fine, ultra tough body filler. The back of the roadster was formed with a sectioned and quartered porsche 550 shell and while i wasn't sure when i cut it - it is getting there now.

Good luck - i look forward to meeting it on the road one day soon.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:57

Approx 6 1/2" to the underside of the chassis rails sets the rear trailing arms horizontal. This avoids rear axle steering effects when the body rolls during cornering. Arms sloping upwards to the rear makes the car run wider, and the opposite will tend to turn tighter on its own. Scary or exciting depending on you own point of view!
I am intending to mount the body as high as possible on the chassis with the bottom of the cills level with the underside of the chassis side rails to maximise the depth within the cockpit. I don't know yet if the midget hood assembly added to the available body height is going to be enough to get in and out over the high door cill.
Your earlier comment about AVO shocks and springs for £90 a corner sounds good value. Do you have contact details for someone there you spoke to?

Last edited by andrewhush; 28th March 2012 at 21:07..
Old 29th March 2012, 07:20

Andrewhush all that is good to know about the suspension geometry noted for later. Interesting mounting the body high, not to high I hope you have been watching monster trucks on the tele.

Well after Tuesday impressive posting we spent last night dismantling the glory shots to start work on moving back the bulkhead.

This is what we cut out

[IMG][/IMG]

Main reason is the v8 is such a long way back, we know the Scimitar boys do it by just chopping the bulkhead about, but seeing as the pedal box is coming back in our case and we want to make a special job of the car we decided to cut out the existing bulkhead and bond in a 20mm ply purpose cut jobbie, we are even toying with the idea of covering this in alli sheet on the engine side as we will have flat angular surfaces to work from.

Well first the bracing up to keep the shape
[IMG][/IMG]

and then cut it all out, believe it or not it has all remained rigid.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Right then off to local timber yard to get Plywood, like this part time to be creative, plenty of thinking hours in the garage and avoid the men in white coats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wife / Mother said last night why are you cutting it up! she obviously doesn't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29th March 2012, 07:25

further picture

One thing I am able to do as a result of this build is now take photos, load onto PC, transfer to photobucket, and insert in this form, all bymyself, which as to be more impressive than the build, ask my son.[IMG]
[/IMG]

That will stop the engine overheating!
Old 29th March 2012, 08:30

And the beauty of it all is that if (when) I go to do all these mods on my build, you'll have done most of what I want to do, meaning I can learn by your mistakes
Old 29th March 2012, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by volospian View Post
And the beauty of it all is that if (when) I go to do all these mods on my build, you'll have done most of what I want to do, meaning I can learn by your mistakes
But I am not listing the mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it would take to long