Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 8th July 2012, 21:01

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

It look to me as if the body could do with going back a bit to align the wheel in the arch. It would also give clearance on the clutch cylinder.
Old 8th July 2012, 22:32

donnysoutherner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriniMan View Post
It look to me as if the body could do with going back a bit to align the wheel in the arch. It would also give clearance on the clutch cylinder.
Agreed, might be something for future cordites but would need really significant mods to the frame so not happening on mine.
Old 9th July 2012, 06:23

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the photos Simon and for leading the way so that others can follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnysoutherner View Post
... Btw, what do you think of the proposed colour, as painted onto the bulkhead??...
I like it.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your build, Paul.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:29

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Colour's lovely and I like the rear inner wheelarch solution. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 9th July 2012 at 08:36..
Old 18th July 2012, 11:59

Default Latest update photos

Ok, since last time I have....

Fitted the fuel tank loosely as it will have to come out again for bonding (oops sorry no photo, will follow).

Fitted the battery in a home made wooden box. Cut the rear of the bulkhead, then found I didn't need to!

Finished off the braking system by refurbing and replacing the front calipers then bleeding. They work (well a bit at least)! Will need a better bleed before hitting the road.

Finished off the carbs (again completely refurbed) and new choke and throttle cable fitted. Then I found the old ones!

Got all the pedals now! And gearstick (again, linkages and bushes refurbed)

So now I have brakes, fuel, carbs, clutch. Steering and electrics to go. Just got new coil through the post so hopefully can get the vital wiring done in next week or so.

Going to have to go to see Gary at Spitfire Graveyard again. Need to measure exactly where to cut the hole in the bulkhead for the steering column, and see how this fits (as my donor was in bits when I got it).

Also need alternator connection as this is missing on my loom. Fortunately I have two looms and making one good one hopefully. Not as ambitious as those of you making a new loom, perhaps I'll regret that later.

More to follow, depending on how much time I get this week. Target is engine running by mid August.

(water feature is finished so wife is happy!)

Last edited by donnysoutherner; 18th July 2012 at 12:06.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 18th July 2012, 12:04

Shiny new sports exhaust on order, should arrive this week too! My wife thinks it's sad that I get so excited about such things. I thought the same when she order a Karen Millen jacket.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:19

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Karen who?
Old 19th July 2012, 20:53

Hi Simon,

It seems to be coming together really well.

I'd be grateful for any more details / photos of your lowering block in place.
( I've already got mine from Rimmer Bros. for when I eventually get to that stage.)

Quote:
... Going to have to go to see Gary at Spitfire Graveyard again. Need to measure exactly where to cut the hole in the bulkhead for the steering column, and see how this fits (as my donor was in bits when I got it)...
Just had a quick look at my downloaded photos and don't know if this helps...

I could take some more photos tomorrow night / Saturday if you want.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 19th July 2012, 22:36

Sorry, can't really do picture of lowering block, it's buried under e floor! Remember I did it the hard way, much easier if you do it before putting the frame on!

Thanks for the photo, there is a mark on the bulkhead where it needs to go, just didn't look quite right to me!
Old 20th July 2012, 08:19

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

A laser pointer is very useful for these kind of alignments and you can usually see it through GRP.
Old 13th August 2012, 22:29

Not posted for a while and as usual pictures will follow but a bit of news:

Big news is that I got the engine started tonight for the first time! More luck than judgement possibly and a surprise for the neighbours as well at 10.30 pm. Oops!

Now has a steering column, then found that the steering wheel boss didn't fit from my eBay purchase. Now boss on order, still a bargain for a nice retro wheel.

Bought a set of MGF 8 spoke wheels for 70 quid. Very happy with them. Got a set of studs and nuts from my old friend Gary at Spitfire Graveyard for a tenner. Need to get the new studs in but will need spacers to place the wheel at the correct offset at the front. This is both to fit with the line of the car but also to prevent the brake hose possibly rubbing on the wheel. Again sounded from t'internet but yet to be fitted.

Loads of home type stuff to do this week but will try to find time to mess about with the wheels and take some photos.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:54

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Now looking enviously at your Master Cylinder layout... Beware buying a late 1500 donor as it comes with a tandem brake system as a default. Just as well we don't have to IVA as I'm going to have to downgrade the system to a single cylinder to get it to fit
Old 19th August 2012, 17:46

Quote:
... Big news is that I got the engine started tonight for the first time! ...
Hi Simon,

Just catching up after my family holiday, great news.

Look forward to seeing more photos, Paul.
Old 4th November 2012, 09:55

Hi, I'm back, didn't realise it had been so long since my last update. here's the news...

Got MGF wheels off ebay (bargain at £100 for 4)and fitted them....

Had to fit MGF wheel studs which needed cutting down to size but spline fits into spitfire hubs which was good news. Needed 37mm of spacers at the front which were sourced from ebay (thanks to Mtec for that, what a great supplier, even sent me extra 5mm spacers for free when i realised the 32mm wasn't quite enough)....

It does now mean that the brake pipes are well clear of the wheel and the wheels lines up nicely with the body...

Old 4th November 2012, 10:00

The tyres need to be wider walled, then I think they will fit the arch pretty well. I have used a 25mm spacer to lower, with a 60 or 65 wall rather than a 55 shown this will be right I'm sure.

Next was to losely fit the bonnet...

Loop and hinge home made, not quite right as the bonnet does not really open far enough, but is at least adjustable for length and height....

Old 4th November 2012, 10:07

I have decided to lower the radiator which was fouling on the bonnet, I am also removing the mechanical fan which dangerously became the highets thing and the point of contact with the bonnet. Again, back to the 'bay for an electric fan and heat switch, yet to be fitted....

Radiator filler cap is not now the highest point so will need a header tank Now the point of contact is the top of the carb, but once properly adjusted i think will clear. if not it will be a 'bonnet bump'...

Old 4th November 2012, 10:13

Have completed the first rear wheel arch by welding new metal to the old spitfire floor I put in and then using Sikaflex to 'glue to the Sammio body....

Pretty pleased with the result so far, not bad for a learner welder! Because I also have a boot floor I think I will end up putting a boot in my cordite as well. It is time consuming when you're a slow welder like me, but worth it in the end to have proper wheelarches and a boot.

Last edited by donnysoutherner; 4th November 2012 at 10:27.. Reason: Grammar and spelling!
Old 4th November 2012, 10:19

Like Paul, i'm waiting for floor pans to arrive (thanks Andy for your work on this) but before then I am going to have to adapt the frame to move the upright which is next to the clutch pedal. It's position means that teh gearstick almost fouls the steering wheel...

...and is very close to the clutch pedal itself.

I think I will move it to be between the brake and clutch pedals which will allow the steering wheel to come further across and will revent the pedals fouling on the upright.

As you can see the fitting of the steering column is temporary, I will need to make some kind of bracket for final fitting.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:23

I have also loosely fitted one of the doors, but pictures yet to coem as that side is currently next to the wall of the garage. I have sold my TVR so that means more funds and more space in the garage.

The bad news is that I'm temporarily moving house for a few months (long story) so i probably won't get much time to work on the Sammio for a while.

I have however applied for the registration which looks like it might be an interesting experience at the Sheffield DVLA office. Sent the form off over a week ago and also sent an email to the guy, but absolutely no reply as yet.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:26

garyh is on a distinguished road

You're right D, it has been a long time... At least your car is ready to be inspected. I like how you did the wheel arch, very neat.