Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 22nd May 2016, 13:39

phil9 is on a distinguished road

looking good towed
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Oh dear, I may have a slight technical hitch with my car…

Distance between bottom of rear valance and ground:

Mr T - 30 cm

Pops - 23 cm

Paul L - Less than 19 cm

See my build thread for more details.
Old 22nd May 2016, 18:39

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Oh dear, I may have a slight technical hitch with my car…

Distance between bottom of rear valance and ground:

Mr T - 30 cm

Pops - 23 cm

Paul L - Less than 19 cm

See my build thread for more details.
Measured mine again today Paul after driving it forwards and stomping on the brake pedal to settle it as I'd measured it after reversing yesterday, which does jack the back up slightly. It's actually 28cm across the centre.

I don't have a problem with exhaust ground clearance as my silencer is raised up above the chassis level. When I did have the single stainless back box fitted, 70 profile tyres and a 3" lowering block it did foul speed bumps a couple of times.

The trick Phil J used on his was to fit a pair of slim, E-Type Jag silencers directly under the rear axle. Although that puts them lower than if they were sloping up towards the rear valance they rise up with the wheels on speed bumps so maintain the same clearance whatever the wheels are doing. With the silencers set further back they can ground on the crest of a hump as the wheels travel down the far side.

Putting 14" wheels on would make quite a difference too.
Old 22nd May 2016, 21:04

swifty is on a distinguished road

My back valance is 230mm at the center to road and 130mm underside of silencer to road, twin cherry bombs with pipes running below the back chassis rails.
Old 24th May 2016, 08:37

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Nice job on that rear valance Mr T!

My! Did you ever get some flak on my thread re expensive paint jobs!!

I watched Wheeler dealers the other night, you know the one, where a really good mechanic does his best to sort out a complete rubbished wreck bought by an "expert" mouthy yobo
who knows sod-all about cars?

Well they were doing a VW van, and they paid £2000 to have
wait for it, the interior painted!! The inside of a van for goodness sake, that has to be a bit steep I think, considering it was all stripped out and prepped for the paint shop beforehand.
Old 24th May 2016, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
Nice job on that rear valance Mr T!

My! Did you ever get some flak on my thread re expensive paint jobs!!

I watched Wheeler dealers the other night, you know the one, where a really good mechanic does his best to sort out a complete rubbished wreck bought by an "expert" mouthy yobo
who knows sod-all about cars?

Well they were doing a VW van, and they paid £2000 to have
wait for it, the interior painted!! The inside of a van for goodness sake, that has to be a bit steep I think, considering it was all stripped out and prepped for the paint shop beforehand.
Cheers Scottie, been living with that valance for three years and it bugged me every time I pushed it out of the garage. Nobody else ever commented on it though.

You're absolutely right about Wheeler Dealers, I like the chap who can but the wide-boy gobshite isn't really my cup of tea. Reminds me too much of what has become of what was a pleasant rural community in my native county. Essex...

As for the unpleasantness over on the Tribute pages, sorry if I spoiled your build thread in any way, I didn't mean to get involved in a slag-off with a pro painter. I was just trying to offer an alternative view to the 'you must spend five grand to have your car professionally sprayed or it'll look crap' statement.

Funnily enough, the only people I see complaining about their paint failing over in Tribute world have paid a pro to paint their car for them. Strange that, when you think how much work and skill goes into a professional job.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 24th May 2016 at 18:05..
Old 24th May 2016, 18:01

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

All this talk of spray job costs got me thinking, surely the cost of the job has to be relevant to the cost of the build and the final vehicle value. I myself could never justify 5k on a car that will be worth little more than that once finished, I am willing however to follow your lead with my Liddles compressor, machine mart spray gun and Internet paint all in around £500. I will also have the satisfaction that whatever the result it was all done by my own hand ground up.
Pops
Old 24th May 2016, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
All this talk of spray job costs got me thinking, surely the cost of the job has to be relevant to the cost of the build and the final vehicle value. I myself could never justify 5k on a car that will be worth little more than that once finished, I am willing however to follow your lead with my Liddles compressor, machine mart spray gun and Internet paint all in around £500. I will also have the satisfaction that whatever the result it was all done by my own hand ground up.
Pops
My philosophy to a tee 'pops.
Old 24th May 2016, 19:42
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Are you lot all on the blob or something

Just give it a rest, it's getting tiresome.
Old 24th May 2016, 20:09

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
Are you lot all on the blob or something

Just give it a rest, it's getting tiresome.
on the blob......long time since I heard that one.
Old 24th May 2016, 22:15

garyh is on a distinguished road

Pops, how about...
The decorators are in... Or should it be the sprayers!
Old 26th May 2016, 13:17

so now all back to norm ......me and lads are out for run around coast sunday hope to see you come along ....after all thats what cars are for just ring me towed
Old 26th May 2016, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil9 View Post
so now all back to norm ......me and lads are out for run around coast sunday hope to see you come along ....after all thats what cars are for just ring me towed
Looking forward to the run Phil, just need to get new rear light arrangement wired up.
Old 5th June 2016, 20:01

Grand day out at Snetterton today for some historic sports and saloon car racing.

Our humble rides -

One can dream -

Some fantastic cars in the paddock and pit lane -

But the star car for me is always this Disco Volante, which is just a work of art inside and out -

...and which the owner drives to the track, races and then drives home again. That's the spirit!

There was also some great racing on the track, with the classic Minis showing how it should be done (even though they didn't win), using all the track and then some -

All in all a grand day out.
Old 5th June 2016, 21:03

a great day towed till next time see soon
Old 6th June 2016, 18:56

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - Great to see you back out on the road again.

Does this mean you have finished the back end?
( The new bonnet bulge seems to be painted. )

Cheers, Paul.
Old 6th June 2016, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Mr T - Great to see you back out on the road again.

Does this mean you have finished the back end?
( The new bonnet bulge seems to be painted. )

Cheers, Paul.
Front and rear still in grey primer Paul. I'll be painting the grey bits when I've got a few days off and the weather's nice. Til then I'll just use it as it is.

I'm much happier with the rear valance now it doesn't slope down to one side, nobody ever commented on it but it was just bugging me.

Now then, never mind all that gardening nonsense, let's have that car of yours finished and in convoy with the Norfolk Spyders.
Old 6th June 2016, 23:41

BazMason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post

You're absolutely right about Wheeler Dealers, I like the chap who can but the wide-boy gobshite isn't really my cup of tea. Reminds me too much of what has become of what was a pleasant rural community in my native county. Essex...
I have it on good authority that Mike Brewer is a decent chap and that his on screen wide-boy persona is all an act for the cameras.

Did you ever see his programme he did on The RAF Chinook 'BN'? He was doing a programme out in Afghanistan where he was on board during a MERT mission they got shot at but eventually made it back to Bastion albeit with the pilot having taken a round in the head.

The boys in true RAF style played it down saying that BN always makes it back. Brewer was intrigued and did a bit of digging finding out the back story. It turns out that BN was the only surviving aircraft of the Atlantic Conveyer which was hit en-route to the Falklands during the conflict. A friend of mine flew it down there and inevitably got into a bit of a scrape during a snow storm which resulted in them crashing into a lake... my pal thought that was that and decided he should probably make an attempt to get out and jettisoned his side door (containing his secrets stashed in the pockets...) the old bird wasn't having any of it and with a roar managed to get airborne again and return to base albeit with the crew a little cold with now having a door sized hole. It flew like this for the most of the remainder of the conflict with my mate Andy getting relentlessly ribbed about carelessly losing the door, only regaining a door after the capture of an Argentinian chinook offered up spares. It has since flown in every conflict we have been involved in and still flies today.

Mike did a programme on the beast taking my pal back to the Falklands to tell his tale (I'll try and dig out the YouTube clip...) he says that a nicer, more intelligent chap you could hardly meet, much more different to his wheeler dealer persona, which I agree, can be a bit much!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAjoxc1Qa9U

This is my pal with Mike, although this isn't the clip I was looking for, I'll do more digging...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wuI0_1lypHc
Old 10th June 2016, 03:04

deni is on a distinguished road

Hi Mister Towed,

Hope you don't mind me asking a question. I've read earlier in your thread that you have changed your differential and that you are currently using 3:27 ratio one (I am not sure if you have an overdrive gear box or not), and that you are very happy with it. My question is; which differential would be better in your opinion, 3:89 or 3:63 ratio, with a Spitfire 1500 engine and non overdrive, 4 speed gearbox?

Many thanks, Deni.
Old 10th June 2016, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni View Post
Hi Mister Towed,

Hope you don't mind me asking a question. I've read earlier in your thread that you have changed your differential and that you are currently using 3:27 ratio one (I am not sure if you have an overdrive gear box or not), and that you are very happy with it. My question is; which differential would be better in your opinion, 3:89 or 3:63 ratio, with a Spitfire 1500 engine and non overdrive, 4 speed gearbox?

Many thanks, Deni.
Hi Deni, always happy to answer questions. Yes, I have a GT6 3.27:1 differential with a non-overdrive Vitesse gearbox. I went with that diff as I planned to drive the car long distances and wanted to keep the revs down at motorway speeds and achieve better fuel economy. The GT6 diff gives me the same gearing in top as overdrive 4th with the 3.89:1 Vitesse diff in place, but was a lot cheaper and easier than changing the gearbox.

I like the character it gives my car - it'll do 40mph in first but still pulls hard from 30mph in top, but bear in mind I have a 2 litre six under the bonnet. It depends what you want the car to do which diff you choose: Phil J started with a Herald 4.11:1 which gave scorching acceleration on the track but the car ran out of revs at 90mph and was too low geared for road use. He now has a 3.63:1 with overdrive but that's being turned by a mighty powerful motor (2.6 litre six with about 180bhp).

For your own car running a 1500, the 3.89 would give you slightly better acceleration through the gears but the 3:63 would give a good compromise between acceleration, (theoretical) top speed, cruising ability and fuel economy. I'd go with that if it were my car and it's cheap and easy to change the diff if you don't like the way it drives. Also bear in mind that the bigger wheels and tyres we fit raise the gearing and that you'll need to match the speedo to the diff you use - I have a GT6 non overdrive speedometer to match the 3.27:1 diff and the speed reading is almost exactly correct (the bigger wheels/tyres take out the universal 10% higher speed reading error).

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy driving your car no matter what diff you end up with.