Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Seven Style builds

Seven Style builds Westfields, Caterham, Dax Rush, Luego, Robin Hood, Tiger, Locust, MK, RAW, Quantum, you name it, you're building it, share it here.

Old 30th May 2012, 01:19

etlsnll is on a distinguished road
Default Partially completed Westfield SE1

Hi there,

I have a partially completed 1988 [yes - a very long project] Westfield SE1 (not wide-bodied) car that my dad has left me. Aplogies for a newbie asking perhaps stupid questions, but I was wondering what something like this was worth to sell on, as I have no time to take it on myself?

It has been garaged the whole time, so no rust damage to apart from the headlamps, and the frame he he got powder coated, so it's all still pretty sound still. The interior panels are fitted along with the wiring loom, and the suspension/wishbones are assembled with carmona alloy wheels. There is no engine and gearbox, or a hood or carpets, but it has a Sierra propshaft and there are some other parts like alternator, starter, instruments etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Available from eBay
Old 31st May 2012, 17:55
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Steve

This is a common situation for mature builds and the risks to a new buyer, if they understand the problems they are buying into are great. The problems for the unwary can be a build breaker and it's a real pain.

The rules have changed and the expectations by the IVA test are greater than they were in 1988.

If there is no build history its classification as an amateur build is an issue, if its classed as a professional build the problems are greater.

If there is no doner evidence or if there is no history of invoices bills and receipts to prove the age of the bits used and the original purchase of the chassis and suspension components there is the likely hood that Q plate will be issued because the age of the parts cannot be identified.

It would appear that the general value if completed and registered is somewhere around £3000 dependant on the quality of the build and components used (engine g/box etc.).

You have a couple of options, if completing it yourself is a non starter you could pay for another to complete the build, this will mean the purchase of the missing bits engine g/box etc. and will require an investment to complete. I know people that can do this for you.

If you want to sell it then to obtain the best price you need to be diligent in assessing the current status and what is missing to complete, the paperwork supporting the purchase is important and any pictures of the build progress you may have, are these bits of detail are part of the package and will increase the value if you can assemble it.

The original kit would have been purchased with options for engine and g/box types and this detail is important as different brackets may have been supplied for the chosen options and make a difference to the buyer.

What's it worth?

I have seen un-built but materially complete kits sell for £1000- £2000 dependant on the information provided to guide the buyer. In your case its is incomplete no power unit and its history is undefined based on that you have said.

Dependant on your location in the world I suggest you enlist the help of a local builder to help the assessment and valuation. If you anywhere close to the South West sent me a message and I may be able to assist.

Best of luck. JC
Old 1st June 2012, 05:35

Thanks very much for the very thorough advice JC. Will look for documentationon parts etc. I think he was planning to put one of those Ford Cortina 1.6 crossflow engines in there, so engine mountings probably are no good for a more modern engine...
Old 16th March 2013, 18:01

bobkat is on a distinguished road

hi i would totaly agree with eaa 53 or you could just take some photos of what you have got and then put the whole lot on ebay with a reserve and let it find its own level hope this will also help
Old 17th March 2013, 20:53

Thanks,

my sister managed to sell it on to a friend so hopefully it will finally get on the road one day