Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 17th August 2014, 16:32

ukhozi is on a distinguished road
Default early exotics

Just glancing down the list and I was wondering what heading our cars come under, Nova, Eagle SS, Avanti, etc, sort of 1970 to 1990s exotics, mostly VW beetle based.
Available from eBay
Old 30th December 2014, 12:03

Entering my 70th year tomorrow and feeling a bit morose ( so apology's already ) regarding our unique Eagle and Nova kit cars and I guess it applies to many other marques, basically wondering just how serious the owners are about getting the car back on the road as it seems a lot of us are tinkering as a hobby (much like me ]) as and when the mood takes us rather than a balls out effort to get finished, all legal and stuff .

I have recently been, 'advised' on another car forum to "lighten up" about the total loss of yet another two Ford based Eagle SSs, as they are regarded as "ugly" and "disposable plastic shite nobody wants" and if ALL the Nova/SSs disappeared we would just move onto another vehicle to mess about with, a view obviously shared by some incapable people whose efforts from years past who also have lost interest, (ability, space, money, support, etc) and 'binned' their efforts and just quietly slipped away from our forums and shows, sorry, one remaining show .

I know many fall by the drive side for the many reasons and things are certainly not getting any easier, even with an improvement in the economy, (really ) cash is still tight and the cost of a second 'fun car' is not getting any less expensive even with a slight drop in fuel prices and with cars on Ebay going unsold for as little as the cost of it's screen alone rather adds weight to my view, no one wants them. Stirling cars in the USA have stopped producing complete kits for sale and only make parts to order and sales of Malaysian Noreca GTs (at $6,800 per body kit, plus shipping) are "disappointing" according to their sales manager and they have recently only sold a few parts as 'upgrades' to American Stirling's such as headlight pods for quad projectors and one hood.

Should I then be content and accept the fact that of the 30 (of a total over 2,000 cars) or so I know to be in various stages of 'project mode' on our forums maybe as few as three will ever see the light of day ? I know many will jump up and say, "mine will, any day now" , but really, seriously, will it ? So many things getting in the way, family, housing, 'real' cars, money/jobs, etc.
It seems we are loosing completed, road going cars faster than 'new' ones are appearing, Rant over .
Old 30th December 2014, 16:56

davecymru is on a distinguished road

As I've learnt over the course of the last few car based projects, B@LLS to what other people think as long as _you_ like what you're doing!

When I built my old Sammio Spyder I was paranoid about whether I'd be 'accepted' by kit car clubs, or Triumph clubs, or classic car clubs, as it falls somewhere in between all of them. And what I found. Most car people are interested in whatever you have and there are always going to be a minority who don't like it.

So now I respect that and just politely disagree with those who don't like it and move on

I remember the Eagle/Nova from when I was younger and thought it looked amazing. Now I'm older I don't think that I'd personally have one as my passions lie elsewhere (Plus my old Countach has put me off of pop-up doors for life!!) , but I still think it looks totally nuts, in a nice way!, and I hope you get it back on the road soon.

Old 3rd January 2015, 20:29

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Amen to that! The joy is in the journey, if you are enjoying it that's all that counts. My Locust has been registered since 1994 and one about 2k miles. I have spent many happy hours tinkering with it. It doesn't match many new builds but it's mine and built to the maxim, The object is no expense! It's your life live it. PS I'm near 70 too, what will I do when I grow up. dave

Last edited by Dpaz; 3rd January 2015 at 20:31.. Reason: additional words
Old 5th January 2015, 11:41

Well I have made up an album so you can see what I have achieved so far, in many cases the result of (too) many versions and modification, too many distractions and "Oh look, a butterfly".
Old 5th January 2015, 21:24

jones is on a distinguished road

I had seen one of these SS things years ago and never knew what it was i love it! And it would be sad to see these disappear. I am at the other end of the scale just into my 30's, I have done a restoration of an MGB and now doing a tribute mx250 as I have always wanted to create something for myself that i can look at regardless of others opinions and say "I did that!"

So my opinion is regardles of why you doing it and what stage of life you are in it is unique to you. Some will tinker some will be driven by setting deadlines the finish line is whatever you make it. Some just need the escapism that locking yourself away in the garsge can provide... but it is sad thst some will never see the initial dream come to fruition.

I just hope i started early enough to give myself half a chance of completing it