Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 4th August 2013, 18:17
Enthusiast

MadDogMoggy is on a distinguished road
Default Hoodwinked

Just started fitting the hood today.

Had to play with the capping to get enough clearance but that's sorted now. Just need a little help with a few details:

1. The hood as an obvious edge with a seem about 20mm in from the edge. On the sides does this tuck under so that the fasteners down the side can be accessed from inside the car or do they just lie flat?

2. If they lie flat with the fasteners 'outside' the car is it easy enough to un-fasten them with the zip undone?

3. At the back of the car does the hood pull straight down over the roll bar or does it angle back a bit?

4. What fasteners have people used around the various parts of the hood?

Thanks. (Any photos would be greatly appreciated - I see Limpabit has posted a couple but more would be helpful if anyone has some or a link to a build site)
Available from eBay
Old 5th August 2013, 20:33
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Wink

Sorry Tim, managed without the roof for 7 years now.... so can, t really help on fitting!
Old 10th August 2013, 09:07
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

Tim Hi

I fitted the 5Exi hood recently and can answer most of you questions.

1) they lay flat not sure how that would fit any other way to be right.

2) once the zipper is undone its all accessible from inside

3) with the front tucked under the screen surround and pulled taught I angled mine back as far as I could for a better streamlined look from the side.

4) TANEX buttons on the side and turrets at the rear corners where you need the strength, buttons over the top at the back. In front of the rear engine grill I put turrets so that were easier to remove at full stretch without ripping at the fabric.

I have a a number of picture of my interpretation of the fit but its easier if you PM me your email and I can send them direct.

I have a couple hosted and will post them up but I have many more....

Do the fitments on a hot sunny day in the sun and the fabric is easier to stretch and manipulate. It will give a better fit and look if its good and taught.

I used chromed brass screws and SS nuts to avoid rust, you can pop rivet them in place but screws are just as easy, I did not need to fit back nuts on all the side buttons as the GRP is strong enough to be threaded (and my arms were not that long anyway). The turrets are all threaded and back nutted.

On the screen cover, over the front, make sure the backs of the two buttons fastener, whatever you use, are either not over the edge of the screen or are well protected from pressing on the glass underneath. It is reported that over zealous pressing of the screen buttons and the 'click' into place has cracked screens and that's £400 you could do without spending.

Hope that helps

JohnC

Old 10th August 2013, 11:09
Enthusiast

MadDogMoggy is on a distinguished road

Hi John,

That's brilliant - very concise and informative. Thanks for taking the time to include so much detail. I'm sure I can get on with it now.

Thanks again
Tim
Old 10th August 2013, 15:58
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi guys.

I had to change my windscreen and surround. I just tuck mine in around the surround now without the fasteners. Done the job when needed. Rest of the hood keeps in place as very tight fitting.

Marlin fitted my hood so no idea about fitting.
Old 11th August 2013, 20:43
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

You're welcome to take a look at my car's hood fit if it helps.
Old 12th August 2013, 16:21
Enthusiast

EXI Turbo is on a distinguished road

Hi the hood I received fitted a little differently to everyone else's at the back. If you also have the latest version do not be surprised if the poppers shown in the pictures in this post don't make sense. It confused me when I started to fit it.

Mine does not fit across the rear in a straight line but each side stretches towards the rear of the car in a triangular shape. The centre section with the rear window can be rolled up and clipped to the roll bar or poppered down depending on the weather/amount of noise you want in the cabin.