Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 14th July 2011, 14:49

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU ....We aren't the first to 'discover' the Merits of the Scim ...maybe the first to leave the chassis totally stock - not sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
...um, anyone know anyone who could re-body an SE5 for me please...

UM....Yes ....give me a call , we are very busy but an ex-employee of mine has set up shop in Newbury and is more than capable...
Old 14th July 2011, 22:58

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your kind comment. Will give you a call once I have obtained a suitable donor (probably September).

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the finished prototype and wonder if you plan to create a 'walk through' of how to put one together; similar to your picture spread on the Spyder build (when time permits!)

Cheers.

Last edited by Nike55; 16th August 2012 at 19:32.. Reason: Non given
Old 15th July 2011, 09:33

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I saw the updated photos on the web site and it's all looking very nice!

I must make sure that i have a good nosey when i'm down next Wed, although i think i'll leave my wallet in the van as i've promised the wife that once the Spyder is on the road in a few week i'll do a few more family things before i even start considering another project
Old 17th July 2011, 16:53

Whilst reading back through this thread , I realised that I hadn't put a picture of the stripped out donor car on...

Its different to the original Sammio - this time we use bulkhead , floor and inner arches , inner cills etc...the new body bonding to the original with a smaller steel hoop frame...

Old 18th July 2011, 13:43

garyh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up That does look a big ol' car?

I guess this will shift a bit...
Old 18th July 2011, 19:56

3.0 V6 / Manual.....not too shoddy ....about the equivalent BHP wise as an MX5 , but with a nice little burble coming from the exhaust......
Old 18th July 2011, 21:47

samwise is on a distinguished road

For years an Se5 has decorated our drive and now just as it's time for her overhaul to become roadworthy again, my old man showed me this Sammio Project. I'll join the queue for a kit!

Thanks for the fast response email Gary.
Old 18th July 2011, 21:47

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default We all want a 'burble'

Are there any other cars that you think could be used? my brother really likes the cars you're building but worries about the age of the Herald.
Gary.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:53

Rolled the car outside today.....had to get a car out to go to the trimmers and workshop was in desperate need of a sweep out !

took these pics....

should finish shaping up in next week or so ..then start the moulding process....first body out wil be modified and remoulded in places to create bonnet apertures , lights etc...I will probably keep that one as not really going to be ideal to sell as a new body. inbetween all this a rear end will be sorted for Roadster on here...first official complete new one goes to Patrice in France , then we have a Dutch one to sort out ( LHD , I think ) after that , ???

Last edited by lancelot link; 28th July 2011 at 20:56..
Old 28th July 2011, 22:40

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Looks better outside - i wish i had been there so i could have walked around it.
Did you get my email? Do you think it will be ready to collect on the 30th August.
Old 29th July 2011, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Looks better outside - i wish i had been there so i could have walked around it.
Did you get my email? Do you think it will be ready to collect on the 30th August.
Yes Mate , got it ...don't foresee a problem at this stage ....Mikes on the ol' gal again today and next week - so things are moving along..

Oh , by the way ....when you left last time , we noticed a huge amount of dust had gone missing ...Mike thinks he saw most of it attached to your jacket and trousers ....thats development dust and highly significant , a crucial part of keeping our workshop looking like a sh*thole....could you return it on your next visit please !!!
Old 7th August 2011, 06:53

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Hows she going Garry?
Almost ready to start laying up the moulds yet.
Old 7th August 2011, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise View Post
For years an Se5 has decorated our drive and now just as it's time for her overhaul to become roadworthy again, my old man showed me this Sammio Project. I'll join the queue for a kit!

Thanks for the fast response email Gary.
No worries.....we are trying like mad to get this ready asap....

not long now.....
Old 7th August 2011, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Are there any other cars that you think could be used? my brother really likes the cars you're building but worries about the age of the Herald.
Gary.
Not sure why he's worrying about the Heralds age in a Scimitar based thread ! LOL....

The donors are classics in their own right for various reasons....seperate chassis , tax exemption , cheap donors , non SVA etc. but that doesn't mean you are totally restricted to them as the donor....We supply an outer skin style bodyshell that can be fitted to any chassis that is dimensionally correct - in other words , pick a set of running gear that will work , trackwise , height etc and you , or someone , can make a spaceframe or box style chassis to suit.
We have a background in box or ladder style chassis , similar to the classic versions under various seperate bodied cars ...Ford Pops etc...so we could build a chassis in that style with bulkhead hoops etc to fit the bodies ...very similar to a Sammio Spyder format...Spaceframes isn't my field really but , depending on your location , I can point you in the right direction...

The Spyder body is a tricky one to find alternative donor running gear for as it has a fairly narrow track ....we are working on a wider version to accept MX5 drivetrain , so that may be an option.
Our 550 really needs to be rear engined , but again , a new chassis and virtually every new bit you could want for a Beetle , is available aftermarket ...so building new is an option there...

The G-46 is a 99' wheelbased , 5.5' tracked car ....so no obvious donors except the MX5 again that will fit trackwise but need a stretched wheelbase - pretty simple as they have a front and rear subframe style under carriage.

An MX5 powered G-46 could be a great car ......food for thought.
Old 15th September 2011, 22:09

Slow progress on this one whilst the German Cousin dominated things here for a while - but we are back.....

We need to get the G-46 to Exeter , would be disasterous if it doesn't make it , so things are starting to move again....

Mike is chucking the filler about again !! Would you believe there is about 30 tins of no.7 slop in this beast so far....thats on top of the foam , paste , hardboard etc....

We have moulded the doors ( 4'' lengthened Porsche 550 doors ) and they are ready to go ....body flanging starts next week....

Some pics of progress.....

Old 15th September 2011, 22:26

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

This is really looking an impressive beast - it will have great presence on the road.

It will look brilliant in BRG with brown leather trim, or Italian Racing Red and black trim or SLR Silver with red trim (& twin headrests, chip grater grill...) ...or Squadron Blue or....

Keep up the good work.
Old 30th September 2011, 20:35

My friend , Chris Welch , the guy who had the issues with the Supra based B*ntley styled car this year , has done this little rendition for me in exchange for lending him an MX5 to get all creative with !

Gives people an idea of what direction I am going in with this one ....
Old 30th September 2011, 20:56

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yep, can see where you're going with this one, Gary.

Just needs twin head fairings, silver paint and a big three pointed star in the grille and it's instant Merc SLR at 1/100th of the price.

I do like the powder blue paint, too. Not brave enough to deviate from red, black or silver for my own pride 'n' joy, however.

Old 12th October 2011, 12:33

Some update pics of the current state of play.....starting to panic about Exeter now ! ....I think we will have an outer skin body with seperate doors sat on a partially stripped Scimitar to show people - should be enough for those that 'get it'

Old 12th October 2011, 13:21

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road
Default Nipple

Whats happening in pic 3