Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 25th October 2012, 18:32

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

It's Sea Green, not Pea Green!
Old 26th October 2012, 09:46

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

It's Sea Green, not Pea Green!

If you Sea Green that is fine, if you Pea Green then go to the Doctor ;-)
Old 28th October 2012, 14:01

garyh is on a distinguished road

Ox, where do you put bodywork? I have the front end in the eaves but have to put the tub on top of chassis when packing up. I will have to wrap tub and leave outside on patio. Have been painting today.
Old 28th October 2012, 16:04

Gary, I have the main body tub suspended "upside down" from the eaves. This creates a natural cradle in which to store the bonnet. I've used plenty of straps so that the tub retains its shape and doesn't twist.

I think this pic shows it best.

Old 29th October 2012, 07:32

Be careful about the bonnet and body changing shape while stored. Mine has been sat in the garage since my accident with the bonnet resting on top at the back.
Over the weekend I had some friend help move in out of the garage and under a tarpaulin to free up some space. We went to put the bonnet into place so they could see what it would look like and it didn't fit.
The sides had been pushed out at the curve across the width of the bonnet was very different to the bulkhead it was meant to sit on. A bit of swearing a few screws and some gentle pursuasion got it back into shape but that was after just four weeks being stored in the garage.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:43

Thanks for the warning WCA. I am expecting some shape change but I don't have any other storage options.

I am "planning" to have a detachable rear end (cut along the line of the back of the cockpit). The rear section will be mounted on a lightweight tubular frame that bolts to the main frame (or uses 4 large pip pins to keep it in place). I am also "planning" half-doors very similar to the ones that MoriniMan described recently. They may hinge at the bottom or the top front. There will also be a boot panel and possibly a "Dutch bonnet" panel within the main flip front.

Dividing the main section in two should give me more capacity to shape things......or it may compound any problems. We shall see.

The reason behind the plan for the removable rear is access. I love working on cars where access is good (think Formula Ford without the bodywork) and I hate working on cars when you have to suspend yourself upside in the engine bay whilst trying to get a double UJ socket drive on a recessed nut whilst being burnt by the exhaust manifold (think all modern cars). If I want to work on the rear suspension, brakes, diff, fuel tank etc., then I want to enjoy it.

I plan to keep the car until I die, so I may as well get it how I want it.

The first car that I built (~25 years ago!!!) can be seen below and we regretted not putting a flip-front on it.

As a point of interest, that UVA M6 kit cost £17k+ in 1988. Please note, I did not fund it. With a nice Rover V8 and Renault transaxle plus all the extra kit and trim, it cost the best part of £25k to complete. It was stunning, sounded great, handled quite well, and we took it to Paris and Le Mans without any problems, but did I ever really fall for it? No. Whereas my little Sammio.............that's true love.

Last edited by oxford1360; 29th October 2012 at 12:27..
Old 29th October 2012, 17:21

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
With a nice Rover V8 and Renault transaxle
'Nice' and 'Rover V8' is an Oxymoron!

I'm with Lee Noble. The V6 engine that comes free with the transaxle is much better. Bob Light used to blow at least two Rovers per season and the Essex V6 never seemed to be working right. If you raid the PRV parts bin it's possible to built a 3 litre 24 valve version with an easy 250bhp.
Old 29th October 2012, 18:30

Each to his own. I'm not sure what some forum members have been eating over the weekend, but I'm glad I didn't have any.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:37

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... I am "planning" to have a detachable rear end (cut along the line of the back of the cockpit). The rear section will be mounted on a lightweight tubular frame that bolts to the main frame (or uses 4 large pip pins to keep it in place). I am also "planning" half-doors very similar to the ones that MoriniMan described recently. They may hinge at the bottom or the top front. There will also be a boot panel and possibly a "Dutch bonnet" panel within the main flip front...
That is going to be very impressive when it is completed.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 30th October 2012, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
That is going to be very impressive when it is completed.

Good luck, Paul.
Thanks, Paul. As I said, that is the "plan". We shall see whether I go through with it!
Old 30th October 2012, 16:47

Default Spring is here

Another irritating picture of green bits. But, it is evidence of progress. All suspension is now ready. I just wish I had stripped the steering rack for refurbishing sooner. I need to get it cleaned, primed and sprayed before it gets cold. Perhaps I will have to admit defeat and get a heater down at The Glade.

Old 30th October 2012, 20:01

davecymru is on a distinguished road

ok, i admit it, I've been humming Kermit the frogs "it's not easy being green" while I've been reading your recent updates. sorry....

Old 30th October 2012, 20:34

If anybody asks the colour I do use Kermit as a reference. It is more meaningful than BS318 217C.
Old 31st October 2012, 05:45

Alpha is on a distinguished road

Why is everyone knocking the colour? I think it is a very pretty, typically 1950'ies shade - the car will look great in it!

Definitely more interesting than the ubiquitous BRG or red...

Baz from Brussels
Old 31st October 2012, 06:20

Over spray on the wheel and tyre!

Good work other than that.

Don't worry about people mocking the colour, i am sure it will look great when you have finished
Old 31st October 2012, 09:02

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Fantastic colour....loving it...

I had a 56 Chevy years ago in dark green and pale green two tone , it looked fantastic....very period colour....

The pale green on the Figaro's is a nice colour for using as well....

I had an M6 kit years ago as well......about 1990 ...It was a Manta Montage , had the renault V6 in it , modified Beetle floorpan etc....great car to look at , absolute a*sehole to drive though....I was a lot younger , slimmer and fitter back then and could barely get in and out of it without making a tit of myself....

Mine was the car that was imported and built in the magazines in the 80's ..I bought it about 1989 in bits and put it back together again....paid about 2000 from memory and sold it finished for about 4000

I'll post a picture when I find one out....
Old 31st October 2012, 12:52

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Fantastic colour....loving it...

The pale green on the Figaro's is a nice colour for using as well....
I think it's going to look stunning too, despite asking about the owl and the pussy cat thing.

Nissan do some nice fifties inspired colours, I had the 'Vanilla' shade they offered on the Micra on my short-list for a while until my favourite, silver, won the contest.

And am I the only straight chap in the Universe that actually likes the Figaro?
Old 31st October 2012, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
And am I the only straight chap in the Universe that actually likes the Figaro?
No, there are at least two of us. I love the shape and the original colour schemes. I very nearly went for a set of Figaro gauges when I was toying with black on white - two neat dials with all gauges in-built. They are a little bit pricey but I expect a bargain could be found.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NI...item3ccbe01371
Old 31st October 2012, 13:08

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, there are at least two of us. I love the shape and the original colour schemes. I very nearly went for a set of Figaro gauges when I was toying with black on white - two neat dials with all gauges in-built. They are a little bit pricey but I expect a bargain could be found.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NI...item3ccbe01371
That's lovely and a bargain. Could it be made to work on a Sammio?

Oh, and it's nice to know I'm not the only big, burly chap that likes ridiculous, camp cars. If you look at some of my pictures you'll see my wife's Micra in the background. I actually bought that new for myself in 2007 and I looked liked Mr Incredible in it. I loved it though, but my wife asked to borrow the keys, and before I knew what was happening, her private reg appeared on it and I found myself driving her Merc (which I hated).

Last edited by Mister Towed; 31st October 2012 at 13:14..
Old 31st October 2012, 13:15

I would have thought so. I think I am going to get a set of Mazda MX5 internals to work (all tests have been positive so far). I have made life easy by going for an MX5 tank and sender, and I am using an MX5 VDO sender for oil pressure (which fits to the Triumph block via a simple thread converter). The temp gauge works with the Triumph sender and the tacho works as you would expect. The biggest challenge was going to be the speedo cable drive, but I have joined the two outers by way of a short tube so that a Mazda end attaches to the speedo, and a Triumph end attaches to the gearbox. The MX5 inner works a treat and fits the drive in the gearbox.
I'm sure the same could be done on a Figaro.

Of course, this has all been done on the bench.........but it will work on the road........probably.