Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd October 2012, 14:46

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road
Default Learned views please

My current 13/60 engine is the one that is identified on my V5. I have a "brand new" 13/60 engine that has the same number prefix.

I was wondering whether installing the new engine and informing Swansea might count against me at inspection time, i.e. I'm sure that there will be some note on the V5 that says the engine has been changed. I was, therefore, thinking about having the inspection with the original engine in place, and then installing the new engine and notifying afterwards.

I tried to ring Peterborough DVLA but without a direct dial number you get put through to Swansea. The person that I spoke to said that as it is a "like for like" swap (which it is), all I have to do is complete the box on the V5 and send it in and it will not be a problem during the inspection.

Does anybody have any horror stories that should make me doubt her? Or, gentle reassurance that means that I can just get on with it. I would prefer the latter.

Micha, I'd love to know what Nordrhein-Westfalen Vehicle Licensing Office would have to say. Actually, I know what they would, say. "Nein!"
Available from eBay
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:54

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Hi, At the time of DVLA inspection, my Spyder had a different engine number on it than the V5 indicated. There were no problems with this. dependent on how much time you have before inspection, you could send the Herald V5 off with the new engine number and do a straight 'rebody' inspection with all numbers tallying but if not, I don't think you would encounter any problems.
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
Hi, At the time of DVLA inspection, my Spyder had a different engine number on it than the V5 indicated. There were no problems with this. dependent on how much time you have before inspection, you could send the Herald V5 off with the new engine number and do a straight 'rebody' inspection with all numbers tallying but if not, I don't think you would encounter any problems.
I like that kind of reply. I won't be going for inspection for another year so I think I shall send off the V5 tomorrow! Thanks, Andy.
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:37

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road
Talking

Your option of notifying Swansea and changing the log book first should be fine, my Herald has had a swap in its lifetime and now has a Spitfire Engine (car not plane), no problem. to be honest they never even looked at this detail..
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:44

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Same here but to an even more extreme level. My car 'was' a 13/60 but upgraded to a vitesse along with 2L engine swap back "in the day", but as all of the paperwork had been updated correctly I had no problems at all with the rebody inspection.

So I'd say go for it and do it now, get the paperwork updated and in place before the rebody inspection and you'll be fine.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:30

Default A little box

Talk of the engine had an effect and I couldn't help sneaking a peek in the crate. I need to bolt on the head and ancillaries. That's what winters are for.

It came as relief that there was something in the box. I would have been pretty disappointed if it had been a bag of nuts and bolts. Normal people would have checked it on receipt.
Old 24th October 2012, 09:34

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

You might get a change through without question, however in theory an engine change requires documentary evidence. Many many people have had problems with this as you'll be able to see if you type 'DVLA engine change' into a search engine.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...idence-to-give

The system ignores the reality of people changing engines themselves, quite often using one they've had for years under the bench. It also ignores the historical fact that with no real incentive to actually tell the DVLA (engine number not checked at MOT), often no record of the change has ever been made.

One additional way is if you know the registration of the vehicle the engine came from and that vehicle is still registered. You can provide the reg and engine number and the DVLA can simply look it up.

Some offices insist that 'headed paper' be from a VAT registered business. In reality most MOT stations will produce the 'evidence' for a small fee.

Your registration document should correctly record your vehicle details or your insurance may be invalid. If you've bored and/or stroked an engine then trying to get the DVLA to accept the actually capacity can be pretty much impossible. Good insurance companies will accept that the V5C doesn't match provided you tell them about it.
Old 24th October 2012, 09:43

Thanks Morini. I'm hoping that the fact that DVLA uses the term "You might need to give DVLA evidence" is a way of giving them permission to get awkward if they wish. The verbal advice from DVLA was that as it is "like for like" - even the prefix is the same, GE - then there shouldn't be any need.

I shall bear all of the above in mind and take the risk. I do own the original engine, but the new one came from GA Classic Engines / Newark Engines just before the owner died last year. I believe that his family decided to liquidate the company rather than selling it as a going concern, hence trying to track down anything now would be futile.

Case closed. Only to be reopened if I encounter a problem...........

Thanks for input, guys.