Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 13th August 2004, 15:23
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about a 5exi

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a kit car to build next year, that is when I can get a builder to build me a garage!

I have been looking at going the usual route of a seven type such as a Westfield or Tiger. That is until my wife and I visited Stonleigh back in May. My better half took one look at the Marlin 5exi and literaly fell in love. After some time now I am coming round to the fact that it might not be a bad idea after all.
What attracts me to it is:
1. It is not just another 'Seven'.
2. The use of the Rover 200/25. I like the 'K' series engine, specifically the high power to cc/weight.
3. It looks sexy (well according to my wife).

Now the questions.

At stonleigh we kind of thought it had doors. It is only since that I have found out that you have to 'get your leg over'.

1. How easy is it to get in and out? Also how do you get in or out when the soft top is attached?

2. Do Marlin cars allow test drives and if so do you have to get insurance or are the cars insured any driver (got a company car so therefore no independant insurance). What days are they available for test drives. I realise that I should perhaps ask Marlin this question.

3. How easy is the 5exi to build. I did a mechanical engineering apprenticeship 20 odd years ago but have been desk/car bound ever since. I rebuilt car engines in my youth (car and bikes), so have a little mechanical knowledge. Is this enough? or is this build aimed at the more mechanicaly experienced/gifted and should I look at something easier?

4. I was thinking that the best donor would be a 200 vvi anyone else using this one?

A lot of questions from a newbie, but if any one can help I would much appreciate it.

Regards

Mike
Available from eBay
Old 13th August 2004, 18:46
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum mike,
I'm half way through my build and so far haven't had any major problems. I think it will be as easy to build as any seven. I intend to use mine daily when it's built because it is fairly practical but time and use will tell. I've driven the demonstrator and was very impressed with the ride quality and very little wind in the cabin. The access for any maintenance work with the removable front and rear body sections is superb. I would contact Marlin for a test drive before you make a decision, they are very nice people to deal with. hth. Brian.
Old 13th August 2004, 19:46
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,

Welcome!

My background is in computers and therefore I had no mechanical knowledge prior to starting the build.

I am nearing completion now which proves that anyone can do it!

I found it straight forward to build (considering that I had no idea what I was doing) and great fun...

have a go in Marlin's demo car and I'm sure you'll get your cheque book out...

Dylan
Old 14th August 2004, 23:30
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike

Getting in and out is fine (unless you or your wife are about 4') but wearing a skirt is a no no (your wife)

The soft top makes very little difference as it opens over the roof and is easy to close once in.

The donor your are thinking of would have been my ideal car.
Old 18th August 2004, 17:52
Enthusiast

Thank you gentlemen for your helpful replies. i have been in touch with Marlin Cars and will be arranging a test drive for the next month.

Mike
Old 18th August 2004, 20:50
Enthusiast

Mike

If you are going to Donnington, they are giving passenger rides around the track. You'll have to contact Marlin to ensure they can fit you in, but I reckon it'll be a good experience.
Old 16th September 2004, 11:05
Enthusiast

Thank you folks for all your replies and helpful advice. My wife and I visited Marlin cars this week and met Terry (avec support superstructure) and Mark Mathews.
Mark took us out (individually of course) for a test drive. To say that I am impressed would be something of an understatement.
Nice thing was we tried the car with the hood up to begin with and then with it completely removed.
Now the car is better naked without hood, but three things I noticed:
1). The hood looks a hundred times better in the flesh.
2). It is still easy to get in and out of the car with the hood up.
3). The pneumatic tensioning bladder used really works. No drumming or flapping noises even at high speed. Engine noise is more obtrusive however Mark said that you can blank off the intake ducts at the back of the head rests when building which significantly reduces the noise.

I won’t go in to detail as to what we liked about the car as I would be preaching to the converted as you guys have already bought one.

However I will say that all of this is against a backdrop in so much as the previous day we had tested for two hours (by ourselves) a 200BHP Seven-type car by another manufacturer (not that far a way from Marlin - guess which?).
Which even though it was a brilliantly designed and constructed car and the people there were wonderful and a very professional. It just proved to us that this type of car is not for us. Not yet anyhow. If we were ever to go down the Seven route in a few years time, then that would certainly be the company for me.

The end result is that we will be placing our order for a 5exi at the end of the year, with a view to start building spring next year.
At which point I will then no doubt be bombarding this BB with a million questions.

Anyone know where I can find a mechanically sound but wrecked (body) R200 vi or BRM or MGZR160? Oh yeah they got to be cheap .

Regards

MikeN
Old 16th September 2004, 11:07
Enthusiast

'obtrusive' read intrusive.

MikeN
Old 16th September 2004, 13:35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN
The end result is that we will be placing our order for a 5exi at the end of the year, with a view to start building spring next year.
At which point I will then no doubt be bombarding this BB with a million questions.

Anyone know where I can find a mechanically sound but wrecked (body) R200 vi or BRM or MGZR160? Oh yeah they got to be cheap .

Regards

MikeN
Could I recommend starting in the winter so you will hopefully have the car ready for the spring / summer?

Excellent choice for donor, if you find one I'll fight you for it

More seriously, you might want to talk to a couple of Rover breakers (I forget the names, but they regularly adertise in Kit Car etc). They will normally offer you a guarantee with your engine and supply everything you need as per the Marlin spec.