Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 9th August 2005, 17:53

Bennyh is on a distinguished road
Default Wireing Problems, need help!!!

Greetings all.
I am having a few problems with the wireing on my 5exi. I have phoned marlin but as simon is off work with a broken arm they can not help.

1 When I have looked in my haynes manual I can see that a lot of the cars functions are activated by relays but these are not in the marlin wiring loom and I can only assume that they have either wired them throught the switches ( this could lead to reliaibility problems as they where not designed for this) or they have put the relays in but I cant see the wiring to support this.

2 The other thing I have seen in the haynes manual is all the cars systems are fused eg, wipers, indercators, heater ect but the marlin loom does not seem to accomidate this. I am not sure if I should put in a second fuse box. what has everyone else done?

3 How has everyone else wired in the 5as box? In the haynes manual some of the systems eg starter relay are earthed through the imobilizer is this the 5as box and how is it done?

All these problem are really getting me down as I want to start my car. Any help would be most appreciated. also is there anyone else in west london building a car that I might be able to meet up with.

Many Thanks and I hope everyone else is progressing well.
Benny
Available from eBay
Old 10th August 2005, 06:46
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Benny.

Going by your comments I'm assuming your going for a K series 5EXI. what are the relays you need to know? There is a relay already on the wiring loom (I think this for the cooling fan). There is a spare space for another relay (I think for hazards). You will need to get a intermittent relay for the wipers. If you check the posts in the forum you will find the details for this.
If your talking about the starter , etc relays, then I'm not too sure. but I can tell you how I did mine for the turbo. The turbo does not have the 5AS unit. What I did was cut off the two engine wiring loom connectors and marry up the engine loom, 4 relay box from a 216 bubble and the marlin loom (still on going by the way).

I thought the same was you re the fuses. But assumed if needed Marlin would have implemented them into the fuse box ansd another fuse box.

Sorry can't help with the 5AS.
Old 10th August 2005, 07:37
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Very interested in the replies on this subject, especially the 5as box as without the Marlin additional loom, they cannot offer any help.
Old 10th August 2005, 18:35
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default wiring

Hi Benny,
you are right about relays, you must use them to reduce current through switch contacts and wiring. The Rover uses them for just about everything.
All the circuits should be fused iether independently or grouped, most cars these days only have a couple of items per fuse, the old mini only had two fuses for the whole car.
I did not need the 5as box in my build but I thought Marlin did an extra loom for it which might make things easier for you. The 5as box cuts starter,fuel and spark by the way. hth Brian.
Old 11th August 2005, 17:29
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default 5as

I have just received e.mail from Marlin with 5as wiring instructions, is it a coincidence or are they checking the forum. Brian.
Old 11th August 2005, 21:50

Bennyh is on a distinguished road

I spoke to simon the other night, he wrote the 5as instructions and when I asked terry for a copy she said she was going to send them to everyone. Simon said to me that the switches can handle the current and marlin have not had a problem with any of the cars they have built. I am still unsure about the whole fusing sineario but I think I might fuse everything anyway, just to be safe. I would rather blow a couple of fuse's than send my whole loom up in smoke.

I Think I might need a relay for the main/diped beam. There is one in he haynes manual and i cant see how you can get away with out it.(The switch in my car does not latch from one to the other, is this just me, it might be broken).

Thanks for the reply's I will keep everone posted on how I progress this weekend. I really want to get it started.

Hope everyone else has a good one!!

Benny h
Old 15th August 2005, 11:59
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Benny,

I fused each main circuit. I used the Rover RAVE CD-Rom electrical circuit diagrams, and they proved invaluable! If you don't have this CD then send me you're address via PM and i'll post one out to you...

Rover use a lot of relays, but you should only need one or two (starter motor and fan)...

I bought an extra fuse box and mounted that up front on the driver's side.

I'm building a T16 turbo version, and wired mine from scratch (to learn).
I've just about finished...at long last.

You'll also need a Hazard Warning Switch and Indicator Relays (get these from Vehicle Wiring Products) and an Intermittent Wiper Relay (see other posts).

Have you sorted the front lights main and dipped beam yet? I did not use a relay or dim/dip resistor and it all works fine on my angel eye headlights.

HTH,

John
MarlinTurbo