Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 10th February 2019, 12:44

Jeff H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Starting with a straight car that needs little more than rubbing down prior to paint has got to be a big bonus. Hours spent re shaping a wonky body in sweaty fibre glass isn't for the faint hearted. The Formosa body looks like a quality moulding with minimal prep time involved and is a credit to the laminators. I would suggest 3.5k is exactly the right money for a quality job !

This place does make me laugh at times,

With respect you have no idea at all what prep went in to Alex's car, I wont do another one that cheap but to be fair it was the 1st one out the moulds and we did have trouble getting the doors to fit, from memory we had to drop the lower door shut down on both sides.

The bonnet was also a bit of a faff to get right, all of this has now been resolved by Gary and I am confident to do another would be a lot quicker.

I really don't want to get in to another debate about paint and costings, I do know Gary gets them done a lot cheaper than I would charge but I am not interested in a race to the bottom price wise.

[I
MG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2ahut82.jpg[/IMG]

These pics show some of the work involved on the car, it was primed and blocked twice and of course all that masking you see was also done twice, it was fully masked underneath to keep any over spray off the mint chassis that Alex paid to have done.

Please don't think this is a pop at you because it really isn't it is just frustrating at times that there seem to be so many "internet experts" about regarding this subject.
Old 10th February 2019, 13:08

smash is on a distinguished road

Didn't you paint it Jeff? Lol!

*EDIT* You posted just before I hit reply
Old 10th February 2019, 14:17

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I don't imply that I'm an "expert", we all know what one of those is !

All I was saying is that the Formosa body is good out the mould. The fact that a coloured gel coat is offered and would be acceptable to many simply polished up and not painted.

I know you are a perfectionist Jeff and you can see faults where others don't. Your own SWB was a good example, the final finish looked superb to me but you were never happy with it. You are lucky to have the skills to go the next level and achieve such high standards.
Old 10th February 2019, 14:24

Jeff H is on a distinguished road

Hey Paul,

I think it was the Minimal prep comment that triggered me lol.

And yes I wont cut corners or work down to a price, my old Man taught me to do it once and do it right.

Your car is looking great by the way, very impressive build.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:57

Dale j is on a distinguished road

Hi as you are all on about painting. can any one give me a good paint suppler for my Formosa I need high build primer and paint.prep and painting and buffing and polishing is not a problem, I am about 6 weeks away from starting thanks Dale
Old 11th February 2019, 17:10

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I use cellulose from Jawel Paints and have had very pleasing results as a total amateur sprayer using very basic equipment -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cellulose...G98:rk:17:pf:0

Other colours are available...

Jawel recommended giving the fibreglass shell a coat of etch primer before the high-build primer goes on. That's what I did and I had no problems with adhesion or cracking in the four years that I had the car on the road, but I believe a professional sprayer may tell you that the etch primer isn't necessary.

What colour are you going for?

Last edited by Mister Towed; 11th February 2019 at 17:10.. Reason: Photobucket witholding images?
Old 11th February 2019, 18:17

Thanks for that. I think it is going to be red or blue ?.the last time I painted a car was 22 years ago with 2 pack and still looks good as I still have it. I spent 10 year in the aviation painting aircraft shooting 50 ltr at a time on A 321 so painting and finishing not a problem
Old 11th February 2019, 18:37

Ahh, a pro then.

One thing I have noticed with fibreglass cars is that a fair number of people who've had their cars sprayed with two-pack have reported cracking on areas that are subject to stress where cellulose would've just flexed with the panel.

Horses for courses I guess.
Old 11th February 2019, 18:46

Not a pro self taught. just to tight to pay for a paint job. I am a coachbuilder by profession old school ie English rollers hammers and dollies lead filling stuff like that, not a big call for that sort of work in Norfolk
Old 11th February 2019, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale j View Post
Not a pro self taught. just to tight to pay for a paint job. I am a coachbuilder by profession old school ie English rollers hammers and dollies lead filling stuff like that, not a big call for that sort of work in Norfolk
Sounds like you really know your way around bodywork then so it'll be interesting to see how your Formosa progresses.

Don't mean to state the bleedin' obvious, but Lotus HQ is in Norfolk. I suppose they've outsourced/computerised all their model development though.

I'm in Norfolk too, as are Phil J and Barry May, so if you ever need anyone to come and drink your tea while watching you work just PM us
Old 11th February 2019, 19:42

sounds like a plan, I live right on the coast near Cromer,i have sent Gary some update pictures he will put them on for me when he has time.my car is going to have a full leather interior. the engine has been upgraded oil cooler lec fuel pump 1850 triumph dolomite sprint gearbox with overdrive ported and a bigger cam
Old 11th February 2019, 21:15

Upgrades sound pretty good and should make for a lively car. I'm out West near King's Lynn but only an hour's drive from Cromer.

Once you're roadworthy we'll have to arrange a road trip along the North Norfolk coast with a brace of Sammio Spyders and my 356 Outlaw (assuming I ever finish it).

If the Outlaw isn't ready I'll just tag along in my Midget or the complete wreck of a Mk2 Spitfire I just bought if I finish that first...
Old 11th February 2019, 22:26

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
sounds like a plan, I live right on the coast near Cromer,i have sent Gary some update pictures he will put them on for me when he has time.my car is going to have a full leather interior. the engine has been upgraded oil cooler lec fuel pump 1850 triumph dolomite sprint gearbox with overdrive ported and a bigger cam
Spent a lot of time around Cromer, the Mrs and here family lived in Mundesley until a few years ago. Nice part of the world !
Old 11th February 2019, 22:42

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately , it is a fact that if you want a show winning finish on your fibreglass body , then regardless of how well it has been moulded , it will inevitably need a skim of filler to take the shimmer etc out of it ...regardless of initial purchase price ...

http://mirageautomotive.co.uk/mirage...ody-finishing/

Having said that , a decent looking car can be achieved with less work ...Bisto34 doesn't try and iron out every issue with his S*mmio builds and the finish work he has done on a couple of Formosa's but they are still credible and good looking cars .......

''You pays ya money and makes your choice ...''

Last edited by lancelot link; 11th February 2019 at 22:45..
Old 12th February 2019, 08:51

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Cellulose Paint Factor

Quote:
Hi as you are all on about painting. can any one give me a good paint suppler for my Formosa I need high build primer and paint.prep and painting and buffing and polishing is not a problem, I am about 6 weeks away from starting thanks Dale
These have supplied my needs for my Marlin, the A352, and now the Monaco. Good service and price.

Regards, Mick
Old 12th February 2019, 10:20

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi as you are all on about painting. can any one give me a good paint suppler for my Formosa I need high build primer and paint.
I get 2K from Trade-car-paints
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2k-Acrylic-Paint-Direct-Gloss-ANY-COLOUR-OF-YOUR-CHOICE-MIXED-5-Litre/180309679086?hash=item29fb4b5bee:g:Ud0AAOSwX6Rb7Ep j:rk:7f:0
(I think they are another name for Jawel)
They will mix up a colour for you provided you have the paint code.
They also sell 2K high build primer.
Old 12th February 2019, 10:21

Thanks for that Mick. looking at the car I do not think it will need loads of prep I am not looking for a show job just to say I did all myself and that is the best I can do. and just drive it like I Stoll it ?
Old 12th February 2019, 14:38

Thanks Neil. just the colour to decide on?
Old 17th February 2019, 15:19

Alex is on a distinguished road

Made the most of the sunshine today and went for a drive so stopped off for some fuel (still cant master the art of posting a picture not just an attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2835.jpg (98.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2844 copy.jpg (97.1 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2859 copy.jpg (97.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2858.jpg (99.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2840.jpg (98.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 17th February 2019, 15:55

molleur is on a distinguished road

Fantastic Alex!