Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 8th July 2015, 16:37

ned is on a distinguished road

hi 2manytoys my vents are filled with smoked perspex sealed with clear silicon with no drainage and i have not had any leaks .... the extra vision you get is good to have as there is a huge blindspot otherwise good luck with the build Ned
Old 14th July 2015, 21:54

2manytoys is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great tips, Ned. sorry slow replying, have been away (No ! not Her Majesties )
Old 14th July 2015, 22:03

2manytoys is on a distinguished road

Hi Jones, Thanks for further info , will keep an eye on your future progress. Incidentally , what part of the country do you reside in, I am in deepest, darkest Somerset in case we could see each others "work in progress"
Old 15th July 2015, 12:13

jones is on a distinguished road

2manytoys I am based in the Midlands, close to Northampton.

I am hoping if the weather improves to spend a couple of days this weekend on the car - which reminds me I must order that headlining!

Where are your updates 2manytoys we need pictures!
Old 18th August 2015, 11:16

Default Update...

...So over a month has passed and we are not that much further down the road of progress that I would have hoped for. Weekends away, entertaining the wife and a few rain stopping play scenarios I have managed to get some work done, much of it is undocumented but is simple body work initial prep I want to get it to a stage that one bonded there is just the minor amends but body symmetrical.

This past weekend however did see some chunky bits ticked off that I had put off as there was no turning back once the grinder had done its job! I decided to tackle the rear wheel arches, I wanted to look good from underneath and as professional as this amateur to make it. I worked out that to make a smooth rounded arch it needed to be 5.5cm higher so I cut at 4cm to leave enough of a lip to drill and weld. I then etch primed, and then normal primer followed by stone chip which the only can I had was white. The whole 'old' body will be painted silk black prior to the shell being bonded on.

Whilst access was so good now I decided that fitting the lowering springs was a good idea and it will give me a better idea of stance as I am not fitting hugely different circumference tyres onto the new wheels. I will also say that the car has been well maintained and everything came apart nicely and the only thing I have to do is to order some new dust covers for the shocks.

I also continued with the body prep, I will complete the near side first and then use that as a template for the offside. I will say that getting a nice crisp line on the vents has been a little time consuming but it's almost there and with one last final fill and sand prior to paint I am happy.

Not many pictures as my phone was hooked up for Spotify to the surround sound system I have installed in my garage to keep me entertained!

Old 13th September 2015, 20:59

Default Overdue updates

So I haven't posted in a while, there has been a lot of changes my end since the last post but I have managed to steal some time here and there to work on the car.

So in my haste to do some work on the car I removed the rear section... some might say a little to quickly as I had forgotten to unclip all of the rear lights and pulled most of the wires out of their respective plugs. So I had to remove all the lights and corresponding wiring loom in order to spend a whole evening soldering and repairing/replacing a number of the damaged plugs.

I have finally got around to fitting the new side repeaters although a bugger to get them symmetrical with no square line to work from! I am happy with the result and intentionally put a slight slant on them for visual preference only. I have got the front end as square as physically possible with a 5mm variance between the two sides. On the subject of lights I ordered new headlights, in the continued attempt of trying to make this car look retro I replaced the flat faced headlights for domed ones - only time will tell as to the answer of it will add to the effect but first impressions were a thumbs up from the wife!

Since the last time, I have shaped the O/S vents, a much quicker process than the other side. Both sides need trimming internally but not rushing it as I want them to be absolutely symmetrical in depth. This will make the corresponding headlining holes a lot easier to do too.

Today I re-profiled the O/S front wing panel gap to the drivers door and shaped the inner flange to prevent the door catching it as it opened. I believe the original profiles was the reason for the original damage by the door opening. I prep'd the boot extender panel ready for final fit by sanding and filling, so now if you peek in the boot it looks all square etc.

With excitement of this regained enthusiasm and determined focus I thought I would treat myself to giving a sneak peak of what it will look like. Amazing what a pane of glass will do for the effect. It was surprisingly an easy fit too so that was an added bonus. This was the only time that I stopped to take a picture.

Sooooo I have some time this week weather permitting to hopefully get the rear bonded by Friday... fingers crossed!

Last edited by jones; 14th September 2015 at 09:01..
Old 13th September 2015, 21:54

ericholm is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the continued build Jones.

Sounds like you are making good progress and will be happy to see some pictures if you get the chance. I nearly went for the kit you have so interested to see what I am missing

Edit: Haha I see the pictures now, very nice!
Old 13th September 2015, 22:57

Thanks EricHolm, it is starting to get there now a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel has appeared

I think you are actually not that far away from me, you're in the MK area? I am based up in Wellingborough if you are passing you are more than welcome to pop in and have a proper look.
Old 14th September 2015, 06:49

ericholm is on a distinguished road

Ha ha, had my first jobs in Wellingborough, and my driving test, a long time ago! Thanks for offer I'm sure we can hook up at some point.
Old 14th September 2015, 08:30

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - The rear glass does make a big difference.

Sounds like you are making lots of progress in a number of areas.

Good luck with bonding the rear section into place, Paul.

PS
A variation from square of 5mm?

So it is a symmetry issue not measured in cm, or inches?

In which case, it might be best if you don't bring a tape measure anywhere near my car.
Old 14th September 2015, 21:58

Well Paul we spoke to soon and again I was thwarted by the continual presence of precipitation, oh and a distinct lack of parts I am awaiting for from CBS...

With regards to the age old quest for symmetry and straight lines etc. I was going through some really old threads to see if I could learn from others solutions to a few questions and I came across the sneaky pictures Seanick had taken of Stirlings 250 GTO. It is one of my favourite cars:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3972

It was nice to see if you focus at the vent line they too struggled to get it perfectly straight and crisp where it blends into the body on the trailing edge... phewwww I'm not the only one and good company to be in.

The weather forecast is not looking any better for tomorrow in fact the week looks a write off for us outdoor types. Lets hope my missing package turns up at least!
Old 15th September 2015, 22:58

So today was intermittent progress to say the least.

So this morning after getting on with a few other non car related projects I jumped into the car with two of my not so recently purchased rear wheels to see a man about some tyres... we were originally going to try a number of sizes to see what fits. Turns out when I got there he'd had some further thoughts over night and met me with a plan. He has a racing Mazda kicking out over 300bhp! he runs it through his garage, he donated to the cause his less than 200 miles run tyres and they I think are perfect. We did one wheel I drove home to offer it up and yep spot on, now I only need a small spacer (20mm) as opposed to huge 38mm ones I was getting too so that's a result. (the arches sit a little further out in the pictures as not yet bonded on to the car.

*** note that the car is sat on new (albeit lowering) springs and the tank is dry as a bone so sitting very high. If this doesn't settle down then I will have to bring forward the purchase of adjustable coilovers ***

Now the rain came so I was chased inside, during which time the postman came with my missing package. This was a great timing as it contained the new H4 connectors I wanted and this could be done in the warmth and dryness of the house. After the picture was taken I taped up the wires accordingly. (I had forgotten to mention in a previous post that I had replaced the the flat faced original headlights for what I feel are more retro looking domed ones)

A pause in the rain allowed me to fit the new light and wiring.

Then the rain came again, heaver and for longer this time, so when I got back out this time there weren't any pictures to be taken just cracked on. I fitted the two new hoses for the fuel - CBS sent the wrong size but after a hell of a lot of swearing managed to get the too small breather hose on and secured the too large by a few millimetres main fuel hose attached. Then back onto sorting the one thing I have been ignoring and that was the headlining. I am having a removable headlining to give access to the heated window wiring and possible future upgrade with roof mounted lighting. I had an epiphany the night before and wanted to check that this KISS solution was feasible with a good visual outcome. Well proof will come in success or failure but only time will tell.

With all this jumping up and down I forgot to hit confirm on an Amazon order for a couple of bits to the point I realised this when I switched the computer back on and it was still on the screen asking me to confirm the delivery address! DOH! All ordered now but too late for delivery tomorrow.
Old 17th September 2015, 21:05

So today was disjointed, firstly took the front wheels to my buddy to have the new tyres fitted, unfortunately what would have been a quick 15mins round the corner ended up being 45 minutes and just one wheel to show for it. The second tyre would not pop the bead into place. We soaked it and soaped it in an attempt to fit it but alas no cigar. I left the wheel with them and headed home, my next door neighbours son was out trying to fit lowering springs on his car using a scissor jack and no stands. This was a small error on my part to give a lending hand and trolley jack etc for the cause. I stayed close and gave him a hand as and when needed but stayed well back so he could learn and have pride in doing it himself.

So I managed to get on and tackle my headlining project which I am pleased to say i have finally seen the light and it will work well I hope both in looks and serviceability.

This next bit is a public service warning... Be careful as to how you store your shell over the course of a build. as you may have seen from previous posts I tuck my car away under a tarp and tied down with ratchet straps. This in itself is not an error, however how tightly I strapped it down was, over the months this has warped the body a little out of shape. The good news after a very helpful phone conversation with Chris I went out and got some long bolts and large washers, this enabled me to gently torque them up bit by bit and pull the rear of the body back into line. Phewwwww!

no pictures today but if the weather is good tomorrow I will post some.

Last edited by jones; 17th September 2015 at 21:11..
Old 18th September 2015, 19:46

So today I had to do some actual work this morning, so I started at midday and having looked at the weather forecast of what was meant to be rainy showers off and on. First step then was to clear out some space in the garage to at least be able to get the rear section in. I was ruthless in my clear out - apparently not ruthless enough as it just looked like I moved stuff from one side to the other.

So the project for the day was to do the recessed fuel filler work and some more on the headlining.

The package I had patiently awaited for yesterday was to complete a job that lasted literally minutes. The thing was it was two specific size hole saws that I wanted and to buy them separately was over £30 at B&Q or under £10 on Amazon for a whole kit of 16 pieces - happy days. Following that I was able to offer up and double check the recess I had Blue Peter esque made earlier and pre drilled the whole for the filler neck. I then had to remove the back end, this is where I regretted using such long bolts yesterday, having jacked up and removed the rear wheels it took an age to unscrew the 4 body bolts! Removal of the rear glass followed and the back end was swiftly lifted off and placed into the prepared space in the garage. Having flipped it over I proceeded to do the glassing.

Having got the body back on the car I then re-drilled the filler neck hole by clamping a piece of wood behind for the drill bit to bite down and keep it central and proceeded to screw it down.

As you can see from the pictures it does sit low and it is a close call but just high enough to work.

Then I had to move quickly - as rain was about to stop play, AGAIN!

Last edited by jones; 18th September 2015 at 21:46..
Old 19th September 2015, 08:38

hi Jones you are making good progress now . I have just fitted rain gutters to the top edges of the door apertures on mine and blended them in . They are ally and came from Woolies and bend quite easily with a bit of heat ,if you are thinking of using them best do it now while your in primer , i will post some pics when the IT dept comes in
Old 19th September 2015, 09:45

Thanks Ned, thats exactly what I would like to do too. Seeing yours will massively help. This next week is going to be the last week for a while that I can do some work on it.
Old 19th September 2015, 13:08

swifty is on a distinguished road

Jones if you are going to bend the ally then its good to anneal the ally first, you may already be familiar with this process so ignore if you are but if not then to make it act like putty (very easy to bend in your fingers) try this.

The annealing is easy to do with an acetylene torch first light the acetylene to give a sooty flame don't use the oxygen just yet, run the sooty flame over the ally surface covering in soot but not too thick as it takes longer to burn off now turn on the oxygen to give a blue flame and run this over the sooty surface about six inches off and don't stop the flame moving as the ally will melt very quickly, once the soot has burned off the ally will be at the correct temperature for annealing which i believe to be 700 degrees which is virtually the temperature ally melts, then leave to cool to room temperature don't quench as you will undo the annealing process.

If you don't have acetylene at hand then a gas torch will do with some liquid soap smeared over the ally surface, heat the soap until it turns black at which point the ally should be at 700 degrees and the annealing process is complete and allow to cool.

Good look and i look forward to seeing the finished gutter profile.
Old 19th September 2015, 17:10

Default End result

After a lot of swearing and filler I have managed to finish both sides.

IMG-20150919-WA0008.jpg
Comes in 6Ft lengths

IMG-20150919-WA0002.jpg
I made a template of the door frame to bend it around

IMG-20150902-WA0004.jpg
Fixed it with tiger seal and counter sunk rivets

IMG-20150902-WA0003.jpg
Built up the gap with filler and finished with satin black

IMG-20150902-WA0002.jpg
Old 20th September 2015, 05:14

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - Glad to see you have made some progress despite the weather.

I will certainly be glad when my own body shell is finally bonded into position and no longer at risk of distortion/damage.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 20th September 2015, 15:31

Swifty thanks for that, going to have a bit more of a look into it once I have cut the window aperture down a bit to see what depth I have remaining.

Ned that looks great thanks for sharing, how are getting on with the headlining? you mentioned at the Stoneleigh it was on your list of jobs

Thanks Paul, I have to admit every time I think I am close I find something else on my better to do now than later list.

So no work on the car today, I'm having a day off. However thought I would post some pictures from yesterdays quite slow and frustrating day.

First off was to complete the fuel filler cap and hoses. I don't have any pictures of the doing bit - I had a few days earlier removed the the factory fitted neck flange but carefully grinding to slits down the sides followed by grinding out the spot welds to remove it. This left me with just the main pipe and breather hose section. I connected them via the appropriate hoses. I am one jubilee clip short however, I will get this on my next trip out for supplies.

I have decided to take a different approach to bonding the car and do away with the Polyester based resin and go for what should be a stronger longer lasting if not more expensive option methacrylate based adhesive. We shall see if this was the right choice in due course. The setback to this choice is that I made a stupid assumption that dual applicator guns would be readily available and didn't order it with the glue - this is not the case and had to place an order on Friday that won't be dispatched until Monday so looking at the back end of the week for bonding me thinks.

So with that in mind I looked at a few other jobs, mainly preparing the doors and removing the swage line. I found this the most frustrating task to date on the build and accumulated to make it the first non fun day on the car - removing the underseal paint on the lower half of the door. I also wanted to cover over the wing's dark etch & red primer I had used to help me see the curve of the headlight bowl better. I powdered on with the lighter grey primer to help give me a truer vision with it sitting in one colour. I still have work to do on the blending but I truly had enough at the end of teh day and didn't want to over do it and save it for another day.

So here is the the view at the end of the day.

Last edited by jones; 20th September 2015 at 15:42..