Another little job to hide the BMW origins is to replace the door mirrors. I'd bought a pair of suitable chromy round devices that looked as if I could use the original mounting holes. Correct!!!
First I removed the existing mirror which was held on by some M5 socket screws. Whilst wrapping the doors some time ago I had disconnected the electrics. I attacked the bodywork with an angle grinder to key the filler:
Then I taped over the cable hole, inserted some well greased M5 button head screws and filled the indentation with P40 Isopon- the one with glass strands embedded:
Then I used a skim of ordinary filler to bring the level up- I sanded to the contours and level of the wrap on the doors. The first layer of high-build primer is likely to be that thick anyway.
Then a temporary piece of wrap to hide the evidence:
While the filling and sanding was going on- I'd dunked the fixing brackets (mild steel !!!) in Hammerite to give the plot some longevity.
Then the time came to fit the mirror itself- result!!!
The view out the back is OK- not as wide angle as the originals but then they don't protrude as much either.
Just need another dry afternoon to fit the nearside one. Should be quicker...