Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > DNA Builds

DNA Builds DNA 250 California builds here

Old 22nd March 2016, 23:32

smash is on a distinguished road

At the time - about 10 years ago it was 4K - not sure how that equates now.

I've had kit cars all my adult life - 30 odd years. I damaged the front if my cobra towing it (I actually managed to break the output shaft on the Top loader gearbox!) Anyways I had to have the whole front painted as it was metallic red and the painter couldn't 'lose it' anywhere so painted back to doors. The colour match was very close but slightly off - it was the original AK Demo car in Which Kit and no one had any idea what the paint was. Closest match was a Renault colour. Anyway I decided to have the doors and rear end re done to match. Total cost was less than 900 in 2004. Painted on Canvey Charfleets estate by a guy named Stewart.

This is the car - the stripes are vinyl. It last changed hands through a dealer for 26K. It looked stunning.

I'm glad you're happy with a 6.5K paint job - any pics? I'd like to see what 6.5K of paint looks like

I know how much prep my Tribute Kalifornia needed because I've visited regularly to see progression - the flash lines are really bad to start with plus symmetry and alignment issues - Dax cobras always had bad flash lines too.

@Roadster - I totally rebuilt the interior of my Noble P4 (fastest car I've ever owned - over 500bhp per ton) - clad in alloy with alloy seats (recently sold for 49K - not by me!), I rebuilt the engine on my AK cobra and completely retrimmed the interior (it was horrible magnolia when I got it), I helped my brother build his Midas Gold back in the 80s. I've worked on all my kit cars - thus is the first one I've used a build agent for. I did this cos I'm 50 now, I don't have a proper garage to build in and frankly, I haven't got the time nor can I be arsed to do it. Plus the build agent has done, in my opinion, an unbeatable job at a very reasonable cost.

Last edited by smash; 23rd March 2016 at 06:43..
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:04

Kit 275GTB is on a distinguished road
Default Paint

Go on, spill the beans. Where did you get that paint job done and will they do any more at that price?
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:30

That was 2004 - 12 years ago - and he was thinking about retiring then so not sure he's still around - Google suggests he's not there any more but the unit number was 01268 511114.

If I were you I'd get Richard @ Nubodi to paint your car
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:04

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
That was 2004 - 12 years ago - and he was thinking about retiring then so not sure he's still around - Google suggests he's not there any more but the unit number was 01268 511114.

If I were you I'd get Richard @ Nubodi to paint your car
I didn't think Nubodi had a paint shop they farm the work out.
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:02

tricky360 is on a distinguished road

What prices are you paying nubodi for strip down., body fit and align , and paint then ?
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:26

Obviously sensitive to my build but I've pm'd you
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I didn't think Nubodi had a paint shop they farm the work out.
I don't know of any kit manufacturer that doesn't, so...unless you know who the paint shop is, and have the relationship with them he has to get whatever preferential rates he may get.....go through Richard (its not rocket salad!)
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
I don't know of any kit manufacturer that doesn't, so...unless you know who the paint shop is, and have the relationship with them he has to get whatever preferential rates he may get.....go through Richard (its not rocket salad!)
I guess you mean "you don't know any kit manufacturer that does"?
Nobodi is not a manufacturer he is a build agent.

Any preferential deal that he gets he is not passing on to the customer, he is in business .

So I guess your advice is to chat to paint shops close to Reading or just ask for the car to be painted to your budget.

It doesn't make sense to go to a build agent to get your car put into a paint shop.
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:23

I meant I don't know a kit manufacturer that doesn't farm out its paint work

I guess my advice is, and it makes sense to, go to the person who can get a show standard finish for a pretty much unbeatable price and whose work you can see several examples of on cars similar to the one you want painted. Whether that be Richard or someone else.

Last edited by smash; 23rd March 2016 at 19:54..
Old 29th March 2016, 07:30

It's red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 29th March 2016, 13:13

Wow that's looking great straight out of the gun! Gonna be a stunner, especially when the bumpers are on as it'll look really production then.

Looking forward to seeing it at Stoneleigh.
Old 31st March 2016, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post

Good paintwork is rarely cheap, and cheap paintwork is rarely good.
Agreed
Old 1st April 2016, 21:27

Back from paint yesterday
Light bezels being made
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (22.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 1st April 2016, 21:40

Coming on nicely
Im looking forward to seeing the grille and bumpers on
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:07
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I guess you mean "you don't know any kit manufacturer that does"?
Nobodi is not a manufacturer he is a build agent.

Any preferential deal that he gets he is not passing on to the customer, he is in business .

So I guess your advice is to chat to paint shops close to Reading or just ask for the car to be painted to your budget.

It doesn't make sense to go to a build agent to get your car put into a paint shop.
Just for your information, although its really none of your business, I funded the paintshop 20 years ago. I had a car painted by an apprentice at a body shop, I saw his potential, good painters are born not created. I put up the money and he now works for me, he does his own crash work when he can but he I keep him very busy. You can call every paintshop in the country if you like as he does not advertise, and would not take on anyone trying to go through the back door. You may find this hard to believe but what he charges me I put £100 on top to cover collection and delivery. We make our money on the build and preparation. That's why we can do these jobs for under £3000 and no one else can to this standard. For anyone on this forum that has not seen our work, here's some examples

Old 2nd April 2016, 10:17
Enthusiast

Sorry I do not mean to hi-jack this forum, all our work is on the Tribute forum. We are the build agent for Tribute.

I have spoken to Brian on several occasions and I am in awe of the quality of his GRP. I believe his prices are justified as the development that goes into these kits are immense. There is room in this industry for all types of kits.
Top of the pile is DNA but reassuringly expensive.
Tribute produce more varied models and much faster. They need more sanding and fettling but are cheap.
Choice is a great thing.
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:10

DNA AUTOMOTIVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Sorry I do not mean to hi-jack this forum, all our work is on the Tribute forum. We are the build agent for Tribute.

I have spoken to Brian on several occasions and I am in awe of the quality of his GRP. I believe his prices are justified as the development that goes into these kits are immense. There is room in this industry for all types of kits.
Top of the pile is DNA but reassuringly expensive.
Tribute produce more varied models and much faster. They need more sanding and fettling but are cheap.
Choice is a great thing.

Thank you for your kind comments Richard....Ive always loved the classic models. The idea for the z3 250 cal was originally conceived in 2008 but demand pushed us to make newer cars. Now I think it's time to create some cars on 'my' wish list !...cheers Brian DNA
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:35
Enthusiast

Hi Brian
Its nice to get credit where it's due.
Since our first prototype of the convertible 250 SWB (see red Kalifornia, earlier in the thread) I'm too hooked on the classics too. The red Kalifornia is my daily driver (for 8 months of the year at least) I have a 308, two Daytonas and a Testarossa convertible. Some real but to be honest I enjoy the replicas as much and I'm not as worried when they are parked.
I am in contact regularly with Del, we keep up to date with developments on DNA and I tell him about Tribute models.
Look forward to building this new California and whats in the future.
Richard
Old 2nd April 2016, 19:26

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
And this is the right answer, do it once, do it right, Paint and sundries on a respray are over a grand now.
How expensive is this paint /Litre? I realise there may be (say) £100 for w&d, tack rags, panel wipe etc (it soon adds up).
Old 5th April 2016, 15:04

Any moe pictures?
Have you fitted the brightwork?