Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 5th May 2014, 20:14
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread after some issues on the way back from Stoneleigh. I believe I have a brake imbalance, which is only coming to light on longer runs since I fitted the dual booster.

Vikkis rear brakes where binding, and where if not red hot, bloody hot and smoking when I got home. There was a distinct lack of oomph from her, as she was continually fighting the friction of the brakes.

This could be down to sticky calipers - and I won't know for sure until I take a look at them... But with the mileage I've done, and the lack of problems prior to the booster change, I think it could be residual pressure building up in the rear lines, keeping them engaged.

I'm wondering if I need to fit the brake pressure regulator that was on the donor, to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes. Thing is, I didn't keep mine - so I need to source one. Does anyone have one to hand?

Everything I find online is in the states - so assume that the only source will be at the parts desk.
Sorry to hear that!

I hesitate to say this but those are the very same symptoms I had with my first 'faulty' dual diaphragm booster. Did you try lifting the brake pedal with your foot to release the brakes?
I remember checking your car a couple of years ago and confirmed the your servo always returned fully under it's own spring. Maybe your pedal has got a bit 'sticky' through lack of use over the winter months?
You should check if your brake pedal fully returns without any help.

BTW, I don't think the rear bias pressure reducer will be a cure for what you describe. I had one fitted both before and after my new booster.
Old 6th May 2014, 08:36
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it's not the same problem that a lot of us had originally - before we changed to the second batch of servo's? Do you have a large return spring on the brake pedal - I found this to be a partial cure at least when I had brake binding problems.

Cheers, Robin
Old 6th May 2014, 17:24
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

No, no spring - and using the clevis.

I've spoken to Mike, and will be adding a spring and swapping to a rose joint ASAP.
Old 6th May 2014, 23:43
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
No, no spring - and using the clevis.

I've spoken to Mike, and will be adding a spring and swapping to a rose joint ASAP.

............and try to align the servo push rod perfectly central when it is finally connected to your pedal: in the horizontal plane..... to remove the angle created by the Marlin pedal box arrangement.
It appears the servo seal on the chrome and zinc servos is very sensitive.

Note for other users:
The black powder coated dual servo is a different make/design to the chrome and zinc servos, and does not appear to be affected by the binding problem.
Old 7th May 2014, 16:31
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Right, I've got some chunky tension springs that are normally used in land rover pedals coming from eBay (£2) and I've ordered a rose joint, coupler and another 3/8 UNF lock nut from McGill motorsports.

I'm also going to take a look at the adjustment of the output rod, that acts on the master cylinder. I don't think I wound it too much, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to bolt the cylinder on without effort... But it can't hurt to check.