Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 17th November 2013, 12:07

Down&Out is on a distinguished road
Default Help me think up a base car?

Hi folks,

Things are whirling round in my head for a build. Im wanting to build a beautiful sports car. Semi replica if you like, similar to what tribute automotive did with the tvr wedge.

I would in fact be happy to build a GTO copy on a wedge chassis. The plans i formulated in my head were a wedge, with a straight 6 fitted, and a 250 body.
TVR tasmins are fairly easy to find, not too expensive to buy and i could make a lot of the purchase price back by selling the parts i dont use.

Only thing is, i'd really like it to be tax exempt, and as the tasmins are 1980 onwards, they wouldnt be. Theyre likely to be £220+ a year to tax so if i can find a pre 74 donor that would be incredible.

I want at least the wheelbase to be correct, which i assume is why the wedge was chosen for tribute's build in the first place. The wedge has a wheelbase of 2400mm (94.5"), which is exactly the same as a proper 250gto.

I did research the idea of using a vitesse chassis, because theyre tax free, already have a straight 6, but theyre too short, and would need lengthening a hell of a lot (about 44cm), which they would definitely notice during a rebody inspection.

Then i sought out the earlier models of TVRs, namely M series because its the precursor to the wedge. They came with the 2500 L6 out of the TR6, but despite some being tax free they are A) horrendously expensive, and B) too short in the wheelbase.

So this leaves me stuck. The wedge idea with the 250 body is still a goer and will probably happen if i cant find another donor. But if someone can think up a pre '74 car that has a 2400mm wheelbase, a chassis and scope to fit a straight 6, im all ears.

Just thought i'd ask before i start to commit to the idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!

D&O
Available from eBay
Old 17th November 2013, 18:39
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

TVR wedge is a pretty good choice, good underpinnings to start with.

Other than that what about a Lotus Eclat if you want an earlier car.

Make something like this and I'm in

http://fabwheelsdigest.blogspot.co.u...ction-iii.html
Old 17th November 2013, 21:02

I do want to build a zagato replica, that has been my ideal for a while.

Thing is, you cant just buy an off the shelf kit, so i was going to build a 250gto to get my eye in and practice in the art of kit building and fibreglassing, as i can get the basis for such from tribute, and use that while im planning the next one.

Im no stranger to a classic restoration, ive done a mini, just finishing a Dolomite, got two more minis and a P6 in line too.

Eclat is not a bad shout, but its still not tax free, they were 1974 onwards im afraid, but thanks for the idea!
Old 18th November 2013, 11:51

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you are going for something that is tax exempt you might consider going reletively modern. As you may know, I have just done a BMW Z3 conversion with Tribute.

The Z3 makes a great doner as you get a 2.8, 3.0 or 3.2 straight six. All the body panels unbolt so you can have a car stripped and ready to rebuild in less than a day. The car is mechanically sound and spares are plentiful and reasonably cheap.

Wheelbase 96.3
Track/tread (front) 55.6
Track/tread (rear) 58.8
Length 159.4
Width 68.5
Old 18th November 2013, 12:00

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

as WCA says, why go old tax exempt when you can (for the moment) go newish tax exempt (or low) i.e. something that is in a very low tax band, then you are looking to re-panel rather than total body off and redesign
Old 18th November 2013, 18:28

While i may sound like a babbling fool and you wont understand me, i really, really dont like modern cars.

I cant deal with anything with copious electronics, or computers in, or excessive plastic. I also dislike the way moderns drive, i cant stand how overly soft and lacking in feel they are. I dont even like power steering that much.

Something 60s/70s, with a proper british 6 in it, is all im after. I can mend and maintain it myself really easily, and it'll drive how i want it to.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:36

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I know exactly what you mean. It was my TVR Chris cut up after I had to get rid of it. I snapped my foot off and now can't twist my ankle properly to drive a manual so am stuck with automatics. Newer auto's are so much better than the slush boxes from the 70's or earlier.
Old 18th November 2013, 21:28

I've got a 1977 Dolomite 1850 auto and its fantastic. I never set out to get an auto but its like driving a space ship and the MPG is better than the manual.

Its looking like it might have to be the tvr and just pay the tax!