Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 30th November 2013, 17:25

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default Paint Colour - the eternal question

For some it is simple, red, for others there are a variety of choices. I have been reasonably content with my choice of RAL3003 Ruby Red but my wife suddenly asked me when I was getting it resprayed in blue?!?

I had toyed earlier with the idea of blue but had finally decided on the light wine red.

If people could post their painted cars up here with the colour codes, names or effects then it might help other people decide. I am going to post a few pictures from this forum and the Sammio one and hope people will declare their colour codes where I can't identify them.

Mr Towed - Jawel 'pure silver' cellulose kit bought from ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CELLULOSE-... tem56579ae628

Mick1mo - no matching paint code referance to my blue as mine is a base coat but it is availiable by the lt from

MIPA COATINGS,
0-5-00590-500
MS-CO

The closes colour match I have found is "Austin Martin" blue

AndyP57- Dark Red

Patrice - Green RAL6005 MOSSGREEN

Marks - Red

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 3rd December 2013 at 14:00..
Available from eBay
Old 30th November 2013, 17:39

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Jason (Drummajor) . Dorchester Grey

Last edited by Viatron; 30th November 2013 at 17:44..
Old 30th November 2013, 19:42

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

No paint code with mine, it was a Jawel 'pure silver' cellulose kit bought from ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CELLULOSE-...item56579ae628

After taking advice from Jawel about spraying it onto fibreglass, all I had to do was give the car a couple of coats of etch primer before two coats of the high build primer they supplied then about a dozen coats of the silver.

Considering it was shot out of a cheap gun by a total novice sprayer (me), it went on really well -

Total cost for my diy spray job including all primer, paint, thinners, two spray guns, compressor and loads of wet 'n' dry was.....

£275.
Old 30th November 2013, 22:43

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

That's brilliant Mr T.
How much paint did you buy, and what did just the paint cost?
Old 1st December 2013, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
That's brilliant Mr T.
How much paint did you buy, and what did just the paint cost?
Hi Scottie, I bought the twenty litre kit as advertised on ebay. It was just over a hundred pounds delivered and came with five litres each of Upol high build primer, standard thinners, top coat and high gloss thinners. I also bought 2.5 litres of etch primer and another five litres of standard thinners locally. The compressor was about £90 new from ebay, I got a sealey suction spray gun in a pack of air tools that cost £25 and I bought a gravity fed gun with a 2.1 nozzle to spray the high build primer through for only £11 from a local hardware store.

I'd never sprayed paint before but did loads of research on the 'net and took advice from Mikemiglia on the prep, which was the most time consuming bit of the process. Mike's advice was spot on so it's worth posting the link here -

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3864

I'm very happy with the finish I achieved given the cheap tools and lack of experience and I'm really glad I had a go myself.
Old 1st December 2013, 15:14

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Mr T. thanks for such an informative answer. Your car really looks the part, and I hope I get similar results. I might go the same route as yourself, but TWELVE coats? I honestly don't think I have the patience!
Old 1st December 2013, 16:56

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

I painted mine myself too, check out my thread on painting, I did it in a gazebo ? Really pleased to have done the whole car myself. When I build my next car I will paint it again myself . However my paint was expensive , I used Jaguar Dorchester Grey . Love it too
Old 1st December 2013, 17:01

zagmad is on a distinguished road

I'm drawn to grey. Not just because the donor log book says its grey but was thinking of adding different coloured elements to work with it. Not sure wether to go battle ship grey or a darker grey like vw pure grey. I'm also drawn to maroon some might call it burgundy. a few bmws in my area have a great dark burgundy without being brown and not purple. Elements i would colour are mirrors and wheels to make the grey pop as it were. Eg megane sports versions
Old 1st December 2013, 17:02

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

I painted mine myself too, check out my thread on painting, I did it in a gazebo ? Really pleased to have done the whole car myself. When I build my next car I will paint it again myself . However my paint was expensive , I used Jaguar Dorchester Grey . Love it too
Old 1st December 2013, 17:21

zagmad is on a distinguished road

Saw a 60's mini in a light grey worked well with chrome detailing. Some blues are nice too. Seen a ferrari 250 in a light metallic blue but it was an American owner so probably had it custom painted
Old 1st December 2013, 18:57

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road
Default Sea green

OK, mine isn't finished but you can get a rough idea of the colour from this. It will be Sea Green BS 381c 217 - inside and out.

It won't be to many people's taste but I want something period and, much as I love BRG, I wanted something a little different.

I read that small racing teams in the 50s would occasionally paint cars in whatever they could get their hands on (times were hard). BS 381c 217 is the green that was used by Southern (and some other) Railways on its buildings. I like to imagine that the paint was "borrowed" from a small hut on some sidings....which is more romantic than buying it online.
Old 1st December 2013, 20:03

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

I've decided on Rosso Barchetta, that lovely deep purpley red of early Ferrari's.

Old 2nd December 2013, 11:50

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Hi WCA. Just a point of order. The RAL3005 car (number 57) was mine and not Mikes.
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:00

Sorry!
Old 5th December 2013, 07:51

davecymru is on a distinguished road

For the sake of posterity, mine was Alfa Romeo 289A Red (well.... the nearest match they could make in cellulose!)

Old 5th December 2013, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
For the sake of posterity, mine was Alfa Romeo 289A Red (well.... the nearest match they could make in cellulose!)

A year or so on, any regrets over selling it DC?
Old 5th December 2013, 08:57

Sadly the answer to that is yes!

I know I've got what I've always wanted and i am glad that i did it so that i could get the whole Countach thing out of my system.
But even the kit car version of the Countach is just so complicated and so expensive, that with my limited resources and single-garage, it's not as much "fun" as the Sammio!
e.g. i need to fix a squeak on the rear wheel and investigate a weird noise from the clutch, with the Sammio that's not a problem to do inside but i simply don't have the room to do those indoors, so i have to wait for a dry weekend where I'm not busy. So time is moving ever on and I'm still not actively out driving and enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

I would 'like' to get all of the big jobs done and enjoy it for a season or two, but I'd also like to build another Spyder (sorry i keep forgetting the Ribble name!), 2L based, but this time with doors, a heater!, possibly 2 humps and a few other differences to my 1st build. But we'll have to see how things go
Old 5th December 2013, 10:15

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave, With those requirements, if you come back to the fold you'd be best looking at the (now fully straightened) Spitfire based Ribble Navigator with a 2ltr lump. Keep an eye on Viatron's build for a view on doors, and 2 humps would be easy as we've now got both Left and Right handed moulds.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:14

Thanks Andy.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:44

But what color this time?