Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th March 2010, 08:25
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Picture Request

I am doing some final fetteling of the bodywork prior to painting. I have never been happy with the position of the rear wings - even though they are positioned according to Marlin's instructions. Do any of you have a square side on shot showing the position of your rear wings relative to the rear of the doors? Mine really look as though they should be moved back an inch or so.

I have also been playing with the front wings. The position has never been quite right since I modified the mounting arrangement for the wing stay mounting (to stop it falling offf evey 10 miles). What a pain of a job that is to get right. In order to centre the wings correctly over the wheels I have had to pass the wings stays through the wings (picture to follow). One side effect of this mod though is that I now have plenty of clearance between the wing stay and the wheel rim.

I think I found someone to paint the car (She-that-must-be-obeyed said that she can't stand the agro of a DIY job) He was recommended by the guy that owns my local garage. I went and saw him this weekend. Amongst the modern tin boxes being repaired and waiting to be painted were a very rare Jenson (being stripped back to bare metal) and a 1937 Bently. I think he might do....

Robin
Available from eBay
Old 15th March 2010, 12:47
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I'll try and take some photos tonight - I need to do some tinkering. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.
Old 15th March 2010, 15:11
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I'll try and take some photos tonight
Thanks Jason.

Quote:
I need to do some tinkering. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.
Ah yes - the smell of freshly cut fibregrass...... Unresistable.

Robin
Old 15th March 2010, 17:15
Enthusiast

Here you go - I haven't resized it, so I've linked to it as a URL:

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/Sportst...3/wingdoor.JPG
Old 15th March 2010, 20:33
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I am doing some final fetteling of the bodywork prior to painting. I have never been happy with the position of the rear wings - even though they are positioned according to Marlin's instructions. Do any of you have a square side on shot showing the position of your rear wings relative to the rear of the doors? Mine really look as though they should be moved back an inch or so.

Robin
Hi Robin,
there are some pictures on the Marlin build manual CD. I can put them on my Flickr site if you've not got them. The front edge of the wing should be 25mm from the door jam.

regards
Peter
Old 15th March 2010, 20:46
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Hi Robin,
there are some pictures on the Marlin build manual CD. I can put them on my Flickr site if you've not got them. The front edge of the wing should be 25mm from the door jam.

regards
Peter
I also found this picture which might be helpful...already on my Flickr.

cheers

Peter
Old 16th March 2010, 07:35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi Robin,

regards
Peter
Thanks Peter and Jason

I have the build CD (somewhere...) My wings are about 25mm from the door jam but somehow it just dosen't look quite right. They look just like the picture of the red Sportster that you posted. It looks like on Jason's car they are slightly further back. Maybe I am being too fussy but once it's painted there will be no more chances to change anything

Peter - how is your paint job going - or do we all have to wait for the final result

Robin
Old 16th March 2010, 07:53
Enthusiast

I think my wings may be a touch lower than yours Robin:

I positioned mine such that they where a few mil back from my exhaust bars, and set the height according to the mold lines on the wing where it would have been cut out for the ford based chassis. Then I let the wing find the best angle to follow the body itself. It's ended up about 20mm below the line the rear of the tub describes.
Old 17th March 2010, 08:29
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I don't seem to have that many photos of that area. I didn't really use the instructions, just spent a very, very long time positioning, standing back, looking at all the lines on the car and repeat.

I went for the top of the circle centred over the wheel so as much of the wings line runs around the wheel as possible.

Here's the front wing - these are carbonmod wings:

Old 18th March 2010, 21:04
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Peter - how is your paint job going - or do we all have to wait for the final result

Robin
I was supposed to pick up the first painted bits last Saturday but nothing was ready. Should be some parts ready this weekend, but then i'm away on holiday for a week, so it may be Easter weekend before I get to refit some parts. I was hoping to have the exposed chassis parts resprayed before the red bits come back but it's been too cold for spraying outside and my garage is really too small to do it with the car inside. So the jobs are backing up a bit and not long to Stoneliegh
Old 19th March 2010, 07:07
Enthusiast

Quote:
So the jobs are backing up a bit and not long to Stoneliegh
I know the feeling.... I have still to make a final decision on the colour - but at least the guy that is painting mine reccons he can do the lot within a week.

Robin
Old 19th March 2010, 08:03

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

The guys who did mine took about 3 weeks. It took even longer to put it all back together as I told them to paint some parts in the wrong order and had to wait for them to be done.