Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 28th December 2017, 18:07

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Brrrrrrr…
Finally got a chance to head out for a short spin today.

First stop B&Q.

Then I tried in vain to find a suitable location for a photo shoot with the sun setting behind the car.

In the end, I had headed a bit further West than expected and it was getting pretty dark by the time I got home.
( The photo makes the sky look brighter than it was & note the frost still on my neighbour's car. )

But regardless of the light, it was bloody cold out.

Best comment of the day was from a guy who told me he had a Scalextric model of my car when he was a kid!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 1st January 2018, 18:01

Happy New Year!
A couple of days ago I was up a wobbly ladder sorting out a blocked rain gutter here.

But I did get out for a quick spin today and recreated one of Mr T's photos.

Although my drive didn't start well, when I managed to spill petrol all over the paintwork while filling up.

I then managed to miss the sun setting for a second time.

Hope you have a great 2018.

Take care, Paul.
Old 7th January 2018, 16:02

A Short Break
After a few days away with my family, I had a chance to go out for a quick spin this afternoon.

First job was to check the oil.

The bad news is that I am definitely burning and/or losing oil.

The good news is that I still get a kick out of opening the bonnet on hinges I made myself.

I was out for about an hour / 20+ miles, which was still long enough to freeze my ar$e off.

So I only managed to take one photo while I was out.

At some point I will need to give the car a wash as it is getting pretty filthy now.

A few highlights from my drive:

Let an old style Fiat 500 pull out from a side road in front of me and we exchanged big smiles as we passed.
As this '500' was on steroids, a 'Pro Street' drag racing style, complete with roll cage and serious sounding engine.

Waved at a hardy MX5 driver, who is the only one I've seen with the roof down in all my recent 'chilly' drives.

Was carefully weaving my way over Harrow Hill due to the small gaps left by parked cars.
Then just as I was pulling into the single car width space ahead of me, a young chap decided to play 'chicken'.
There was a big plume of black smoke out of the back of his old 3 series BMW as he tried to accelerate into the same gap before I got there.
He failed.
Instead, he just ended up blocking the road in front of me with nowhere for either of us to go.
Despite the Romanian number plate he appeared to fully understand the short blast of Anglo-Saxon that I gave him.
He also understood that his dumb driving meant that I wasn't going to be the one doing the reversing.
So I just inched forward as he slowly/carefully reversed back down the road, past at least 10 cars that were previously behind him.
As these were now all safely tucked in on their side of the road leaving him no where to pull back in.
[Del Boy]
"What a plonker!"
[/Only Fools and Horses]

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Someone pointed me to this advert for a 1957 Falcon for sale in the USA.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ks-sportsracer
Old 12th January 2018, 17:54

Micra Mission:
My wife's car is due its MOT tomorrow and she was told about a YouTube guide to fixing her headlights.

As they currently look like this, it was my job to watch the video and then fix them.

First a dry sanding with 800 grit paper.

Followed by wet sanding with 2000 grit.

I ended up having to do this round twice.

Then I used some cutting compound, applied and polished by hand.

Then it was a light dusting with clear coat.

While I was hoovering and cleaning the rest of the car I was wondering how long the clear would need to dry.

At which point a fine mist of rain started coming down, so I figured that would have to do.

Whilst the end result isn't perfect, the lights are miles better than they were.

Depending on the weather, I might take my own car out for a spin at the weekend.

So until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 12th January 2018, 18:57

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Stupid boy!

You could have done it with a polishing mop and some cutting paste. The missed opportunity was that you had to buy if for the wife's car, in fact you could have got her to pay for it.
A missed opportunity, Stupid Boy!
Old 13th January 2018, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Stupid boy!
Oi!

I resemble that remark.

It was someone in my wife’s work that suggested the fix and they even supplied the 2000 grit and clear coat.

So I would be hard pressed to argue that I needed a new tool for the job when they didn’t use one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Friday Suppliment
As well as fixing my wife’s headlights I also had to take my mum to a physio appointment.

Due to road works I had to take the scenic route back and saw the charred Grenfell Tower for the first time.
( As I said at the time, this is not very far from my mum’s house as the crow flies. )

Even having seen in on TV doesn’t seem to dampen the impact when you see it with your own eyes.

On a lighter note, I was also stuck in a traffic jam on the North Circular with this car next to me.
( The number plate was easy to remember and Google had this photo. )

Now most cars with 4 ‘drain pipes’ for exhausts don’t actually need then.

But it was clear this car had a serious power plant and it sounded very menacing just inching along.

Saturday
Unfortunately, a number of chores got in the way of me heading out for a decent spin today.

But at least I was able to finally finish tidying the Summerhouse.

I also picked up my road bike from getting repaired today and needed to clear the space around it.

As I plan to spend hours on this Turbo trainer this year to lose some, OK, a LOT of weight.

I just hope the weather holds tomorrow.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 13th January 2018, 17:26

Barber is on a distinguished road

I was discussing a keep fit regime with my son today. I plan to get a cheap treadmill (£150 foldable and motorised) and stick it in the shed (small log cabin 2mx2m) that I have just built today, then run an armoured cable. If rainy, walk fast -ish in the shed, if not do it on the lawn. Running is definitely out of the question unless my life is threatened. I may have to put a cooled energy drinks dispenser (beer fridge) in there too. Noise cancelling headphones and Free Live, fitness here I come.
Old 14th January 2018, 16:30

Barber - For me, the big advantage of training in the Summerhouse is I don't disturb the family.

When I was training properly, I could happily do a couple of hours cycling before work, even if it was dark outside.

For the long steady rides, I have an old TV and DVD player with headphones to keep me occupied.

Power is run from the house via an armoured cable.

The cable comes in underneath/through the concrete base.

After back filling the hole, there is no sign of the cable at all.

Which gives me both light and power sockets.

Good luck with your fitness plan.

Sunday Spin:
Managed to get out for around a hour and 20 minutes today, which equates to 33 odd miles due to traffic.

Took a quick blast up the M1 and was pleased to find that the overdrive switch seemed to be working properly.

Whilst it might be getting marginally brighter in the afternoons, it is still pretty cold out there, so just one photo stop.

At some point I need to make a final decision on some side mirror plinths.
( As I want them in place before I get my tonneau cover made. )

Old 26th January 2018, 09:32

Quick Catch Up
Recently, the weather has not been suitable for open top driving.

But I did get out for a decent drive yesterday, just under 2 hours and just over 50 miles.

Didn't see any other cars with their roofs down, but exchanged a nod & and a smile with an old guy on an old Norton coming the other.

When I filled up with petrol I also stopped for a coffee break to help me warm up a bit.
( Excuse the poor photo. )

Unfortunately, after taking the scenic route out, I took the M1 back and the wind really blasted me.

Not easy to get a decent photo of it, but I think the wind and rain lashing the car cover is ruining the paint.

So I will definitely be taking up JaguarTVR's kind offer of showing me how to cut and polish this properly when the weather improves.

In other news, I've started getting back into a regular exercise routine in an effort to lose weight.

I've also finally started to work my way through loads of paperwork I put in "come back to later" piles during the build.

Note:
This was 'Round 1' and 'Round 2' was at least half as much again.
I even had to buy a new shredder after over working the old one.

Old 26th January 2018, 10:00

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Looking at your picture of the car cover, you could do with a square of plywood with an upright to create a tent pole that could sit between the drivers and passenger seats, this would stop the water from pooling and might help keep the inside drier.
Old 27th January 2018, 15:04

Jag - Unfortunately what I really need is a garage.

Building the car on my driveway was a dumb idea and parking it here is not much better.

Short Saturday
This morning, I tried to squeeze a quick drive in before the promised rain arrived in the afternoon.

But first it was time to check the oil and I'm still lovin' the bonnet opening.

Unfortunately, I'm not lovin' the fact I haven't sorted out inner front wheel arches yet, as there is mud everywhere.

I barely managed 15 miles in an hour as there was nothing but roadworks and traffic jams in all directions.

Then to rub slat into the wounds, I got caught in some light drizzle that had a brief flurry of sleet in it.

It was easy to keep a stiff upper lip as I drove though this, mainly because the lower half of my face was frozen.

Old 27th January 2018, 18:27
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Paul L I have a hard half tonneau cover from a Spyder knocking about the workshop.
Why not collect it and adapt it for you car ?
It will help keep out the rain when the covering sheet is on and help keep you warm and dry when your driving.
Old 28th January 2018, 01:11

WelshOne is on a distinguished road

Stunning just stunning Paul.

-

As for this little car you spotted.

Nissan GTR R35
3.8 twin turbo
420 bhp in standard form but this one has been played with
195+ mph
With a price tag of pushing on 100k.

Sorry my geeky knowledge of Japanese sports cars is greater then kit cars

It surely puts my daily drive with 4 drain pipes out the back with only 230 bhp to shame. But mine has a wankle engine.

Last edited by WelshOne; 28th January 2018 at 09:17..
Old 28th January 2018, 16:14

Mike - Thanks for your kind offer.

But I've got my wooden tonneau covers for when the car is parked on the driveway.
( Note the P & D were added before the steering wheel was fitted & at one point these were a single unit. )

And when the weather finally warms up I will get a proper cover made, something like Mister Towed's.

WelshOne - That GTR certainly sounded evil just crawling along.

A very long time along, I remember reading about someone fitting a wankle engine into an Alfa Spyder.
( Possibly in Street Machine? )

Even Shorter Sunday
Domestic stuff had to take priority today, but I did get a very quick spin out.

And as it wasn't raining, I did take a couple of photos.

But by now the sky was starting to cloud over...

So it was a quick stop at Sainsburys.

Where no sooner had I stepped out of the car when a man and his young son came over for a chat.

The amazingly positive reaction the car gets really does help take away my disappointment with the paint.

Old 29th January 2018, 11:55

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
The amazingly positive reaction the car gets really does help take away my disappointment with the paint.

I know those feelings well! My paintwork is blistered, star crazed and cracked in quite a few places, but it's more than compensated for by the 'dropped jaw' looks from old boys as I cruise past. I generally drop it a cog, give it a squirt for their benefit, and check in my mirror that they're still gawping as they drink in the six-pot music .

Regards, Mick
Old 30th January 2018, 08:43

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Why are you disappointed with the paint - it looks nice and aged and suits the car. Is there anything in particular that bothers you?

Marc (from the Miglia page)
Old 4th February 2018, 14:23

Mick - Thanks for the kind words.

I know the real problem is my own standards/expectations, as everyone else likes what they see.

Marc - It is really hard to get a decent photo of the problem, but there is a scratched/milky finish on the paint now.

At least the 'survivor' look is more popular in the old car world these days.

Hell's Bells It's Cold Out
Forecast said it was around 3 or 4 degrees when I headed out today, but it felt much colder.

I took my go pro out, so I could get some photos without stopping.

I have to work my way through the built up areas…

Before I finally get onto the open road.

Tried another 'Italian Job' angle.

And finally one 'selfie', where the exposed part of my face is freezing.

PS
Had a weird passerby this morning who stopped for a chat while I was just starting the car up on my drive.
He said he had taken photos of my car "without wheels" and wanted to know if he could take some more.
English wasn't his first language and, for a Sunday morning, he absolutely stank of drink.
But in the spirit of goodwill, I said just let me pull the car into the road so he could get a better view.
Then, to my surprise, he pulled out a HUGE professional SLR camera and proceeded to click away.
It turns out his previous photos were taken when the car was freshly painted and left uncovered to dry.
( Hence the lack of wheels. )
Old 4th February 2018, 20:40

Barber is on a distinguished road

Paul, this may not be any help but worth considering.

A number of years ago, I painted some wooden garage doors in a very nice green external paint, similar in tone to yours. This was done September/October time and a combination of the cold and heavy dew made it go milky in patches. It stayed the same over the winter, but during the spring and early summer, the heat and sunshine dried the paint out thoroughly and it was good for many years.

Don't panic until you have had the chance for the car to get a good dose of fresh air and warm sunshine. Fingers crossed.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:58

Barber - Cheers.

My current plan is to wait until the warm weather returns and then see what can be done.
Old 12th February 2018, 14:16

Default Triumph Swordfish 1500

Short and sharp
You know it is going to be a cold trip when there is still unmelted flakes of snow on the car cover.

Once again, don't let the sunshine fool you, the wind chill was biting on exposed roads.

Note: You can really see the 'milky' paint finish on the rear arch in the photo above.

Although I did like the ray of sunshine peaking through when I filled up.

And I still enjoy the Sainsburys' car park.