Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 15th March 2009, 20:19
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation
Question The end of the unfinished kit?

With the IVA test expected to be £500+ and a re-test fee of £xxx expected, will it mean the end of picking up someone elses unfinished kit on the cheap.

Ebay is full of old unfinished kits, GTMs Eagles, Duttons, Pilgrims etc, have been tempted myself with thoughts of getting a car on the road for under a couple of grand but with the cost of IVA thats pretty much out the window now.

Or will it mean that and unfinished kit will be worth even less as a result?

Really don't know how they are justifiying the price increase over SVA.

John
Available from eBay
Old 16th March 2009, 06:04
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

A few things spring to mind. On guessing though.

Like cars, fully built, production, etc. The price will go for whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If I was buying a part built kit, I would be inclined top strip down to start "just in case of a mistake" anyway.

The price of the IVA might have an influence on the potential buyers that know about it. But how many will know about it when bidding on a kit. See one for example on ebay and let heart rule when buying. Then find out about the IVA to get it on the road!
Old 24th March 2009, 12:02

madoldbugger is on a distinguished road

I thought the same thing but phrased in a different way in another thread as I found some brand new unstarted/unfinished kits on eBay circa 1986-88 and pre SVA or IVA and wondered what problems would transpire when tested and as you say £500 for the test to have a kit that wont pass is not a good thing!
Old 26th March 2009, 11:21
Kit Car Dreamer

martin butler is on a distinguished road

does the iva only apply to kits have have not been registered ,the same as the old sva, when i bought my charger i only had to worry about an mot because it was already registered, if you can buy a kit that has already got a correct v5, would you still have to put it though the new test
Old 26th March 2009, 11:35

If i'm correct IVA like the previous SVA is only on new unregistered kits and pre 1998 builds would get the normal V5 and a Q plate.

Any kits whether new or old but as new have to complete an IVA submission and I think all new kits will be IVA compliant but older kits will/may not I have recently seen a Ginetta G31 Cortina based kit which had just been completed to a rolling chassis stage and never had an engine fitted nor lights etc and a brand new Rickman Ranger Saloon in the same state of construction.

Whilst both very cheap compared to their original costs in 1986 and 1989 respectively the added costs to comply with the IVA plus the fee for that may mean the end of unfinished projects as they could become uneconomical to complete
Old 26th March 2009, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin butler View Post
does the iva only apply to kits have have not been registered ,the same as the old sva, when i bought my charger i only had to worry about an mot because it was already registered, if you can buy a kit that has already got a correct v5, would you still have to put it though the new test
I would say no as you already have the V5, unless someone knows different that is
Old 28th March 2009, 08:07
Big Cheese

If it's already registered then you're ok, it's the unfinished kits that I think will be hit by this, the ones that you think will be as cheap as chips to get on the road (if only)

If you substantially alter an existing kit that's registered then that could be a whole new ball game....
Old 27th February 2010, 08:39
Kit Car Dreamer

can someone please conferm that pre 1990 un registered kit cars dont qualify for iva, because having sold my old charger i am looking at another old kit, but its never been registered and paying out in excess of £500 for an iva will put serious questions on if its worth getting it its mini based, but doesnt use the floorpan just subframes
Old 27th February 2010, 08:51
Big Cheese

As far as I know it will have to go through IVA if it has never been registered before, no matter how old it is.

I've not heard of a cut off date before based on the age of the kit (how do you prove this anyway?) - are you getting this info from somewhere in particular?

Also, as per another thread on here, buying an old unfinished kit could mean you run into a few probs at DVLA time. Make sure you get as much history as possible relating to the build to show that it is amateur built (or make sure you document rebuilding it from scratch)

Cheers, John
Old 27th February 2010, 09:13
Kit Car Dreamer

thanks for that to be honest its not going to be worth the extra cost, if it had been previously registered it might have been worth doing, i was going on what had been posted previously on here that pre 1998 cars would get an age related v5 and just need MOT anyway im now looking at a banham bug that been registered so hopefully its a more viable project
Old 27th February 2010, 13:35
Kit Car Dreamer

now im really p****off lost it to a sniper and only by £5 are there any auction places like ebay out there that do not allow these sort of things to go on

im not sure now if its worth looking at any cars on ebay any more
Old 28th February 2010, 10:15
Big Cheese

With ebay you've just got to play them at their own game and snipe as well.

Either that or just put in the highest you are prepared to go a few mins before the end, if it goes for more then you havn't lost out as it went for more than you were prepared to pay anyway.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:45
Kit Car Dreamer

thanks for that, but at the moment the only ones that interest me seem to all be un registered but as i intend to get a kit and do a full strip and rebuild might the iva price have come down to a more reasonable level by the time ive completed any build and how complex is the iva examination
Old 1st March 2010, 18:53

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

I doubt the IVA fee will come down, it is a pretty comprehensive test and takes half a day to complete. One of the reasons they put the fee up when they changed to an IVA was because they were losing money on each SVA test.

It's just one of those costs you have to factor in to a build these days
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:52
Kit Car Dreamer

on a kit car with enclosed bodywork what are the areas that iva would be difficault to comply with, ive been looking at a nimbus mostly because its fairly local, and i just love rare kits, also we have half a dozen scrap minis and metros next door that i can pull parts off of , so i might fit a k engine rather than the a series if its no good, what ever i get ,it will probally be mini or metro based for that reason cheep interiours and mechanicals
Old 3rd March 2010, 07:47

It's best to check the IVA manual as they are pretty specific about projections (both internal and external) but essentially as long as everything is smooth or padded the main problems you can come across are dials, lights, switches and mirrors
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:42
Kit Car Dreamer

thanks chris, if i get the car i would be looking at grafting in a stock metro dash and controls so it should all be complient anyway and as i would be stripping any car down to its last nut and bolt and recording every thing on film that should keep DVLA happy , i might even post it on here, you know call it the why did i start this post , but ive got to get it first
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:34

There are some funny things with the dash warning lights now so you would need to check that the colour and the symbol! are correct. For example, I believe that "they" (europe) have decided that your oil pressure warning light should be orange now not red for some stupid reason
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:11
Kit Car Dreamer

Just been looking at several IVA related forums, and it would appear that IVA is only applicable to cars that have been built in the last ten years, a vehicle that has been built but not put on the road for more than ten years is exempt as long as you can proove to DVLA that it was built before the ten year dead line, but how can you do that? engine and chassis number maybe? or by prooving that the kit has been out of production for more than ten years, from what i have found out its a minefield does anyone have definate DVLA guidence on this
Old 4th March 2010, 08:44

I think that would be near impossible to prove tbh,
for example, my chassis was built in 2003 but it took six years to build the rest of the car to SVA compliance and until now to actually finish it. So is my car 7 years old or 1? As far as registering it, the DVLA see the car build date as when you have finished it to a road legal state i.e. ready for SVA and registration.

One way to prove it is to get a receipt from a car builder to prove the date of completion but then it is not an amateur built!