Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 1st December 2011, 15:57

cbjroms is on a distinguished road
Default Bonding/Sealing Plywood Floor To Chassis

Just getting to this stage and wondering whether I need to bond the floor to the chassis, seal it or just bolt it in way of front floorpan flanges and rear frame bolts?

I know that Trevor sealed his floors to the chassis and so bonding would seem unnecessary. Looking at the Sammio website (Getting Started) Gary does not mention sealing and, anyway, the plywood is going to be glassed into the body shell.

So my temptation is to seal my ply panels by painting with resin then underseal and just bolt into place.

Interested in other opinions.

Chris
Available from eBay
Old 1st December 2011, 17:29

davecymru is on a distinguished road

i painted the panels, bolted them in place and then went around the seams/edges under the car between the chassis and the panels with tiger seal to stop water splashing up in between the gaps and puddling.
Old 1st December 2011, 18:04

Paul D is on a distinguished road

We used 18mm marine ply, painted it all over both sides with resin mix including through the bolt holes. Then glued strips of rubber from some old convayer belt material onto the chassis rails with evostik contact adhesive, and bolted the wood in place through the outriggers and side rails. I used some large self tappers along the centre chassis rails rather than drilling right through the top and bottom, being concerned about weakening them too much. Will bond to the fibreglass body soon, but not to the chassis. Hope this helps,

Paul.