Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th January 2014, 19:33

swifty is on a distinguished road
Default Navigator subframe

Most likely going to manufacture my own sub frame for a navigator so has any body manufactured their own and had any issues, it does look straight forward once the distance's are worked out from the chassis to the body.

Any advise welcome.
Available from eBay
Old 19th January 2014, 20:21

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I'm in the process of building mine. I'm including removable roll hoops (pics on my build thread) so it might be different from what you are planning. I spent some time yesterday (the first in about three months) in the workshop so I should have some more pics shortly.
Old 19th January 2014, 20:29
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Unlike other builds I am using most or the original floor pans and baulk head in mine so I just added the steel cage frame as I went.
That said I have seen the plans for the cage frame and it looks a straight forward build. If you contact Andy @ Ribble HQ he'll know more, he may-be email a set of plans so you can look and judge yourself.
Old 20th January 2014, 03:56

Viatron is on a distinguished road

As Micky said, i think the plans was that if you bought a body you had the option of buying a frame or having drawings to do your own. No doubt Andy will pop up to clarify.
Old 20th January 2014, 07:41

Smile

Hi Viatron i had already contacted phil regards supping the drawings and am know trying to get as much info on the subject as i can. the fabrication is not a problem as i do this sort of thing most days but i thought i would start a thread off to help anybody looking to do this also.
Old 20th January 2014, 08:01

Viatron is on a distinguished road

No probs, by Phil do you mean Andy at Ribble?
I built my own frame using the one Ribble supplied for rough dimensions, mine was a bit different though as I'm putting doors in mine
TTFN
Mac
Old 20th January 2014, 08:28

Oops..... yes it was Andy at Ribble, i am still getting used to who is who on the forum, apologies Andy.

Roughly how many meters of box section are required?
Ribble use 20x20 box section have you followed suit or gone larger?
Old 20th January 2014, 08:42

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Hi Viatron i had already contacted phil regards supping the drawings and am know trying to get as much info on the subject as i can. the fabrication is not a problem as i do this sort of thing most days but i thought i would start a thread off to help anybody looking to do this also.
Bit of schadenfreude there Swifty - Phil J made his own frame from scratch for his Jag green Spyder (not sure about Barry's blue one). It was, I believe, the second shell out of the mould and Gary J wasn't offering frames back in those days.

I'm sure he can offer advice to anyone who wants to make their own frame, which is something I didn't think to do as I couldn't weld when I started my build. I'd consider it if I built another although the time it would take could be an issue.

Good luck, there's always help and advice available from those who've been there and done that on this forum so don't hesitate to ask.
Old 20th January 2014, 13:52

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Bit of schadenfreude there Swifty - Phil J made his own frame from scratch for his Jag green Spyder (not sure about Barry's blue one). It was, I believe, the second shell out of the mould and Gary J wasn't offering frames back in those days.

I'm sure he can offer advice to anyone who wants to make their own frame, which is something I didn't think to do as I couldn't weld when I started my build. I'd consider it if I built another although the time it would take could be an issue.

Good luck, there's always help and advice available from those who've been there and done that on this forum so don't hesitate to ask.
Definitely no schadenfreude meant, if I was being a bit forward and presumptuous then apologies given, we all make mistakes and learn from them that’s how we improve and adapt.
I would think that the time it takes to figure out and fabricate the frame would be a couple of weekends, the time consuming part will be getting the dimensions correct so the body fits with enough support etc.
Anyway thanks for all the advice given so far and as Samuel Johnson once quoted “Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.”
Old 20th January 2014, 22:52

Quote:
Definitely no schadenfreude meant, if I was being a bit forward and presumptuous then apologies given, we all make mistakes and learn from them that’s how we improve and adapt.
I would think that the time it takes to figure out and fabricate the frame would be a couple of weekends, the time consuming part will be getting the dimensions correct so the body fits with enough support etc.
Anyway thanks for all the advice given so far and as Samuel Johnson once quoted “Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.”
Oops, just googled schadenfreude and it didn't quite mean what I thought it did.

What I meant to say was that you'd accidentally used the name of someone who had in fact made his own frames.

If you're able to knock up a frame in a couple of weekends that's great, I'm sure it would take me a heck of a lot longer than that though. Good luck with it.
Old 20th January 2014, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Oops, just googled schadenfreude and it didn't quite mean what I thought it did.

What I meant to say was that you'd accidentally used the name of someone who had in fact made his own frames.

If you're able to knock up a frame in a couple of weekends that's great, I'm sure it would take me a heck of a lot longer than that though. Good luck with it.
Not a problem MT I am a sucker for knowledge but I never thought I would be learning foreign terms on a kit car forum.
Possibly going down to Andy's workshop to take a closer look at the new Navigator and get a better feel for the car and it's looks. Have priced up the box section for a subframe which is favrouble so it all hangs on a visit to the unit.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:39

Quote:
Not a problem MT I am a sucker for knowledge but I never thought I would be learning foreign terms on a kit car forum.
Possibly going down to Andy's workshop to take a closer look at the new Navigator and get a better feel for the car and it's looks. Have priced up the box section for a subframe which is favrouble so it all hangs on a visit to the unit.
Hope you find what you're looking for there. The two Andys are real enthusiasts and genuinely passionate about their products, I'm sure both they and the value of the kit they offer will impress you.