Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 22nd January 2014, 19:41

swifty is on a distinguished road
Default Air Compressor

Looking to buy an air compressor and was thinking along the lines of a 3hp 100 ltr 10cfm unit. I have seen a very reasonably priced one at http://www.localtoolsales.com/compre...pressor-et0247 its more than likely made in china.
Has any body had dealings with this company or have the same compressor, other advantage the shop is very near to Ribble kit car so I could kill two birds with one stone.
The compressor will be used to spray paint and using a few air tools, any advice welcome.
Available from eBay
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I bought a cheap, Chinese 2hp 50ltr 7.5cfm compressor for about £90 delivered and it pretty much did the job for me. I'd say the one you're looking at would be the Rolls Royce version compared to mine so it should be more than good enough.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:18

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Machine mart occasionally do VAT Free days for customers, the voucher comes via email, if your still in the market I would be happy to forward my voucher when it turns up next, problem is they appear pretty randomly.

We have a 150Litre Clarke I our workshop, does everything ok and is the industrial model, cost me £350 second hand but the industrial stuff is better built than the DIY range and it had had very little use. We do have a blasting cabinet that would empty it very quickly so bought a second 150Litre compressor that the compressor had blown up on for not a lot and piped the 2 together so we now have 300 litres if we need to do any blasting.

Like all workshop equipment buy the best you can afford, often a good make second hand will be a better long term bet than a cheap new item. Check spares availability as well, got a few mates on other forums who have saved about £150 over what I paid for my Tig setup from R-Tech but when they ran into problems there was no spares or backup availability and they ended up scrapping them.

HTH
Mac
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:34

Thumbs up

Thanks Mr T, The chinese side of things does not bother me too much as it will be for DIY use only and once the kit is finished i will more than likely sell the compressor.

Viatron , Thanks for the offer for the vat off voucher, i am registered with machine mart and also receive the voucher but they tend to be nov/dec and mid year time. It was interesting to read about R Tech as i nearly bought a tig/plasma from them but in the end went for a Clarke instead, but the R Tech gear is priced very competitively but its like anything in life you only get what you pay for.
I may still call into Local Tool Sales in Blackburn when paying Ribble HQ a vistit and check the gear out as they also have engine mounts priced less than machine mart but they look the same so looking at them in the flesh sort of speak i will bw able to make my mind up.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:24

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

I've had a Fiac unit for over 20 years, but bought an Aldi unit as an additional more portable option. I also bought a friend one in return for helping me build a new workshop. They've proven themselves pretty good units and are supplied to Aldi by Wolf.

Have a look at this as an option;

http://www.ukhs.tv/Workshop/Dakota-1...Air-Compressor
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:45

Thanks for the link it is one i had on my short list, seen it on ebay slightly higher price with delivery though. Once i decide i will then start and look at which spray equipment to buy.
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:01

comp.jpg

Took the plunge and bought a compressor, 3hp 14cfm and 100 litre tank, just need to find a donor and i am off.

Also manged to pickup GT6 engine which requires a full rebuild with may be some trick parts, can't wait to start and strip it down.

On the look out for a Type 9 gearbox. Has anybody fitted one of these to a GT6 engine, i believe an adapter plate is required to mate the two parts together.

Last edited by swifty; 4th February 2014 at 20:55..