Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 5th October 2016, 16:42

mcramsay is on a distinguished road
Default Finally finished

Just a quick one. Spent today finishing off the marlin. It's off to Marlin in Exeter on Friday for suspension set up and moving the seatbelt mounts prior to them taking it for IVA on Wednesday the 19th of October. It's far from perfect but I think it's a good build, and will be the first 5 series donor to be put through IVA and registered. Never mind its got a whopping 3.2 M3 lump chipped for 330 BHP!

Available from eBay
Old 5th October 2016, 20:41

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Looks great, was it a long build?
Old 5th October 2016, 21:03

3 year long build, but I had work get in the way, and had breaks over the winter plus lots of unforeseen issues with the 5 series donor elements of the build!
Old 5th October 2016, 21:16
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Looks wicked!

Did you say a 3.2 M engine? In that body ? Blimey

Dave
Old 5th October 2016, 21:24

Yup s50b32 M3 Evo engine, very very tight squeeze! I had to chop of a fair few bits of the engine, including relocating the alternator to where the secondary air pump used to sit. I think there is only one other 3.2 M3 sportster that has been built.

I am hoping I can actually get the power down.
Old 5th October 2016, 22:00
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Awesome, that will be very exciting with that much power!!

Ought to be fine in the dry, damp roads are exciting with just under 200bhp available if you're too liberal with the throttle... I used to get the wheels spinning in 3rd before I got some new tyres
Old 6th October 2016, 10:44
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Congratulations - it looks a nice build. Good luck with IVA - it is a bit of a lottery with the small things.

What were the problems you had with the 5 series aspect? - I guess you were their guinea-pig!
Old 6th October 2016, 17:48

None of the issues were horrific chassis changing mods, just loads of little things, the steering column took a lot of work to get fitted correctly and I had to make a new extension shaft running through the engine bay. The rear shock mounts needed some modification to allow the coilovers to fit without sitting on a massive angle and locking up on the rose joints, the e39 wheels have a wider wheel base so they sat around an inch outside of the wheel arches, so I tried to use 3 series wheels only to find the spigots on the rear hub have a larger OD than the wheels would take, so I had to machine 0.5mm off the spigot OD. Also the steering column switches on the e39 are for a plc and won't control relays, so I had to blend together the best bits of an e36 column onto the e39 column so I could retain my steering set up but use the switches from and older 3 series!!

I am only an hour from marlin so I have been working with them to resolve most of the issues in future builds... so now they make the rear wings wider to allow for the increase in offset!