Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 24th March 2019, 08:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quick Update
I made a last minute decision to attend my mate's dad's funeral near Enniskillen on Friday morning.

To make the logistics as simple as possible, this became a 900 mile round trip drive via the ferry to Dublin.

As I've know his family for over 40 years it was the right thing to do and it all went as well as these sad events can go.

Without wishing to get into the politics of BREXIT, I thought you might light to see what a "soft" border looks like.

Apart from the road signs switching from KPH to MPH (and vice-verse when you go South), that really is it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ebay Sales
As it turned out, my latest round of sales ended while I was in a pub in Maguiresbride following the church service on Thursday evening.

Which, combined with dodgy WiFi at my B&B, meant I couldn't message the buyers until I got back on Saturday morning.

Thankfully, I had actually promised to post everything else out on Saturday and was still able to make that deadline.

One more free item
My last round of tidying up uncovered the original heater from my Spitfire 1500 donor.

As I can 100% guarantee that is works properly, although I think it does, I didn't want to list it on Ebay.

I've tried to give it away via Rods 'n' Sods as collection only, but with no joy so far.

So if anyone here wants to collect it for free from the Wembley area just let me know.

Alternatively, I could attempt to wrap it and post it, but would have to charge, as it is a big & awkward thing.

With a bit of luck I will be able to spend some time on the car next week.

Until then, take care, Paul.
Old 25th March 2019, 14:36

deni is on a distinguished road
Default Spitfire heater

Hi Paul,

If you don't mind wrapping up and sending the heater you've offered, I would be happy to pay for postage. My car have a Spitfire 1500 engine, so it would suit it perfectly

Let me know.

Thank you.

Cheers, Deni.
Old 26th March 2019, 16:33

Deni - I've got as far as wrapping and boxing the heater…

... so it should be in the post tomorrow.

Lost In Bedford
I know Mister Towed used Brockwell's for his tonneau cover, but they are based in Norfolk.

So I'd thought I try to find an alternative car trimmer a bit closer to home.

Unfortunately, the nearest one I found in Park Royal had a look and then said no.

So today, I headed to Bedford to see Trimmer #2, but got hideously lost on the way.

As I was trying to use paper directions that referred to road names in an area where there were no road name signs!

Note to self - Upgrade your old phone to one that is smart enough to run a Sat Nav type App on it.

In the end, I had to buy a map with road names on it to find the place.

A very friendly place, but the fact I could see 2 x Aston Martins, 2 x 911s, 1 x Lotus, etc. meant I knew it wasn't a cheap place.

Still, at least I have not got a quote to compare other prices too.

Thankfully, I managed to find my way home without any further detours.

But after over 120 miles, I was pretty cold, so just one quick photo when I pulled into Sainsbury's.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Look what arrived from Micky1Mo today.

Old 27th March 2019, 10:37

deni is on a distinguished road

Deni - I've got as far as wrapping and boxing the heater…

... so it should be in the post tomorrow.

Thank you very much Paul, no rush and good luck with sourcing the tonneau cover.

Cheers, Deni

P.S. The Swordfish looks so smart on the photo.
Old 4th April 2019, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni View Post
The Swordfish looks so smart on the photo.
Deni - Cheers.

Although, as they say in America, it really just has a 50/50 finish.

So it looks good at either 50 feet, or 50 mph.

Quick Car Update
So much for the sunshine we were enjoying a while back.

This was a shower of hailstones hitting the car cover the other day.

Unfortunately, other stuff has been getting in the way of actually driving, or working on, the car.

Spring Cleaning
I've now ordered a new garden shed, which requires a final push on the tidying up front.

So I dug out another collection of cannibalised fibreglass parts for the dump.
( The plastic bag contains two old tarpaulins and an old garden furniture cover. )

This is the new shed.

https://www.diy.com/departments/10x6.../652947_BQ.prd

And the high windows will allow me to fit more storage shelves in the shed.

Which in turn will allow me more more stuff out of the Summerhouse into the shed.

Although the real goal is to have less stuff in the first place!

Panel Envy
I absolutely love the way Dale J has done his Formosa's inner wheel arches.

Plus the way it all ties in with the radiator shroud.

Inner wheel arches have been on my 'To do' list for a very long time.

So I will have a serious think about whether I am capable of creating something like this.

That's all for now, so until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 5th April 2019, 22:57

Friday
It may not look it, but the area behind the Summerhouse is now miles better than it was.

But the new shed will be here in just over two weeks, so I've still got a lot of work to do.

Despite this, I sneaked out in the car to meet my wife for lunch near where she works.

I guess I am old enough to remember when a Golf was considered a small car.

However, just to break my usual collection of car park photos, I took this one from a different angle.

The gathering clouds limited my scenic route home, so managed just under 20 miles.

Which was still enough for all the positive reactions I got to bring a smile to my face.

It certainly seemed to go down well with the crowds leaving Friday prayers.

Note: Other religions are available.

Old 9th April 2019, 13:36

It's a long story, so I'll fill you in later, but for now…

FREE - IKEA Pax Wardrobe with sliding doors.

Width = 200cm
Height = 202 cm
Depth = 66 cm

Comes with all the internal fittings in this photo.

Note:
One shelf is resting on top of the other, but fits where the tabs are showing below.

In order to move it, I've had to:
- Remove the two doors
- Remove the top & bottom door guides
- Separate it into two 100cm wide wardrobes

So it is now on the ground floor ready to be taken away and reassembled.
( I've even printed out re-assembly instructions complete with photos. )

We bought in 2009 and it is in pretty good condition.
( With just a few marks and blemishes from moving it. )

The local charity shop can only collect it late next week.

But I'd like it gone before the weekend is over if possible.

Collection from HA9 (between Wembley and Harrow).

Cheers, Paul.
Old 26th April 2019, 07:13

A Belated Happy Easter
Despite the absolutely glorious weather over the weekend, I only managed a single hour in the car.

The fact this drive involved a visit to B&Q should provide a small clue as to why I didn't have any spare time.

Yes, there has been some significant scope creep to my Spring Cleaning over the last few weeks.

But I'll cover that another day, as it reminds me why I am not driving the car more.

Instead, this post will celebrate the fact that even a short journey brings a smile to my face.

Whilst I am not really part of the Selfie generation, I did pull over and park to take this one.

Which shows just a light jumper required for an early morning drive in April.

By the time I was finished in B&Q, I was able to drive home in just a T-shirt.

I also jumped out of the car to take a couple of photos while I was at it.

In other car related news…

At least my Spring cleaning uncovered my guides to the what is behind the cockpit wall panelling.

Which I will use when I finally get around to adding aluminium sheet to the cockpit walls.

Not sure if a tax disc holder is much use to anyone these days.

But this would be free to a good home if it was.

Also, before I try my luck on Ebay, does anyone need a 1 inch lowering block and 6 x 5" studs?
( You only need 4 for a Spitfire 1500, but may need 6 for Heralds/other Spitfires. )

These were only used for a few hundred miles and are currently priced at Rimmer Bros for over £70.

So make me a decent offer and save a few quid.

At some point I'll cover the following:
- Old shed
- New shed
- Summerhouse
- Daughter's bedrooms x 2
- Mum's loft
- Garden furniture
- Garden fence panels
- Etc, etc.

But until then, take care, Paul.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:10

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

There should be a law against men having to leave seriously creative activities to indulge in trivial domestic chores. It has been good to get about in the fresh air topless. Even B&Q is better than nothing. Is that right, you are covering your daughters' bedrooms with exterior timbercare? Mine at least had newspaper on the walls!
Old 27th April 2019, 07:21

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul, have pm'd you regarding diff spacer.
Old 27th April 2019, 08:30

Dpaz - These cars really do come into their own in warm sunny weather.

Spring Cleaning - Part 1
The follow posts have nothing to do with my car, but they do remind me why I am not driving it more often.

Behind the Summerhouse:
This area has now gone from this.

To this.

And yes, I do know the fence panels and Summerhouse need painting.

A big step forward in this area was my decision to dump what remained of my Cordite framework.
( Having already cannibalised some of the box section earlier in my build. )

The harsh reality was that, in some places, this framework has rust appearing both inside and out.
( As it has been left outside under leaky tarpaulins for years. )

Thankfully, I've still got some fresh/unused lengths of box section inside the Summerhouse.
( Which I hope will be enough to help me build an inner wheel arch structure at some point. )

Old Shed
Whilst this didn't look too bad on the outside.

It was rotting away in places.

Which had left it 'listing' to starboard.

It took a lot of work to fully clear the shed, with extra jobs including dismantling my small storage unit.

As it was too big to bring out of the door and I didn't want to risk damaging it by dismantling the shed with it inside.

The dismantled shed in the garden.

After attacking it with my jigsaw, it was then carried through the house to the driveway.

After a bit more work with the jigsaw, I was able to divide this pile into two car loads for the dump.
( Which charged just over £40 in total to take it, which was miles cheaper than hiring a small skip. )

End of Part 1…
Old 27th April 2019, 08:30

Spring Cleaning - Part 2:

New Shed
My wife helped me carry all the pieces for the new shed through the house and onto the patio.

By the end of Day 1, we had the first 4 (of 10) panels treated.

By the end of Day 2, we had all 10 panels done.

Before assembly could finally begin on Day 3.
( Note: Because of the overlapping edges on the bottom of the panels they could not be stored the right way up. )

This was Bank Holiday Monday and by now it was clear that I had been sent the wrong instructions.

As the instructions were for a shed with an Apex roof, not the Pent roof that I had.

In addition, the instructions were pretty poor and in the end we could not work out the roof at all.

So it was Close, but no cigar and we had to leave the shed overnight with the two roof panels overlapping.

First thing on Tuesday morning I was in contact with the shed company trying to resolve the problem.

It was gone 2pm before they finally got back to to say the side panels were the wrong way around.

So the whole shed had to be dismantled and reassembled.

With rain promised on Wednesday this became a real race against time to get it all watertight.

Especially as I had to stop hammering at 8pm to avoid being an anti-social neighbour.

Thankfully, I had enough nails in the roof felt by then, that I could finish the roof on Thursday.

But I then had other problems with the glass vs. window frames and the door lock arrangement was a mess.

I guess they broke their chisel while working on this and simply decided to chew the rest of the wood off.

After a considerable amount of beard scratching and testing I was able to fix the problem:
- I removed the 'keep' completely, as this was designed for a door opening inwards and the shed door opened outwards.
- I used my own chisels to remove enough wood to provide clearance for the door catch to actually work.
- Finally, I made this metal plate for the door frame that will prevent the lock/latch wearing the wood away.

Thankfully, I was just about able to get to everything I needed for this job in the Summerhouse:
- Scrap metal
- Angle grinder
- Jigsaw
- Drill
- Hand files

This was easier said than done, as the Summerhouse is now jammed full with most of the stuff from the shed.

Unfortunately, I couldn't reach either the etch primer or paint, so that will be a job for another day.

I bought an off cut / remnant roll of vinyl lino, which I cut to shape and fitted on the shed floor.

Some replacement glass is on its way, but for now, the shed is finally done.

End of Part 2…
Old 27th April 2019, 08:31

Spring Cleaning - Part 3:

Summerhouse
I mentioned that this is now full of stuff that used to be stored in the shed.

My master plan will see most of the shelving from here get transferred to the new/bigger shed.

Which will, in turn, make the Summerhouse a much more usable space too.

However, after over 10 years of neglect, there was some restoration work to do.

So wood filler was appied to areas where cracks had started to appear.

You can also see how faded the green paint/wood preserve is.

So I've made a start on giving the whole exterior a couple of coats of wood preserve.

Between the shed, fence panels and the Summerhouse, it is no wonder I'm on my 3rd 9 litre tub of Timbercare.

This is still a work in progress, but it should look good when finished.

Fence Repairs
You may remember this photo of my fence line, as seen from my neighbour's side.

[/QUOTE]

It is a bit wonky to say the least and it slowly getting worse, resulting in one panel and one trellis falling out completely.

So I needed three sections of wood to extend the sides of the fence panel.

I also had to build an extended Frankenstein trellis from a collection of 'left overs'.

After that was treated, it could all be slotted back into place.

If you look closely at the edges, you can see how the extension pieces work.

At some point, all of the concrete fence posts will need to be removed and reset.

But that is a HUGE job and one for another day/year.

End of Part 3…
Old 27th April 2019, 08:32

Spring Cleaning - Part 4:

Garden Furniture
The good news is that I could take advantage of the Easter weekend weather to oil these.

The bad news is that while they were drying the sun, the wind caught one of the shed panels left on the patio.
( By that time, we had 8 panels around the lawn getting painted and 2 still to do. )

Sure enough, the sickening crashing/cruching sound meant that the edge of one chair went through a wall of the new shed.

Thankfully the damage was limited and I've already painted a repair panel, which I can fix in place now the shed is up.

Water Feature
I normally use oiling the garden furniture as a sign to top up and switch on the water feature.

But something was amis, as I could see water being pumped, but it didn't 'overflow' the way it should.

So I removed the layer of slate that hides a 'shelf' for the water to gather and discovered it was rotton.

This photo was taken after I had pressed down on the plywood and it had just crumbled away.

So I will build a new shelf using some fibreglass matting I have left over.

Clothes Line
One slight technical hitch with my new shed is that it is two feet longer than the old one.

This means it now fouls the clothes line that previously had plenty of room in front of the shed.

So I need to fit a new post holder in a different part of the garden fit a clothes line to match the distances between the posts.

Picking up the parts for this is my first chore for today and it is already lashing down with rain outside.

And finally…

Dry Stone Walling Course
Before I knew I would be working my ar$e off Spring Cleaning I had booked myself on a one day course on 13th April.

It was a really good day and I learnt a lot about something that has always fasinated me.

It also gave me a much better appreciation about the time, effort & materials needed to build one of these.

I think that is more than enough excuses for not driving my car more.

It also explains why I am currently aching all over, as this has been very hard physically.

Old 27th April 2019, 12:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Paul, don't dump your chopped up frame, offer it to the Tate Modern. You should get about £3.5 million...
Old 27th April 2019, 13:13

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul, Dry stone walling, very therapeutic and mind clearing total concentration, only pick up a stone once. Also, the physical tiredness really needs a pint or two to aid muscle relaxation. With your new shed, I recommend insulating it inside and carpeting the floor. Good on you for the domestic stuff, getting a few brownie points.
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:26

Mr T - If only you had told me the frame work was worth £3.5m before I put it in the scrap metal pile.

Dpaz - The 'only pick up a stone once' theory works well if you know what you are doing, but I clearly had a lot to learn.

Thankfully, the shed will be OK without any insulation and the vinyl floor works well for a lawn mower with wheels covered in grass.

Water Feature Repairs
Previously, I posted a photo of some rotting plywood, which I worked out had lasted almost 20 years, so not a bad effort.

But it was now time for my attempt at rebuilding this to last the next 20 years!

So I made a cardboard template and covered it with brown parcel tape & cut out some fibreglass matting.

In the end, I added a few more layers of matting using various strips and odd shapes to give me this.

Once that was set, I used my jigsaw to cut around the edge of the template, drilled a hole & removed the cardboard.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, as I attempted to fit this into place, it was clear I couldn't do it 'standing up'.

Which meant I had to remove the whole water feature from the ground.

The only good news about all this extra work was that it allowed me to remove all of the old plywood.

I then sanded and cleaned all the metal surfaces before fitting the fibreglass disc into place.

After putting some masking tape around the end of the water pipe I added some bonding paste.

I'd almost forgotten what a messy process using this stuff is.

That was left to fully set overnight, before another round of sanding and cleaning the metal.

Then it was time put the water feature back into place.
( Well, after treating the fence panel behind it, edging the lawn, weeding, etc. )

One of these days I will remember to document how I build up the base.
( As every time I've removed these big pieces, I can never seem to put them back together in the same way. )

The final job was to fill the area above the fibreglass with smaller pieces of slate.

This serves two functions:
- It hides all the working of the water feature.
- It also slows down the flow of the water so it just overflows over the sides.

Who knew the new skills I learned while building my car would come it so handy in the garden?

Old 2nd May 2019, 14:56

Barber is on a distinguished road

Well done Paul, a great opportunity to backward justify the expenditure that caused so much frisson when you were building the car (no doubt).

Today I used a sash cramp ("What on earth do you need that for?") to straighten the prongs on a garden fork that had become hideously deformed due to very stony ground, so one browny point to me.

I also cut and welded up a stand to allow storing bikes upright on their back wheel - it saves floorspace in the shed, and means I now have more room in the garage for the Lambretta project, as I can relocate the bikes to the shed.

I was supposed to be starting the dashboard swap on the Z3, but with rain forecast for the next couple of days, I wasn't sure this was the right time for that as it is best done with the roof down.

Also, your water feature gives me an idea for our own. The one in our last house was the slate obelisk type, but yours gives more scope for height variation. Food for thought. I never thought I could get my wife to look at this forum, so there's a first.
Old 3rd May 2019, 07:22

Barber – Funnily enough, I originally wanted a HUGE stone/slate obelisk type water feature.

But, apart from the cost, the main problem was getting it into the back garden through the house.
( The same reason I haven’t got a full size Easter Island head, which would have required a crane. )

In the end, we got this one at the Hampton Court Flower Show, as both my wife and I really liked it.

By chance, I also fitted a bicycle rack in my shed yesterday, as I want to make best use of all the space available too.

Hope all your projects work out well, cheers, Paul.
Old 9th May 2019, 14:28

Occasional Showers
After it absolutely lashed it down yesterday, I thought I'd take a chance this morning and sneak the car out to Sainsburys.

I then pushed my luck a little by heading to the garden centre too.

But, just as the dark clouds started to lighten up and I thought to myself the weather is improving, it rained!

So I had to park under a tree in the garden centre for some shelter and be quick with my shopping.

There was no escaping the rain on the way home, but it had stopped when I pulled into my driveway.

So I quickly wiped down the car with some kitchen roll.

Did I mention that the car needs to be washed at some point?

But no time for that now as it started to rain again and I quickly got the covers on.

Mondeo MOT
This was due towards the end of April and it was a tale of two halves…

Originally, it was all set to pass the MOT with flying colours and was just being reversed off the ramp…

When it decided to split a hose and dump its coolant all over the garage floor resulting in a fail.

The good news is that this was an easy fix.

But the even better news is that I was fearing an expensive fail (like my wife's Mirca) that would effectively write the car off.

At which point the Swordfish would need to be sold to fund a second hand family car.