Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Seven Style builds

Seven Style builds Westfields, Caterham, Dax Rush, Luego, Robin Hood, Tiger, Locust, MK, RAW, Quantum, you name it, you're building it, share it here.

Old 14th October 2008, 17:24

nutter426 is on a distinguished road
Default Westfield or Vindicator?

Hey Everybody
I'm looking at saving up for a kit car starter package, to build from a single donor, I don't want a Q plate. Unless I could build with all new components and get a new 58 plate (or whatever it is when I get it finished).

Many kits seem to need a 2 litre sierra, which look to be in short supply, and I can build the vindicator on a BMW base, which I think will be easier to get hold of.

Anyone got any comments about building either the vindicator or westfield?

There doesn't seem to be a lot between the base kit prices, so that isn't something that really concerns me.

I'm hoping to go on factory tours before I commit to either manufacturer, and have a while to decide while I save up.
Available from eBay
Old 14th October 2008, 19:42
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

The 7 sector has got a lot of manufacturers all wanting your hard earned cash so I wouldn't have just 2 on my list (unless you've already dismissed the others)

Vindicator will be down to personal taste. They are not my cup of tea but are highly regarded amongst owners and are well put together.

The Westfield would be where the 'sensible' money would go for want of a better term. You won't go far wrong and residuals should be ok.

For a full list of 7's look here (I must confess that the list isn't entirely up to date )

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitc...roduction=true

The ToniqR might be a consideration.

John
Old 15th October 2008, 18:39

I did have a look at all the feedback on that list. Cost is a consideration, and the westfield seems pretty competitive, and I like the FW rear body option. I also like that the basic kit seems to have most of what you need to build a rolling chassis with an engine in it. No seats or displays, and NOWHERE near SVA ready, but getting a long way nearer than you seem to be with some of the starting kits from other manufacturers.

The main attraction of the vindicator is the non-sierra donor, although the westfield can be built from an MX5 donor.

Some manufacturers have put me off by having shocking websites, and some without websites I've not looked at at all, suppose I should give a few a ring and talk to them.

Thanks for your advice John, what is it you don't like about the vindicator?
The Toniq-R isn't my taste in styling, and I would like not to have a Q-plated car, hence looking at single donor kits, since I won't be able to afford to use all new parts for a current dated plate
Old 15th October 2008, 22:58
Big Cheese

The Vindicator just isn't to my own personal taste, style wise, nothing actually against it.

Don't worry about the Q-plate issue. You don't need a single donor build to avoid the Q plate anymore, in fact it's probably quite difficult to get issued a Q plate nowadays.

Generally kits will use an engine/gearbox and one or two suspension components from a donor car as a minimum and thats all you'll need to avoid a Q plate. Just make sure you have the donor car V5 to prove that you've used it (and take pictures of your build) and you will avoid the Q plate.

Cheers, John
Old 15th October 2008, 23:19

So as far as you are aware, if a westfield multi donor kit was used, but the engine, gear box and rear axle come from the same donor which I have a V5 for, I should get to keep the age-related plate?
Old 15th October 2008, 23:24
Big Cheese

You probably won't get to keep the donor reg number but will get an age related plate from the DVLA. If you are thinking of the MX5 based Westfield in particular, give them a ring to confirm how they have got on with the registration process with it.
Old 15th October 2008, 23:27

Well the MX5 Westfield is an SDV kit, so shouldn't be a problem. I know the Westfield brochure I have says the non SDV kits would be registered on a Q plate.
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:50
Enthusiast

Vindi_Andy is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old ish thread but ive not been on here for a while.

As you may gather I am a Vindicator owner. The main reasion for my choice was the fact I could get a 4 seat 7 esque sportscar. I had to have 4 seats the Management put her foot down and said I could only have a kit if it had 4 seats and I didnt want an old fashioned roadster style one hence the sprint family from Vindicator. Anyway I digress.

what john I think is trying to say in a very politic way is that to most 7 lovers the sprint leaves a lot to be desired in the styling stakes for many. But as said there are some who love it. Personnally my choices were limited by certain aspects like yours, and the styling isnt exactlyto my tastes But beggars can't be choosers

The advantage of Vindicator, the company not the car, is they are flexible, if you want an unusual donor they will do their best to accomodate it and will engineer things around you obviously at a premium. However they have developed the Sprint to take the BMW as a donor and if you dont want a 7 then talk to John Butler about a BMW powered Shadow.