Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 16th November 2004, 13:20
Kit Car Dreamer

Neil is on a distinguished road
Default Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi everyone

I'm seriously considering building a Marlin Sportster and I'd appreciate some honest advice as to wether this is a good choice for my first build. I love the look of the car and I could spend a total of £10-11K for everything including a decent engine/wheels and tyres etc. Is this realistic?

Although I'm pretty competent technically, I haven't worked on a car for years (company cars mean dealer servicing/repairs and breakdowns mean hire cars) so my chief worry about building is could I make a decent job of it.

Critical for me is the quality of the instructions/build manual provided, and the after sale helplines etc. Are these up to scratch for a complete novice like me? Does everything fit together or do I need to modify metalwork/bodywork etc?

I have tons of questions/concerns, but I figure that if I at least make the right choice of car, everything else will come together in time.

I'd really appreciate your advice, I really want to do this and hopefully you'll remember your early concerns and take pity on me.
Available from eBay
Old 22nd November 2004, 17:16
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Marlin Sporster

Hi Neil

I have just started my build. I am using an E30 donor. Everything seems pretty straightforward up until now with just one or two "issues" to sort out. Only time will tell if it goes smoothly thru' to the end.

The E30 is pretty simple mechanically with just the sloght complication of an engine ECU. Some otherv guys are using an E36 donor and things don't seem to quite so easy.

I guess about 10k is right for a build as long as you don't get silly with the extras. You are gonna be spending it over a period of at least a year so that makes it not feel quite so bad.

If you want a chat then send me a personal mail to martinclan@tiscalli.co.uk and I will mail you back my phone number.

Got to go now - I need to order some nuts and bolts....

Robin
Old 22nd November 2004, 20:42
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Never thought about this before, but I have a BMW 320i (E30). Head has gone, but otherwise it is sound.

It will turn over, nothing is seized etc.

If anyone wants to make me an offer?