Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 17th July 2015, 09:20

morris is on a distinguished road

The insurance company have offered me 1500 for the car and 300 to buy back so 1200 if I keep it. It owes me too much not to buy back as I've spent thousands over the last 4 years just on parts let alone the hours I've put in. It's got all new suspension (everything, not just springs & dampers), brakes, cooling system. Once it had finished its towing duties after the Marlin's on the road, I was thinking of putting it up for sale anyway, but hoping to get more like 2K. Even that would have been gutting but the market is not good at the moment.

My other option is to just buy a temporary alternative E46, fit the tow bar and then part this one out, either for sale or my own parts bin. I'll invest nothing in the replacement other than to ensure it will make the trips it needs to and sell it straight on.

I've been quoted just under £260 for the parts I need to put the car back together (pair of headlamps, slam panel & ducting, bonnet, bumper reinforcement bar) and there's bound to be a few other bits n bobs.
Old 21st August 2015, 19:03

Just got back from the DVSA centre in Cardiff with a Pass.

There were a few bits that were still touch and go. I had a different examiner this time, older guy, and he looked at some of the original failure points and thought they were a bit petty and wouldn't have worried him. He did however start picking up on other stuff he didn't like but as it was a retest said it was unfair to pull me up on. One thing was the angle of the rear light clusters pointing up at 45 degrees rather than rearwards.

- near side mirror was still right on the limit of not giving the correct angle but he was happy to accept with a bit of head movement. He then checked the other mirrors and said he could see the necessary view in the rear view so didn't understand why the other examiner couldn't.

- Rear brakes - still not brilliant but my swap with the discs, calipers and pads from my daily driver was enough for me to hit the 62% efficiency mark.

- Rear trailing arms - not that impressed with the two layers of heat shrink over the exposed areas but as I'd done what the other guy asked, accepted.

- side repeaters - he didn't like where I'd put them as they were partly obscured by the edging strip on the wheel arch but they were visible so he couldn't fail it. Recommended putting them on the top side of the front wing instead as then there could be no doubt (I'm not drilling any more holes)

The other major issue of the tie rods catching the wheels was now fine but he couldn't understand why the previous examiner had used that as a reason not to do the self centring test. His opinion was that you just needed to 1/4 turn the steering wheel and see if it centred, not put it on full lock as people tend to think as most production cars won't centre from that position. Anyway, it passed that test fine.

So, now I just need to figure out how to navigate the mine field that is registration.
Old 21st August 2015, 19:27

Bobnic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Just got back from the DVSA centre in Cardiff with a Pass.

There were a few bits that were still touch and go. I had a different examiner this time, older guy, and he looked at some of the original failure points and thought they were a bit petty and wouldn't have worried him. He did however start picking up on other stuff he didn't like but as it was a retest said it was unfair to pull me up on. One thing was the angle of the rear light clusters pointing up at 45 degrees rather than rearwards.

- near side mirror was still right on the limit of not giving the correct angle but he was happy to accept with a bit of head movement. He then checked the other mirrors and said he could see the necessary view in the rear view so didn't understand why the other examiner couldn't.

- Rear brakes - still not brilliant but my swap with the discs, calipers and pads from my daily driver was enough for me to hit the 62% efficiency mark.

- Rear trailing arms - not that impressed with the two layers of heat shrink over the exposed areas but as I'd done what the other guy asked, accepted.

- side repeaters - he didn't like where I'd put them as they were partly obscured by the edging strip on the wheel arch but they were visible so he couldn't fail it. Recommended putting them on the top side of the front wing instead as then there could be no doubt (I'm not drilling any more holes)

The other major issue of the tie rods catching the wheels was now fine but he couldn't understand why the previous examiner had used that as a reason not to do the self centring test. His opinion was that you just needed to 1/4 turn the steering wheel and see if it centred, not put it on full lock as people tend to think as most production cars won't centre from that position. Anyway, it passed that test fine.

So, now I just need to figure out how to navigate the mine field that is registration.
Great News! Hopefully you can get the car registered quicker than we managed it. It took 9 weeks! Caught the DVLA just as it all had to go to Swansea, no local office could be used, as it had been shut down! Hopefully they've got more efficient at it!
Once again, great job, and great to hear another Sportster will soon be hitting the road!

Rob

Last edited by Bobnic; 21st August 2015 at 22:07..
Old 22nd August 2015, 18:40

Well, it seems the first registration hurdle is getting the forms in the first place. You can download the V627/1 build declaration but not the V55/5 registration which seems bizarre. I'm assuming V55/5 is the right one and not V55/4 but the terminology "Kit converted vehicle" which is what the Marlin qualifies as is not used for either. V55/5 covers rebuilt vehicles so gut instinct is that's the right one.

You have to send the registration fee of £55 (fair enough) but also the tax for the period you want cover. Until the car is registered and I have the V5C how do I know what the tax bill is? I can guess and assume it's pre-2001 rules, but that's an assumption. I may have to pay the 2015 tax band for the emissions bracket for all I know (hope not).

The V627/1 asks for receipts for parts so I can just send the same set I used on the IVA form but they also want "build plans". BUILD PLANS! If I'd had some of those it may not have taken me 4+ years to finish the thing. Do they assume everyone's built a westfield/airfix style kit? I think that may end up an "N/A" unless anyone has some better advice.
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:49
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, it seems the first registration hurdle is getting the forms in the first place. You can download the V627/1 build declaration but not the V55/5 registration which seems bizarre. I'm assuming V55/5 is the right one and not V55/4 but the terminology "Kit converted vehicle" which is what the Marlin qualifies as is not used for either. V55/5 covers rebuilt vehicles so gut instinct is that's the right one.

You have to send the registration fee of £55 (fair enough) but also the tax for the period you want cover. Until the car is registered and I have the V5C how do I know what the tax bill is? I can guess and assume it's pre-2001 rules, but that's an assumption. I may have to pay the 2015 tax band for the emissions bracket for all I know (hope not).

The V627/1 asks for receipts for parts so I can just send the same set I used on the IVA form but they also want "build plans". BUILD PLANS! If I'd had some of those it may not have taken me 4+ years to finish the thing. Do they assume everyone's built a westfield/airfix style kit? I think that may end up an "N/A" unless anyone has some better advice.

DVLA are not there to make it easy!
V55/5 is correct
Pre 2001 will be correct too.
Send them a link to your Flickr account too, with a typical phot scanned and copied
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:27
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Congratulations and a big well done for getting your IVA pass.
Those guys at Cardiff certainly didn't give you an easy ride but you can be satisfied you've built a car that has passed the toughest inspection.

When applying for your registration don't forget that your dealing with civil servants and not necessarily kit car fanatics. A small picture story of the key build stages (donor car, donor engine removal, bare chassis, rolling chassis, engine installed, etc etc) should make it easy for them to understand what you have built.) I made up a little word document with a short description under each picture. A link to your Flickr account adds further evidence but you shouldn't expect them to have to wade through your thousands of photo's.
I also included a checklist of all the documents, forms, etc I included in the application.
Hopefully it will get done quickly to give you a few weeks of summer fun

Last edited by peterux; 23rd August 2015 at 21:09.. Reason: Cardiff, not Swansea!
Old 26th August 2015, 08:47

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Well done, good luck with the registration.
Old 26th August 2015, 22:15

I did a set of photos and description in a word doc for the IVA application so should be able to just reuse that. Can't do anything until the forms arrive so using the time to finish off some stuff I couldn't do prior to the test such as fitting my aero screens, swapping the e36 brakes back on, fitting some even wider spacers on the back wheels and scratching my head wondering where all the nasty bits of rubber trim that were adorning the car a few days ago could possibly have disappeared to
Old 26th August 2015, 23:30

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian
I've just caught up with this. Many congratulations. A job well done and thoroughly worth an IVA pass.
And now the school holidays are almost over, no doubt the sun will shine and you'll be able to get out there and enjoy it.
Great news. Make the most of it for a couple of months before the summer ends.

Nigel
Old 27th August 2015, 07:18
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Well done!

Now comes the ludicrous situation of having to trailer the car to the DVLA, after being allowed to drive it all the way and back to the IVA test.
Old 30th August 2015, 11:04

Registration Forms turned up yesterday. Most of it is pretty straight forward and I found some online advice for a slightly older version here:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index....vla-form-v555/

The one question I'm unsure on is the Tax Class to use, The guidance with the form says PLG before 2001 or Petrol after 2001. I've entered the first reg date as the date on the IVA form but want to pay tax as for a pre-2001 car.

I'm tempted to leave this field blank and include a note in the covering letter. Can anyone who's recently registered a car tell me what they put in this field to successfully get an age related plate and pay the old tax bands?

Also, for the built up vehicle form I've claimed
Chassis - marlin VIN - New
Axles (both) - No ID - From E36 Donor
Transmission - No ID - From a different E46 Donor
Steering Assembly - No ID - From E36 Donor
Engine - Engine # - From E36 Donor
Suspension (front and back) - no ID - New

I bought my gearbox from Peter but the source is unknown. My spare (identical) gearbox is from a known E46 coupe so I'll reg it with that. I can't claim front and rear suspension from the donor but think I can on the axles if you assume the stub axles on the front. Steering is a bit iffy as the column is from the donor but the rack is not. Have others done similar or been more/less economical with the truth?

thanks
Ian

Last edited by morris; 30th August 2015 at 11:18..
Old 30th August 2015, 18:28
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Registration Forms turned up yesterday. Most of it is pretty straight forward and I found some online advice for a slightly older version here:

The one question I'm unsure on is the Tax Class to use, The guidance with the form says PLG before 2001 or Petrol after 2001. I've entered the first reg date as the date on the IVA form but want to pay tax as for a pre-2001 car.

I'm tempted to leave this field blank and include a note in the covering letter. Can anyone who's recently registered a car tell me what they put in this field to successfully get an age related plate and pay the old tax bands?

I bought my gearbox from Peter but the source is unknown. My spare (identical) gearbox is from a known E46 coupe so I'll reg it with that. I can't claim front and rear suspension from the donor but think I can on the axles if you assume the stub axles on the front. Steering is a bit iffy as the column is from the donor but the rack is not. Have others done similar or been more/less economical with the truth?

thanks
Ian
Personally, I wouldn't confuse the issue by saying your gearbox is from a different car. Your axles are definitely from your donor car and surely your rear suspension is as well?
Old 30th August 2015, 18:38

If my donor was a manual I wouldn't think twice about mentioning the E46 box, but it was an auto (and says so on the V5C I also have to send them) so no avoiding it really.

The build up report no longer lets you claim provenience of axles and suspension separately for either end of the car. It's both or nothing. I've put a note in the general comments section stating that the rear suspension is from the BMW and the front provided with the kit but I don't know if that will count towards the points (can't hurt to mention it though).

cheers
Ian
Old 2nd September 2015, 20:22
Enthusiast

Quote:

thanks
Ian
Ian

Is the form still a V627/1 ?

I left the Tax classification blank and added a note asking for advice - they will return the form and you'll have to fill it in again after they have told you!
Mine cost £225 in Feb 2014.

My Cabrio was based on a Ford Sierra, so I had even less of the donor in my finished car than you, but still got an age related plate based on the parts I did have from the Sierra, which are much the same as your BMW donor.

Where they ask for Serial/ ID Number for the various parts I gave them my donor (Sierra) serial number, rather than say NO ID. Your parts are from your donor, and it's ID number is not wrong in those boxes. I did this for Axles, Steering Assembley, and Suspension, and gave the registration number of the donor.
Why do you say you can not claim the suspension is not from your donor? - The rear is straight from the donor. The front presumably used the front hubs, brakes, steering arm, so why not say you used the original BMW suspension - mine was accepted on the same basis as yours has been built.
I had to declare my engine and transmission was from a BMW as I had been able to get through the emissions on the basis of my engine being pre- August 1995.

Under any other information I stated I would like to apply for an age related plate on the basis that I had a new chassis and used more than two major components from my donor.
Remember, the guys processing your application know a lot less than you might think - they do not come across many kit cars, so do not know the rules well, or even at all.

I can email you a scan of my V627/1 if you would like it?

Mike
Old 2nd September 2015, 22:47

Hi Mike, yes it's still the V627/1. There was a separate column to fill in with the reg of the vehicle the various parts came from so I did that correctly but just not the serial number for each component with the exception of the engine number.

I guess the issue of what came from the donor is down to your definition of what is suspension and what is an axle. I'd classed the suspension as the springs, dampers, anti roll bars and arms but the axles as the hubs, drive shafts, stub axle etc. Basically everything else. The front of the sportster definitely doesn't use any arms, springs or dampers from the donor but does use the stub axle and the remains of a strut. I agree that the rear axle and suspension is all from the donor but the fact they want a yes/no answer to both axles rather than separately doesn't help in our case as it's a bit of pick and mix on the front. I'm sure that you previously could state the front and back separately. It's all left open to interpretation both with the person filling it out and the person assessing the application which is not very good really.

The application went in as is yesterday so we'll have to see how it goes. If they reject it because it's filled in wrong, I'll just have to correct and send back.

There is a statement with the V55/5 form saying that it's a very general form to cover all different types of registration application so you'd think, in that case, they'd have some flexibility on the info they're sent... but I won't hold my breath.

I'll argue for an age related plate but not at the expense of getting the car on the road. If you're building a replica I can see why a non Q plate would be desirable but in my case it's obviously a kit car so no point in getting embarrassed about the letters on the plate.

cheers
Ian
Old 4th September 2015, 10:51
Enthusiast

Good luck................and be prepared to wait!

Mine took weeks, and others have taken longer.....and when you chase it up, be prepared for them to say they have lost your application, or "It hasn't arrived on my desk yet....!"
Old 15th September 2015, 18:15

It seems you are spot on Mike. Having left it two weeks and hearing nothing I thought I'd give DVLA a call. I was pleasantly surprised that the phone was answered within a few seconds (to the wrong person of course who then put me through to the "right" person). After going on hold a few times and filling in the blanks of my details I was told that no case had currently be raised against my details but that it normally takes 4-6 weeks for the kit conversion dept to process applications. I'm pretty sure that the "kit conversion" department is probably one person who only works Mondays and Wednesdays and is surrounded by a pile of unopened envelopes.

I explained that I didn't mind the time to process but was put out that I hadn't even received an acknowledgement to put my mind at rest that my driving licence and far more valuable IVA certificate had not been lost in the post. The fact that the very first question I was asked before my name etc. was whether I had proof of posting, did little to assuage my fears. Apparently there is no direct line to the right department and the contact centre are not able to chase applications, but they are the right people to call if I have any questions. They just won't be able to answer them.

I had a quick look at the DVLA complaints process to see if I could at least get confirmation of receipt that way but they promise a response within 2 weeks. May as well wait in that case.
Old 16th September 2015, 09:43
Enthusiast

Ian

This guy processed my application:

Keith Nicholas
Tel: 01792 786896

I suspect he only works part time.

You could try him..............?
Old 23rd September 2015, 18:59

Some good news.

I tried DVLA again yesterday and they confirmed a case had been opened for my reg application (so not lost in the post). I also was contacted by someone from the kit & rebuilt dept later to say that everything in my application was fine apart from the kit receipts not showing the VIN number for the chassis or confirming that the chassis was part of the kit (it just says module 1, 2 etc).

I thought I'd have to give Marlin a call and ask Terry to send a letter out but I found the delivery note/part sign off sheet from when I picked the chassis up and that did have a full list plus the VIN. Emailed that to DVLA and they said they'll accept on this occasion though normally they want the certificate of newness from the manufacturer (thought that was just if you were after a current plate).

So, one to prepare for if anyone else is getting to this stage soon, better to get the info off the kit manufacturer up front. It doesn't actually say you need this type of evidence on the application guidance which doesn't help, just 'receipts for major parts'.

They've also confirmed I'll get an age related plate and won't need to tow it to get inspected again , though I'll be suspicious about the latter until the V5 is in my hand.
Old 30th September 2015, 18:12

V5c turned up today with my K reg number. That's 3 weeks to get to the right person and 1 week turn around from that point so it's not the K&R dept that drag their heels but someone in the DVLA post room.

Unfortunately, my local number plate making up place is closed for the night and there's an important Wales game tomorrow evening that will demand a trip to the pub so it will be the weekend now before I get chance to go out for a drive and scare myself silly

I'm going to have to find something new to do with myself now. A V8 conversion on my 325 touring has been lingering at the back of my mind for some time now. I've also been spending an unhealthy amount of time looking at Gardner Douglas T70 build websites. I suppose I should focus on clearing some kit car related debt first though.