Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 31st May 2019, 13:45

Bellicose is on a distinguished road

Fibreglass

Will I got some Woven Roving Fibreglass to start covering my wire frame, this will have a small amount of resin painted on it to create the base over the wire frame that I can build on with foam and filler.

Here is an image of the fibreglass just laying on the frame, it gives an idea of the shape of the car.

Last edited by Bellicose; 8th June 2019 at 23:22..
Old 31st May 2019, 13:50

More Welding and back on to foam work!

Well after a few weeks of not having the space to carry on with the project I have now been able to get some decent work done!

I mirrored the wire frame onto the passenger side and then started to clamp strips of fibreglass material to the wire frame. Once it was all clamped in place I covered the fibreglass in resin. Now this was done to give me a base to put the expanding foam on. It worked well, and meant I had a decent start with the foam and also pointed out a few problems with my design/framework.

As you can see, the "tunnels" behind the headrests are WAY too pronounced and it's starting to look like the Bat Mobile! Not what I'm trying to achieve!

But that's fine, I can build up the foam to lessen the effect of the tunnels. Funny how in framework it looks fine, but soon as there's a solid mass to look at the appearance changes completely.

So onto the foam!

Last edited by Bellicose; 8th June 2019 at 23:22..
Old 1st June 2019, 11:55

This morning has been all about the sanding and shaping. Using the air sanders I've been cutting back the foam and bringing the shape out that I want for the car.

Here is the first side profile view

It's getting there and needs a lot of work but you can see where it's trying to go now and the proportions.

I'm stopping for now though as I need to start working on the boot and working out exactly how it's going to look and work. I'm keeping the existing boot hinges and lock system in place so working round those.
Old 7th June 2019, 08:46

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Bellicose – Looks like you are making good progress.

Are you going to use the foam as a 'buck' to make the final body in fibreglass?

Good luck, Paul.
Old 7th June 2019, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Bellicose – Looks like you are making good progress.

Are you going to use the foam as a 'buck' to make the final body in fibreglass?

Good luck, Paul.
Hey Paul, yes. Everything you see at the moment is purely to take moulds from. Once that's done everything will be stripped off the car and the fibreglass panels will be attached to make the new body.
Old 7th June 2019, 19:53
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

following with interest
Old 8th June 2019, 18:00

Today I've spent some time adjusting the side design and adding some details.

It's all photoshop and going to change a lot once on the car but it's showing the shape come to life more and more.

Old 9th June 2019, 14:12

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

interesting!
Old 11th February 2020, 11:16

Been a long time since I did my last update.

Not a great deal has happened to be honest, life and the wife have scuppered my plans to work every weekend on the car.

This is how the car looks as of today, you have to use a bit of imagination with the cutting discs for lights and a spirit level for a spoiler lol

The shape is getting there and looking more and more how I want it to. Changed my mind on the rear lights (again!) and going for round LED lights.

I don't think i'm too far off taking my first mould and can then cut out the boot and start on that side of things.

Old 11th February 2020, 11:39

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Interesting work you're doing there. Do the panels unbolt from the donor, so that once the buck is made (and mould lifted from that) the GRP will just bolt on, replacing the originals? Bonding on to existing panels is IMHO to be avoided if possible.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
Interesting work you're doing there. Do the panels unbolt from the donor, so that once the buck is made (and mould lifted from that) the GRP will just bolt on, replacing the originals? Bonding on to existing panels is IMHO to be avoided if possible.
It will be a little of both.

The whole front will be able to bolt on to existing bolt holes.

The rear will have a metal frame created that will bolt onto exiting bolt holes in the rear, the rear body will then bolt to this framework and be bonded in small areas where any other attachment would be difficult.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:23

Your method of using framework and woven roving appears good, and it's great to see 'out of the box' thinking. Did you consider using foam panels to get to the shape? the foam spray is very expensive (I know from experience ), and the foam sheet is so light it can self-support. Foam panels (sold as builder's insulation) isn't too expensive, and can be glued on with your foam after the paper and/or foil sheet is removed (that process is very smelly for some reason!)
Old 11th February 2020, 12:27

Quote:
Your method of using framework and woven roving appears good, and it's great to see 'out of the box' thinking. Did you consider using foam panels to get to the shape? the foam spray is very expensive (I know from experience ), and the foam sheet is so light it can self-support. Foam panels (sold as builder's insulation) isn't too expensive, and can be glued on with your foam after the paper and/or foil sheet is removed (that process is very smelly for some reason!)
I did but I like the easy of foam, both the application and shaping is great and takes very little time, also if you make a mistake you can fix it quickly.

Cost wise I've used £70 in foam so far, I buy in bulk on ebay. I think it will be around £100 total for the whole car which isn't too much at all.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellicose View Post
I did but I like the easy of foam, both the application and shaping is great and takes very little time, also if you make a mistake you can fix it quickly.

Cost wise I've used £70 in foam so far, I buy in bulk on ebay. I think it will be around £100 total for the whole car which isn't too much at all.
Fair comment. How are you planning on getting a smooth finish to mould off?
Old 11th February 2020, 12:54

Quote:
Fair comment. How are you planning on getting a smooth finish to mould off?
Buckets of bodyfiller! Then primer, then a top coat.

Again, Ebay bulk buying works out really cheap. £100 for 20 litres which is enough for the whole car.