Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 14th July 2011, 09:31

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Mulberrys general overall shininess got me thinking that it was about time i started putting the shiny bits on my car! Not that I'm jealous or anything

So here's a pic of the new shiny rear exhaust box fitted, the style was chosen by the wife and i think she chose very well!

Note: In order to avoid any problems with the nice man from VOSA, the mounting bar and support brackets have all been fitted in such a way as to not have to alter the original chassis.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:37

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Looking good Dave

Could you use a flash, next time....

Is anyone out there going to use 15" rims? I feel that this will feel more 50's.
Also what size steering wheel?
Old 14th July 2011, 12:49

All photos are taken on phone (and normally as I'm packing away for the night), so no flash I'm afraid.

I'm using 15" wheels, they do look very nice and if i get the engine started and the car out of the garage this weekend i'll get some pics.

I think i went for a 14" steering wheel in order to give me a bit more legroom, although I'll have to double check.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:45

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Could you use a flash, next time....

Is anyone out there going to use 15" rims? I feel that this will feel more 50's.
Also what size steering wheel?
66 is on 15's .....Peter Winston's Vitesse is on 15's as well as a few others ....
Old 15th July 2011, 17:56

Windscreen initially fitted last night but everything still needs trimming etc.

Dashboard starting to come together, new tunnel being trimmed and fitted, Vitesse steering wheel back in for the time being and TBH looks quite good!

The final exhaust bits turned up today so hopefully i'll be able to fire up the engine some time this weekend.
Old 16th July 2011, 19:37

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Dave , I really like the Vitesse Banjo wheels - might be an issue with leg room on yours though ....I think they are just so period correct...
Old 16th July 2011, 21:19

Default Is Dave really tall?

What is the problem?
Gary.
Old 17th July 2011, 08:06

6'2"

Now that i'm sorting the interior i keep test fitting the drivers set in order to make sure everything is perfectly set up for me.

So-far i've chosen instrument placing etc. with the new wood rim wheel in place but i've taken that out and wrapped it up so that i don't damage it during the final stages of the build. Only to find out that the original Vitesse wheel is actually quite nicely suited to the Sammio shell and also worth a few bob as well! If i hadn't already splashed out on the wood wheel I'd seriously be in two minds over it now that i've seen the Vitesse one!
Old 21st July 2011, 11:54

VOSA done!

I'm no longer the owner of a Triumph Vitesse, but i am now the proud owner of a Sammio Spyder!
Well..... as soon as the V5 comes back!

It was a 10 hr day, 9 hrs of which was driving, but it was worth it! And despite the best efforts of the weather (it pished it down and completely soaked me! Twice!) there were no problems. Although quite how "a bit cloudy with a 20% chance of rain" turns out to be "torrential downpours at the most inopportune moments!" i don't know!

Car all loaded and wrapped up and ready to go. Actually i'm cheating here, this was taken when i got back, but it was such torrential rain when i was loading it, i was in no mood to take photos!

Stuart (top bloke!) doing his inspection while Gary and i watched on and got thoroughly soaked. Note the look of enjoyment Gary has on his face! MANY MANY MANY thanks to him for this!

And when i got home it finally stopped raining enough for me to unload it!
Now officially a Sammio Spyder

As i knew that i'd be leaving Somerset i even took my passport with me, but i wasn't asked for it once? odd
Old 21st July 2011, 19:27

mulberry is on a distinguished road

oh dave thats great news, guess i better pull my finger out of my ear and get move on,but im off for weeks holls, yep that add xtra week to my build not that i need any help, hey im the jealous one now dave.....oh and the sammio looks great....
Old 21st July 2011, 20:21

Default Doing well, Dave

How come the chassis sticks out the back?
Old 22nd July 2011, 05:30

Patton is on a distinguished road
Default shin bashers

Hi, you need to get vosa out the way before the rear outriggers ends "fall off" same for the round one at the front either side of the hinge points if they fall b4 vosa it's classed as a chassis mod then it moves into sva oooo just sent a shiver down me spine.Pat
Old 22nd July 2011, 05:32

Roadster is on a distinguished road

great job Dave - whats left to do?
Is it it just Paint and trim?
Have you chosen the colour yet?
Old 22nd July 2011, 08:38

Default Thanks Pat

I havn't noticed that on any pics before. So, do you save the piece you cut out and stick it back afterwards? Is there anything else like this to know?
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:01

The Chassis "mod" isn't really a mod, it's just a case of going with the system.

From what i've read, if you can get an 'expert' to attest to the fact that those bits aren't a structural component of the chassis and removing them doesn't affect the integrity of the chassis then they could be altered whenever you please and it wouldn't trouble VOSA at all. (NOTE: this is only my personal view based on some VOSA guidelines i've read!)

If you can't get that statement and you present it to VOSA for inspection with the ends of those pre-altered then it's completely up to the local inspectors interpretation of the regulations and how that applies to your particular chassis. TBH seeing as they are the end of the outriggers i'm pretty sure that 99 out of 100 inspectors would be more than happy with it, and probably the majority wouldn't even know that the outriggers had even been adjusted in the first place if they didn't know the Triumph chassis.

So seeing as the VOSA inspection is simply an inspection to confirm that you have re-bodied the existing chassis (in order to change the V5) and is not a mechanical inspection then simply leaving them sticking out is the simplest course of action all round.

TBH, i was considering using them to support a bumper at one point as they would be ideal for that.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
great job Dave - whats left to do?
Is it it just Paint and trim?
Have you chosen the colour yet?
Finish wiring up lights.
Wire in the instruments (the previous owner had cut them out! )
Lower front springs
Mount bonnet
Paint & Trim (Alfa Romeo red paint with a Black interior)

Oh..... and start the engine! i've changed the carbs back from twin SU's to twin Strombergs and i've also fitted a new alternator & Starter and tidied up the wiring and i haven't started it since all of that so fingers crossed!
Old 1st August 2011, 19:56

Just had a few days of crisis, as i tried to start the engine but everything was completely dead and i feared the worst, i.e. that the after market electronic ignition was dead

So i decided to be brave and i stripped all of the front loom apart and quickly found where the problems were. i.e. when one of the previous owners had done the alternator conversion they had made a number of..... interesting mods to the wiring loom!

Those have all now been ripped out and replaced with proper connections and wiring and I'm proud to say that 25 minutes ago, i started the engine for the first time!

And what a hell of a noise it makes

Last edited by davecymru; 1st August 2011 at 20:18..
Old 1st August 2011, 20:17

Roadster is on a distinguished road

its scary waiting to hear it start for the first time

But short of seeing my son born - there is nothing more i love than the first start of that project you have been working on .
hahaha and i bet the neighbours were all looking out of their windows

Well done another hurdle crossed.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:22

Anti-roll bar off and the parts have just arrived to fit new upgraded one.
The right shock is off.
BUT!
The bottom bolt of the Left shock is being a bit of a b@gger!
It looks as though the bolt has bent over time and despite having got the nut off and the liberal application of WD40 (i can now at least turn it with a lot of force) it's stubbornly refusing to come out.

Any suggestions on how to get it out would be greatly appreciated as i ideally wanted this done before i go on holiday next week so that i can return with just the body and trim to do.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:14

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Could you get a ball joint splitter on it and force it out?