Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 24th September 2007, 11:17
Kit Car Dreamer

Chris G is on a distinguished road
Default Rear engine mount

Hi,
Just come back from holiday and saw the letter from Norman dated 11-09-07 about the rear engine mount, checked mine, it had bent by 7mm, I have carried out the mod suggested by Norman. Has everyone else checked theirs?
Available from eBay
Old 24th September 2007, 12:48
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

Eddy's is the one that bent most recently causing his driveshaft to pop out, I have a different design on my car which is fine...
Rich

PS Surprised it has taken this long for Rolls Royce to moan about the name...
Old 30th September 2007, 00:00
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Can't comment on the engine mounts as mine are totally different but I do have a problem when going round right hand corners - the engine must move on the big rubber mounts so that one of the drive shaft tripode joints hit the end of the cups - lots of rattling and vibrations, worse the faster the corner is taken.
This is obviously down to me as I mocked up my drive shafts staticly in the garage and just made sure there was no binding when the suspension moved through its normal range - should have knocked maybe 5mm off the lengths to allow for lateral engine movement.
Don't fancy shelling out for another set of drive shafts so I will just stiffen up the engine mounts to reduce lateral movement.
Another litle job to add to the list for the winter / when I can be bothered - just happy to be driving around in it at the moment.
Old 10th March 2009, 18:52

Flip is on a distinguished road

I have a problem with driveshafts popping out. I have had new engine mounts from Norman but the engine does not sit square in the bay. The right hand side looks slightly forward.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:51
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

Flip - Which shaft popped out?
Mine was a combination of things, hard on the power, hit a bump HARD, and i think it was enough to make the engine move on the mounts a fair bit, bend the one of them and pop the joint out.
Old 19th April 2009, 20:04

Smile Spot on

Its very re-assuring to know that others have suffered the same fate as I have; not that I would wish it upon anyone.
The left hooker bit I understand but with the majority of the world driving on the other side of the road there is a missed opportunity. I just want Norman and Chris to be succesful.
My car is due to go to MOT very shortly. The steering is a bit stiff and that is the only item that may cause problems.
Once MOT'd I will try to drive it out to CZ but with no sound insulation it is going to be a bit noisy.
What about your engine positioning. Does yours look a bit forward on the right?
Happy driving and thanks for the re-assurance
Flip
Old 19th April 2009, 20:05

The right hand one.......Sorry missed the question
Old 19th April 2009, 23:22
Enthusiast

Interesting, it was the left one that popped out on mine. Have you got the slave shaft mounted correctly? should be a fairly big bearing housing that mounts to the block.

The steering shouldnt really be stiff, maybe at low speeds, but thats normal for a non power assisted car.

As for the engine positioning, can't say mine looks like its forward on any side.
You should try to get to the kit car show at Stoneleigh, will be more phantoms there so you can compare.

Get some temporary sound proofing (thick felt stuff) and carpet in for the drive out there, it makes a world of difference to the cabin noise, also make sure your heater intake is from the inner wing area, and you have the panel which closes the bonnet vents off from the load bay, otherwise you'll find the cabin starts to get pretty damn hot.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:28

Oops I am sorry to say that I got it wrong. Like yours it was the left side that popped out. Sorry
Old 15th July 2009, 09:00

It has happend again!!!!! The left hand drive shaft has popped out. It happened when there were two largish people in the car and, on this occassion, on an 'S' bend when wieght is being transferred across from right to left. I suspect the left suspension is rock bottom? Come to think of it there was a bump in the road whilst turning right. I have thought about lengthening the drive shaft. Anybody got any other suggestions?
Old 31st December 2009, 14:58

Default Finally solved the problem:

At last I have got round to looking at the driveshaft pop out problem, having had it happen numerous times.

1. The rear engine mounting has 2 parts. a) The welded plate on the chassis and b) the hanging black metal support.
a) The welded plate has started to sag

2. There is an unexpected amount of movement of the engine/gearbox to the extent that it is hitting the auto gear linkage assembly under the gearbox.

3. Because of the layout of the rear suspension, when the car is hitting bottom, the left rear wheel is moved away from the gearbox which results in the following damage

A number of solutions are available but which is the best to opt for I am not sure. I could:
a) Support the gearbox to stop it dropping.
b) Insert a collar on the wheel universal joint bringing it approx 10mm closer to the gearbox.
c) Have a longer shaft manufactured. There is about 20mm of space inside the gearbox universal coupling that is not used.

OR

maybe someone out there has a better solution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bent rear engine mounting.jpg (51.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Damage to gearbox through excessive movement.jpg (44.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Hole in gearbox from shaft.jpg (63.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 1st January 2010, 17:19
Enthusiast

Youve done well to bend that plate on the chassis!!

I think i'd consider welding a bit of 4mm plate to the part on the chassis, to strenghten the whole bracket, or maybe weld a bit of box to the bottom of it, to stiffen it up.
Adding the plate will also lift the engine ever so slightly on that bracket, which may be to your advantage.

You certianly could add a collar to the driveshaft without a problem, iirc theres plenty of thread left on the shaft for you to get away with it.