Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 24th March 2010, 19:56
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Question Engine Upgrade - help / advice?

Hi Guys,

I have a great opportunity to upgrade my 1.6K exi.....but I want to stay K series to keep the electrics simple and cost low...the plan is 2 stages:-

Stage 1:-

Swap 1.6K engine for a 1.8K non vvc engine with 52mm Throttle body, TF135cams,and decent K&N 57i.

Mate this engine with the current R65 gearbox by using the 1.6 flywheel.

Reckon this take me from 110bhp in the 1.6 to approx 135/140bhp

Stage 2:-

Emerald ECU, wilder cams and some head work (approx 170bhp)

..now the questions:-

Q1:- Can I use the ECU from the 1.6K to power the 1.8K Stage 1 option above.....I reckoned it should be ok?

Q2:- Do I have to swap the flywheel over to mate it to the R65 box?

...main reason I want to keep the R65 box is that the drive shafts, mounting arrangement and linkages are different for the PG1 and I want to stay cable clutch at the moment.

Any thoughts?
Available from eBay
Old 24th March 2010, 20:17
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

What is the load calculating methodolgy on the K-series ecu?

Is it alpha-n with with closed loop trim, or is does it use a mass air flow sensor?

If it's alpha-n I'd imagine the mapping would be sub-optimal, and be too lean for a given throttle angle, but if it's a maf sensor system you'll probably get by assuming the same maf sensor is used on both engines and the 1.6 table extends to the greater air flow the 1.8 should generate.

Why emerald? Is it because of the relatively simple fuel and ignition tables? I've helped map a couple of engines equiped with an Emerald ECU, and whilst the simplicity makes the mapping easy for the home tinkerer, I suspect it comes at the cost of ultimate driveability offered by a greater range of parameters. The adaptive fuel-mapping is quite handy, and neat though you'll need to factor in an additional £130 for an Innovate wideband. Does the k-series use a stepper motor, or PWM idle speed control valve? If the former, does it work with emerald?
Old 24th March 2010, 20:37
Enthusiast

Question

Thanks for the quick reply.....although my mechanical skills are good; unfortunately my knowledge on ECU's and engine electronics is pants! My electronic skills are basic (red to red, black to black!)

But here goes....

Air comes in through the throttle body..throttel controlled via cable operated butterfly valve. There is a vacuum pipe that feeds from the manifold back to the ECU to monitor vacuum level. The book says there is a MAP sensor &
stepper motor to control idle

Was thinking Emerald as many have trod this path and Dave Andrews (K series tuning God) has used them

?
Old 24th March 2010, 20:48
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Rich, it sounds like a speed-density calculation using the map sensor in conjunction with air temp sender.

The throttle I'd guess has a sensor on it, which is used for over-run cut off, ignition tip-in and tip-out, and accelerator pumped based fuelling.

I don't think speed-density systems can compensate beyond the limitations of the fuel trim offered by the closed loop feedback.

I suppose the good thing about the emerald being a well trodden path amongst the k-series tuners, is there will be a host of fairly well sorted base-maps for you to pilfer.

Surely the wiring for a static-cam 1.8 is the same as the 1.6, and a 1.8 ecu can be had for pocket change?

Personally if sticking with a k-series, I'd follow Ken Robson's example and bung a vvc 160 engine in, and save the bother of head work, cams..... and enjoy the well sorted OEM engine, with all the benefits of OEM ECU driveability. Adapting the wiring is surely easy, as the only connections between the car and ecu are switched power, tacho, fuel pump, and immobiliser-wiring-widget?
Old 25th March 2010, 12:34
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Might be best to speak to Mr Chaney. He has converted from a 1.6 to a 143 VVC K a few months ago. Using the R65 box.

Seemed quite straight forward if I recall.
Old 27th March 2010, 20:09
Enthusiast

Going for plan B....

52mm Throttle body fitted ~(£35 from local breakers) and keeping my eye out for some verniers and 633 piper cams:-)

52mmTB has improved throttle response....much sharper and a bit more torque...nothing spectacular, but enough to raise a smile.